Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Highlander where the rear driver side window stopped going down. All the other windows work fine. There is a clicking sound from both the driver's control and rear door control but nothing happens.

It was working fine and then just stopped. No weird sounds or anything.

Any ideas would be helpful.

·
Registered
2005 Highlander
99 Posts
i have a 2005 highlander and have had rear window problems quite a few times. what happened with mine was the arm popped out of the track that pushes the window up and down. it doesn't sound like you are having the same problem but it is very easy to take a look...

take a flat screw driver and gently slip under one side of the door handle "pull the door shut" pocket. push in and you will squeeze a clip then pry up. do the same to other side. now you have the pocket out and can remove that screw.

the other screw is behind a little plastic panel behind the door handle. once that is off to get the door handle cover off you need to gently pry where the handle pivots and the plastic part surrounds it. it is popped on there.

once that is off gently pull on the door panel along the bottom and pop the grommets. then lift "up" on the panel as in up toward the sky to unhook the top.

now take a razor knife and cut back the plastic to access the inner workings. you will duct tape this plastic back together so be gentle.

you will see the arm mechanism and track. there are 3 bolts that hold the motor in place. you will need to remove at least 2 of them and loosen the 3rd to get enoguh play in the motor to move it around.

i hope this helps! if you can post more info about what you find i can recommend a homemade fix i did to keep mine from popping out of the track.

·
Take off, eh!
1,430 Posts
^

Pics as you work would be GREATLY appreciated (not so subtle hint)

G

·
Registered
254 Posts
This seems to be a common problem with the first gen HL. It would be interesting to know the life of the motors that control the windows. I might just keep all mine up, given we get a fair bit of rain here.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I took the car to the dealer and of course they said it was the power window motor that had to be replaced for $540. I passed on the offer but figured I needed a new motor. On the way to work the very next morning the window begun working again. One of my co-workers mentioned that his Toyota Tundra's back power windows will not work when it is very hot outside. Mine stopped working in the beginning of summer and started working just as things started to cool down. I did some research and found some info on similiar issues with different model cars. If I find anything else out I'll post it to this thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 2005 highlander and have had rear window problems quite a few times. what happened with mine was the arm popped out of the track that pushes the window up and down. it doesn't sound like you are having the same problem but it is very easy to take a look...

take a flat screw driver and gently slip under one side of the door handle "pull the door shut" pocket. push in and you will squeeze a clip then pry up. do the same to other side. now you have the pocket out and can remove that screw.

the other screw is behind a little plastic panel behind the door handle. once that is off to get the door handle cover off you need to gently pry where the handle pivots and the plastic part surrounds it. it is popped on there.

once that is off gently pull on the door panel along the bottom and pop the grommets. then lift "up" on the panel as in up toward the sky to unhook the top.

now take a razor knife and cut back the plastic to access the inner workings. you will duct tape this plastic back together so be gentle.

you will see the arm mechanism and track. there are 3 bolts that hold the motor in place. you will need to remove at least 2 of them and loosen the 3rd to get enoguh play in the motor to move it around.

i hope this helps! if you can post more info about what you find i can recommend a homemade fix i did to keep mine from popping out of the track.

What’s your homemade fix?!? I’m using bolts to keep the plastic square between the track without popping out. Not sure if it’ll do what it needs to do. Hopefully so.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had the same issue in my 2006 HL that I got about 2 years ago.Both rear windows came disconnected from the regulator. I got replacement regulators (with motors) from a local wrecking yard for about $40 each. It corrected the issue for just one of the windows. For the other one (driver-side), I manually rolled it all the way up, then disconnected it from the wiring harness.

·
Registered
4 Posts
On my '04 Highlander, I've had both rear windows come out of their tracks because the window glass slipped in its rubber channel. I found this video which showed me how to repair the problem.

For those who have had the same problem, I have wondered if the glass can be glued into the rubber channel with epoxy or other adhesive. I have had to make the repair twice on one window.

·
Registered
13 Posts
On my '04 Highlander, I've had both rear windows come out of their tracks because the window glass slipped in its rubber channel. I found this video which showed me how to repair the problem.

For those who have had the same problem, I have wondered if the glass can be glued into the rubber channel with epoxy or other adhesive. I have had to make the repair twice on one window.
I have had to glue the track on both rear windows, the track slides a little allowing the lift arm to pop out, I used poly urethane construction adhesive and its been ok for a few years now. When the window starts to get slow and struggle to go up motor replacement
is best...I have bought cheap ones on Amaz that worked fine usually less the $50

·
Registered
13 Posts
What’s your homemade fix?!? I’m using bolts to keep the plastic square between the track without popping out. Not sure if it’ll do what it needs to do. Hopefully so.
No need for modifying or rigging something up...the track attached to the window has slid most likely forward and needs to be re positioned and glued so it doesn't do it again. not a fun job to get the window out, if your not inclined to do this and auto window shop should be familiar with this common problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts