Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4runner
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read and article in Truck Trend saying that the 2005 tacoma v6 uses preminum gas. It seems to me that alot of new trucks are requiring preminum gas. Why is that? Do they think that consumers can spend 2.00 plus gas.

·
Registered
406 Posts
its all a bunch of BS, any engine in any car should be able to run on the lower octane gasses. the cheap stuff runs just as good on the road, unless you're into drag racing or something like that, than the higher #'s. We tested this in our 2000 honda odyssey that requires the expensive stuff, and you can tell almost no difference in mileage or power.. just my opinon though

-Adam-

·
abdiver
2004 4runner V8 AWD
84 Posts
Yes they recommend the 2005 tacoma v6 uses preminum gas! But I think they do that to crank out the max HP on the engine. With computers in engine if You use lower octane gas it changes the timing to run. you might lose some preformance or milage but not much, I live in the flat lands and use reg but when I go to the mountains loaded I switch tp prem gas.

·
Registered
45 Posts
With damn gas prices now, my wallet can only afford 89 considering that I drive about 70 miles a day. Gas here in SD is about $2.50-2.60 a gallon, that is steep considering months back they were at around $2.10-$2.20.

Well then again "recomended" right. so it should not affect tha TACO's overall performance if your using it as a daily driver.

How many miles a day do you guys put on your taco?

·
Hey There...
05' Prerunner Taco
920 Posts
My truck runs excellent on good ol 87 grade. I dont feel a difference with premium at all.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I used premium for the first 2000 miles and than tried regular grade and did not notice and power loss or mileage loss. Been using 87 for the past 3000 miles and now with the money I save, I can get a 40oz, bag of chips and give the change to the bum outside every fill up. :cool:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Worm: Ditto the "bull" remarks.

My 05 V-6 Tacoma loves the 85 octane (I live at 7,000 feet) and only gets the "good stuff" once every couple months.

Git R Done!

:whatwhat:

Boo

·
Registered
254 Posts
Turtleboy said:
I used premium for the first 2000 miles and than tried regular grade and did not notice and power loss or mileage loss. Been using 87 for the past 3000 miles and now with the money I save, I can get a 40oz, bag of chips and give the change to the bum outside every fill up. :cool:
Then you're a lucky, um, turtle-man!

My Father-in-law broke-in his Tundra on high-octane and, now, he can't use anything else.

Boo

·
One Cool Taco
Double Cab SB
88 Posts
I use 89 most of the time, but I have not noticed much of a difference with 87 or 91. That being said I do not drag race my truck, I just drive it like a bat out of hell.

·
Registered
58 Posts
good lord

Lots of opinion, little fact.

Needing higher octane gas is not BS, it's simple mechanics. The more power you try to get out of a small engine, the higher the compression, and the higher the risk of detonation. While it's true that the Toyota ECU is able to retard the timing enough to eliminate detonation using 87, or they would require premium, that timing adjustment will rob you of performance. With engines that cannot retard the timing far enough, you're running the risk of damaging your engine by running out-of-spec fuel.

Does this engine require Premium? No.

Are you losing performance by not running Premium? Yes. Maybe not enough for you to notice, depending on how you drive, but there is loss.

Is the fact that some engines simply do require premium BS? No.

·
Registered
25 Posts
ghindman said:
good lord

With engines that cannot retard the timing far enough, you're running the risk of damaging your engine by running out-of-spec fuel.
So I am clear on this as this has been a concern of mine as a probable buyer of the new V6, Toyota is able to retard the timing enough so that there is no long term damage to the engine if you use 87?

·
Registered
348 Posts
EngineerBoo said:
Then you're a lucky, um, turtle-man!

My Father-in-law broke-in his Tundra on high-octane and, now, he can't use anything else.

Boo
did he re-set his computer when he started running regular gas?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Loudnoud said:
So I am clear on this as this has been a concern of mine as a probable buyer of the new V6, Toyota is able to retard the timing enough so that there is no long term damage to the engine if you use 87?
yes, you should be safe. I am sure most of the people who buy Totota's just put whatever is the cheapest gas out there and Toyota should be smart enough to know this and to make their vehicles run safely on regular gas.

·
Chicks dig it...!
'06 Tacoma EC Sport
1,893 Posts
My dealer told me it is OK to run it on 87, with a slight decrease in performance/fuel economy that is probably not noticable in regular driving...

·
abdiver
2004 4runner V8 AWD
84 Posts
ghindman said:
good lord

Lots of opinion, little fact.

Needing higher octane gas is not BS, it's simple mechanics. The more power you try to get out of a small engine, the higher the compression, and the higher the risk of detonation. While it's true that the Toyota ECU is able to retard the timing enough to eliminate detonation using 87, or they would require premium, that timing adjustment will rob you of performance. With engines that cannot retard the timing far enough, you're running the risk of damaging your engine by running out-of-spec fuel.

Does this engine require Premium? No.

Are you losing performance by not running Premium? Yes. Maybe not enough for you to notice, depending on how you drive, but there is loss.

Is the fact that some engines simply do require premium BS? No.
FACT is you would be pinging bad if engine could not retard enough.. You would be able notice and up grade gas to next highter grade.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've run 87 oct. in my taco since the day i bought it. 18k miles later, it stills runs like the day i drove out of the dealership.

·
Go Bills!
Tacoma, 4DR, 2WD
291 Posts
I've used 87 Octane now for 12,000 miles -- my truck runs just fine. No pinging, and I've topped 22 MPG using this grade at steady speed, on the highway.

You are right -- lots of opinions, but I'm a believer in what I've experienced -- use regular gas and don't baby your Tacomas too much. Read your manual carefully -- I think it says that 87 is just fine. Just drive it, don 't worry, and enjoy it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
decoy562 said:
You can do a search on this, it has been talked about many times.

That said, it's recommended for optimum performance, but not needed. I use 89...alot of guys just use 87 and are fine.

My manual says use 87 or better. So 87 is okay. 'Nuf said.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts