Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2005 Tacoma Double Cab 4.0 without towing package that has a 100amp alternator. Is it possible to make a direct swap with the 130amp alternator from the towing package model without any modifications, or would I have to do the Big 3. Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
08' Tacoma Dbl Cab
5,604 Posts
Big three would be, battery, alternator, wiring?

If so, then yes I would put in a larger battery and make sure the wiring is large enough to handle the extra juice. (I am not sure if there is even a difference in the wiring to the battery between the trucks with or without the tow package)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate it 08TRDOFFROAD. I'm hoping the wiring between the 100amp & 130amp are the same. It would make sense for Toyota from a cost perspective. I've been kicking myself in the groin for 5 years for not getting the towing package. It really does make significant difference. Surely someone out there has been in my shoes. Please let me know if you have been successfull with this swap.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I believe the tow package includes a trans cooler as well. Keep that in mind. I have heard there are some good after market options to consider.

·
Premium Member
08' Tacoma Dbl Cab
5,604 Posts
Appreciate it 08TRDOFFROAD. I'm hoping the wiring between the 100amp & 130amp are the same. It would make sense for Toyota from a cost perspective. I've been kicking myself in the groin for 5 years for not getting the towing package. It really does make significant difference. Surely someone out there has been in my shoes. Please let me know if you have been successfull with this swap.
I can't imagine from a cost perspective that Toyota would do anytihing different either. I believe your truck will even be prewired for the trailer lights, the connection is just tucked up/zip tied in the bumper/spare tire area somewhere.

I would imagine you should be able to just bolt on the larger alternator without issue. I would, like I stated earlier replace the battery with one the rated to be in a truck equipped with the tow package.

·
Black V6 6pds AC
50 Posts
You may check the OEM repair manual to see if there is a difference in servicing them. I highly doubt it.
Then check Autozone to see if belt sizes differ.

And please let us know bout your experience. I bought mine used and wish to get more juice outta this thing also.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=2005++Toyota+Tacoma+OEM+Repair+Manual+ Introduction
I like the third link.
Search/Scroll in page for "1GR-FE Charging"

·
Registered
06 RR DC LB
24 Posts
The tow package has a 140A fuse vs. 120A for the regular, also there is a different power wire that goes from the alternator to the battery for the two.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Big 3 is alt to batt +, engine block to ground, batt - to ground.

How much would you be paying for the upgraded alt vs. getting a larger battery w/ a higher reserve/discharge rate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Occasionally, I see the 130amp oem alternator going for around $100, slightly used, there are a few really nice ho alternators out there but naturally at a high price. HighTQCummins, are you suggesting something similar to an optima battery?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts