Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Chef with a Taco attitude
05 White Tacoma
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just recently got an 05 Tacoma 2.7L auto. I like the sound of the exhaust but I want it louder and to have a little bit more punch in the petal, while not sacrificing the fuel economy too much. I've done some research on headers and I like the price of the LC Engineering Part #1041055. and Pro Flow Cat-Back Exhaust System Part # 54-11382. I've heard that there is no reason to go with an aftermarket Catalytic Converter because the factory is a high flow cat. I've done the aftermarket muffler on another vehicle and regret not going with the full exhaust. Are these good upgrade for my truck or just a waste of time???

·
lover of teh boobies
'05 Tacoma AccessCab
2,547 Posts
Depends on your definition of a waste of time. If you're the kind of guy that likes squeezing every last pony out of an engine, sure they're worth it. But really, the exhaust isn't going to give you much more power over stock.

·
05 White Tacoma
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not looking for loud per-say like a ricer but deeper... Would the header and intake be the way to go?

·
Registered
48 Posts
if you want more power just boost it. pretty sure there is supercharger and turbo kits for the 2.7.
I'll second that. An exhaust is a waste of money and time if you want more power. Boost it. TRD used to (may still) make a supercharger for the 2.7. The part number was 00602-17620-705. I'd look into that.

Sound effects are okay, but it sounds like you're looking for actual power. Other than an engine swap, boosting is the most bang for your buck.

·
Completely Numb
TRD Sport
824 Posts
Yeah, but then he wouldn't get to install a blower on a 2.7.
The only supercharger I've heard of for the 2.7 was through Alpine, and they don't make it anymore. And still, even if he does supercharge it, he won't get the torque or horsepower figures out of it that he would have gotten if he had just gotten a V6. By the time it's all said and done, it probably would have been smarter financially and reliability wise to just have sprung for the V6.

But let's be real here. OP, you're not going to get an MPG AND Power increase. If one goes up, the other will go down. Pick one.

Reactions: ChefTaco2.7

·
05 White Tacoma
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I got the 2.7 for little to nothing so I'm happy I got it for the price I paid. I went from a 2000 to 2005 for $4,000. I appreciate the impute guys! I think I'll just stick with it stock until I can afford to go with the v6.

·
lover of teh boobies
'05 Tacoma AccessCab
2,547 Posts
The only supercharger I've heard of for the 2.7 was through Alpine, and they don't make it anymore. And still, even if he does supercharge it, he won't get the torque or horsepower figures out of it that he would have gotten if he had just gotten a V6. By the time it's all said and done, it probably would have been smarter financially and reliability wise to just have sprung for the V6.

But let's be real here. OP, you're not going to get an MPG AND Power increase. If one goes up, the other will go down. Pick one.
Alpine doesn't make it anymore? Their site must be wrong then :p

http://www.alpine-developments.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=62&Itemid=72

·
Yo quiero Taco 4 wheel!
2008 Tacoma AC 4x4
185 Posts
I just recently got an 05 Tacoma 2.7L auto. I like the sound of the exhaust but I want it louder and to have a little bit more punch in the petal, while not sacrificing the fuel economy too much. I've done some research on headers and I like the price of the LC Engineering Part #1041055. and Pro Flow Cat-Back Exhaust System Part # 54-11382. I've heard that there is no reason to go with an aftermarket Catalytic Converter because the factory is a high flow cat. I've done the aftermarket muffler on another vehicle and regret not going with the full exhaust. Are these good upgrade for my truck or just a waste of time???
A little late, but...learn from my experience and regrets. I had an LCE header, high flow cat, Borla cat-back, and an K&N intake on my '99 Taco 2.7 5spd, to compensate for over sized tires. The boost in hp was very minimal, and not worth the $$$ IMHO. I initially started with the LCE header because my OEM exhaust manifold cracked out of warranty. If I had to do it all over again, I would have spent the money on new gears. I bought my '08 2.7 for economy. It serves my needs, and does what I need it to do. If you want power, you might reconsider owning a 2.7 Taco, and maybe trade it in for something else with more power. The 2.7 is a great motor, but it is what it is. My .02 cents.

·
05 White Tacoma
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I love my truck don't get me wrong, I just like to go further and faster. I always end up with the vehicle you shouldn't twik.. lol,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts