Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
doppelkupplungsgetriebe
2015 Jeep Cherokee
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, ive made this thread to get your opinions....as some of u know a few months ago my camry was in an accident and unfortunately i cudnt fix it. i am dorming my first year at college, so the absense of a car was not a problem. but for next september, i was thinking of gettin an apartment and having a car too...which means buying a new one. i have narrowed my choices down to the 2 cars show in the thread title. what i wanted to know is wat u personally would pick if you had the choice, and why. perhaps some of the older members of the forum can offer me some advice on each car as well, an example being on insurance. the STi's insurance scares me :eek: . any replies would be appreciated. :D

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
I would get the Legacy. More refined and less boy-racerish. I would take the hit in performance for a more upscale car. Also, it has the potential to be just as fast as the STI anyway. Also, it costs less which is always a good thing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
isn't the sti like $10,000 more than the GT?

And if money wasn't any problem, I would go for the STI because I like smaller cars, but the legacy is definately the better bang for your buck, at least IMO.

·
doppelkupplungsgetriebe
2015 Jeep Cherokee
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
from the way i built them, the STi comes out to 7k over the legacy, but its not really the price that concerns me....im 18....insurance companies hate fast cars ...do the math lol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
have you gotten any insurance quotes? I know the sti will be more, but I am curious about how much it is.

I would think that you will get bored of the sti after a while and the practicality and luxury you get with the legacy would be better, but then again you are 18 so ;) .

·
What the Pho?
2000 Solara
1,433 Posts
damn, freshman and with a nice new car. Its hard keeping my Solara nice/clean looking.

Trying to have few people as possible get their dam,n dirty shoes in there. Lol

I go with STI. Just that it fits my age and lifestyle for now.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
I'd take the GT over the STI.. refined yet fast as hell. Take the $10,000 that the STI costs more and do up the GT as a sleeper. :D

·
doppelkupplungsgetriebe
2015 Jeep Cherokee
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmm thanks for all the replies guys! definetly going to consider all the pros and cons. and yes, i called an insurance company...umm..since i live in NY and my family has never had a car over 130 hp...lol...the quote was kinda pricey under my dads name, and pure insanity under my name for teh STi. still have yet to call and ask about a legacy....

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
i dont really think the price of the car really matters its the insurance that hurts you. STi's are a little more over rated. PPL at my school have them. all you ever hear is the BOV and thats about it. Legacys would be the better way to go. I'm 18 as well. if i had a choice really and i can afford it i'll take the STI and show off with it in a heartbeat. But seeing as how i don't have the money I'll get the lesser valve car. If you are getting a legacy why don't you consider a 95-98 BMW 5 series like a 5.40i, same price range and lot more fun and those cars can take off on the highways like nothing.

·
doppelkupplungsgetriebe
2015 Jeep Cherokee
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bowlofturtle said:
i dont really think the price of the car really matters its the insurance that hurts you. STi's are a little more over rated. PPL at my school have them. all you ever hear is the BOV and thats about it. Legacys would be the better way to go. I'm 18 as well. if i had a choice really and i can afford it i'll take the STI and show off with it in a heartbeat. But seeing as how i don't have the money I'll get the lesser valve car. If you are getting a legacy why don't you consider a 95-98 BMW 5 series like a 5.40i, same price range and lot more fun and those cars can take off on the highways like nothing.
hehe well i really wanted a 540i 6mt but i dunno...something about AWD makes the subarus more attractive to me :D

·
Reppin my Home
343 Posts
The STI is horribly expensive, and I find the GT is pretty nice looking.

And btw,

I like the wrx. Fast and awd. DOesnt it have a turbo?
Hehe.. of course. All subaru's are flat fours, turbo. Also the STI is the god version of the wrx. With a HP rating of 300hp\300lbs of trq.. it's quick.

STI = Subaru Technica Institute

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,706 Posts
Merciles said:
isn't the sti like $10,000 more than the GT?

And if money wasn't any problem, I would go for the STI because I like smaller cars, but the legacy is definately the better bang for your buck, at least IMO.
Actually, the Legacy GT and the WRX STi doesn't have that much of a price difference. The Legacy GT (With 250HP/Turbo) 5MT starts around $27,000, the wagon costs another $2,000. WRX STi starts at $32,000. You can get them cheaper if you're a persistant little bastard, but yeah. I prefer the Legacy GT than a STi. It's a lot bigger, and also, it's only a second slower than the STI. ;)

Also, BMWs are known to have engine troubles. even on the new ones. My mechanic's garage neighbor only specializes in M-Benz and BMWs. Everyday, there's at least over ten M-Benz and BMWS stacked outside. I even saw five 2004 M-Benz S-class, E-class, and alot of C-Class outside, including 2004 BMW 5 series and a 740iL. :(

·
doppelkupplungsgetriebe
2015 Jeep Cherokee
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
xpeed said:
Actually, the Legacy GT and the WRX STi doesn't have that much of a price difference. The Legacy GT (With 250HP/Turbo) 5MT starts around $27,000, the wagon costs another $2,000. WRX STi starts at $32,000. You can get them cheaper if you're a persistant little bastard, but yeah. I prefer the Legacy GT than a STi. It's a lot bigger, and also, it's only a second slower than the STI. ;)

thanks for the input, but i wud like to cite taht wen i did my research, the STi came out to around 32k, but the legacy came out to around 26, and thats not even invoice. but yeah, the point its its cheaper and the 0-60 time is only about .9 seconds behind an STi. the main reason i kept the legacy in the game was becuase it has the same exact EJ257 engine as the STI, but with slightly revised TMIC. something about the intake is tweeked as well, but its mostly the ECU. drop a piggyback on the ECU and boost her up to slightly above stock sti boost (13.5) and u have one hell of a fast, luxurious sedan.....i think im leaning toward the legacy now :D

·
Oh Glayven!
134 Posts
STi = sexy. Enough said.

·
doppelkupplungsgetriebe
2015 Jeep Cherokee
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
CamNub said:
Was a infiniti g35 ever one of your choices?
it was, but there are some reasons im not gettin it.

a) i live in NY, lots of killer winters...AWD takes the cake over RWD...

and b) (the most important reason) TOOOOOOO many of my freinds are gettin G35 coupes, and the sedan doesnt appeal to me, so i decided to go for something that none of my freinds has yet

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
What about a TC? Its cheaper and all the money you save could be used on mods.

But to answer your question, i'd take an STI. They are pretty quick.

Edit I'd actually rather get a Supra TT. They run around 30k for a good milaged ones.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts