Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have two questions regarding about my Toyota 2005 Camry.

First question is for the oil filter, does quality matters? Can I walk into Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire and grab one off the shelve and is there a specific model I have to look for? I am really newbie at this. I don't want to end up grabbing a crappy filter, quality matters for me.

Second question, where exactly can I place my jack & stand? I lost my car manual so I haven't had a chance to check it out. I probably know where to place the jack but the stand, where do you put it? I don't want to damage my car's base.

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
Not just as a Person who has worked at a Dealer for a very long time, but honestly, there is no filter out there that is better than a Toyota OEM one. Unless you really don't have access to a dealer, how much are you going to save? an OEM filter retails for $5.41; there are plenty of places you can get those for much less too. I am one of them(no this isn't a sales pitch).

There are four lift points on the Camry; two front and two rear, and it is kind of hard to tell someone where they are, but here goes. Look a the metal on the body at the bottom, it should be straight all the way across except you will see one or two small u shaped notches/cutouts. One after the front wheel, and one before the rear wheel on each side. This is the lift point and where you should put the stands. I would also suggest using a good 2ton or better floor jack and not the one out of the trunk, and also be sure to put the vehicle on four stands and not two.

Good luck

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
read your car owner manual,it is written there
READ the original post. He said he didn't have a manual. Here's the rule: You can act like a jerk if you have read the whole thread and understand what is said.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I use Puralator PureOne. I think it is better than OEM but it is likely more expensive. About jackstands above toyota guy said it good

·
Banned
Car
417 Posts
This site is to help others. Why don't you post the link for him to download the manual. That seems more helpful then bashing him.
Forum Rules

16. There will be no posts or threads containing a direct link to Toyota Factory Service Manuals. All threads about any copyrighted Toyota material will be deleted. First offense will result in a warning, second a temporary ban, third a permanent ban.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow thank you very much guys! This is what I am looking for.

Also, when placing a jack and a stand on a car, can I use the emergency brake so that the car will not roll back or forward? Or will that screw up the tranny?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Wow thank you very much guys! This is what I am looking for.

Also, when placing a jack and a stand on a car, can I use the emergency brake so that the car will not roll back or forward? Or will that screw up the tranny?
The factory jack should only be used when changing a tire. Dont attempt to work on the car or go under the car while your using the factory jack. They are not very secure. Yes always put your e-brake on. The transmission doesn't have anything to do with the e-brake. I suggest you buy a after market hydraulic jack for your car and some stands. Not only will it make the job safer, but alot easier. Specially if your gonna do a brake job or oil change etc. The only time you should ever attempt to go under your car is if you have it secure on ramps or jack stands. If you wanna take it a extra step chuck the wheels.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've driven 200,000 miles in my 02 Camry for a decade, changing oil and filter every month. You can perform this without lifting the vehicle in seven minutes without any power tools if you use a long socket (6 inch deep) for the oil pan screw, combined with either a long breaker bar or a long ratchet to help you torque that oil pan screw with the least effort and clearance. Use an extender to get your ratchet to reach your oil filter, and the Toyota oil filter removing tool. Seven minutes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've driven 200,000 miles in my 02 Camry for a decade, changing oil and filter every month. You can perform this without lifting the vehicle in seven minutes without any power tools if you use a long socket (6 inch deep) for the oil pan screw, combined with either a long breaker bar or a long ratchet to help you torque that oil pan screw with the least effort and clearance. Use an extender to get your ratchet to reach your oil filter, and the Toyota oil filter removing tool. Seven minutes.
To be honest, the clearance on my Camry is too tight to fit my head under. Reading your reply, 7 mins is pretty fast.

·
Registered
221 Posts

First question is for the oil filter, does quality matters? Can I walk into Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire and grab one off the shelve and is there a specific model I have to look for? I am really newbie at this. I don't want to end up grabbing a crappy filter, quality matters for me.

Second question, where exactly can I place my jack & stand? I lost my car manual so I haven't had a chance to check it out. I probably know where to place the jack but the stand, where do you put it? I don't want to damage my car's base.
Your first sentence says, "Does quality matter?"
Then you say, "I dont want to end up grabbing a crappy filter, quality matters for me.

If you're asking me, you answered your own question...

·
Registered
271 Posts
We are talking about two completely different generations here. Perhaps the motor is the same but the body is different. I did mine with out putting it on ramps and trust me it was hell. My car is a SE so the lip kit makes it a pain. I have ramps, so why not use them. I guess if the OP does it with ramps or jack stands at first and learns and gets familiar with the bottom of the vehicle he might be able to pull it off. I do my geo prizm with out ramps in literally 10 minutes.

·
Registered
camry
583 Posts
I use FRAM, WIX, or Mobil 1 filters.

·
FLIP'N THE G-5 WHIP
2005 Black Camry
895 Posts
I have 2005 Camry with 112K miles and have never replaced the gas filter. I think i will do that soon.

·
FLIP'N THE G-5 WHIP
2005 Black Camry
895 Posts

buy only premium oil like Castro, Penzoil, at walmart then take to the mechanic or do yourself and put good oil in there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts