Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have Goodyear Triple Treads on my 2000 4-Runner and I really do love them. They are great on dry and wet roads, but I heard they are not that great on snow/ice; even though they are graded for snow. *I live in Los Angeles, so I wouldn't know anything about snow driving.

They are pretty quite, I'd say average, but the biggest advantage is the tread life. I believe the tread life is rated: *720 (*not positive on the exact tread rating); while the average tire is rated 400-500. It is a long long lasting, high quality tire. It has a sporty look, but I would also check out their Fortera Silent Armor tires; which are made to run quite and have a smoother ride. I'm a fan of Goodyear, but you'll get a different answer from almost every person. GL

·
Registered
56 Posts
All tires are a compromise. What's important to you? Off road mud and snow? Highways? Cost? Wet or dry traction? Noise/Look (aggressive)? Smooth ride? Long wear?

I prefer Michelin if cost isn't concern or BF Goodrich if your want to save $ - both available at Costco and frequent $60-70 off a set of 4.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
All tires are a compromise. What's important to you? Off road mud and snow? Highways? Cost? Wet or dry traction? Noise/Look (aggressive)? Smooth ride? Long wear?
x2

Let us know whether you're looking for:

1. Primarily off-road or primarily highway.
  2. Do you want a mudder? Those are specialized tires that are terrible on the road.
  3. Is performance in the snow important?
  4. What's more important, performance or long wear?
  5. Performance or low cost?

Give us something to go on and we'll be able to give some better recs.

I'm on my third set of Bridgestone Dueler ATs - obviously I like them. They perform quite well in most off-road situations (except mud) and they give the best on-road performance of any of the true AT tires. They are much quieter than most, offer excellent dry traction and amazing wet traction, and are excellent in snow and on ice. And they last really well - about 60k miles if you don't drive crazy. They're not cheap, but they are excellent.

There are Dueler MTs that would do better off-road and especially in mud, and there are HTs that are primarily highway but better off-road than most highway tires. If you were looking for primarily off-road or mud tires, Duelers would not be your best bet, but if road-handling is important, Duelers merit a place on your short list.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts