Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it seems my alternator is in intermittent failure mechanic says probably the voltage regulator. I was looking around and i saw just the regulator as a part i was wondering if it was worth it to try and change out or just the whole thing i will admit i am trying to save some money

Tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i didn't think is was worth wile but it was something at came up in the search and it did peak my curiosity if it was an option

·
Official PITA
Solara 'Vert & ES350
602 Posts
If the alternator is not making bearing noises, it's a way to extend its life.
New regulator might be easy to get to, and swap out; also get new "brush holder"
How many miles on the car?

Parts: Here

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the alternator is not making bearing noises, it's a way to extend its life.
New regulator might be easy to get to, and swap out; also get new "brush holder"
How many miles on the car?

Parts: Here
sorry internet problem due to storm but the car has 156k dont know it the alternators orginal but no warning light have come on since being load tested

·
Official PITA
Solara 'Vert & ES350
602 Posts
Since the problem is currently gone, you might want to forget about it until it returns, or the weather gets warmer.
Buy a cheap multimeter, $5-$8 at Harbor Freight, check voltage output, needs to be above 13-13.5v and should be about 14.5v. Look Here for discussion: LINK
Edit: Noticed your mechanic says probably regulator - check eBay Here

At 156k -- if it's original -- bearing can be worn, ditto for brushes. (Did following myself, on a BMW with 110k where lights would dim & flicker at idle) IF you can easily get to the alternator, disconnect battery and remove alternator. Disconnect and Clean all electrical contacts - Regulator & Brushes & GROUND connection.

Brushes are cheap - around $15-$19 delivered from rockauto

Think about changing brushes, but first clean everything up, which cured my problem for 5-10,000 miles.
Again, if the bearing is going, as-in making growling noises, LINK, you want a new/rebuilt alternator, since doubt you want to remove and press in a new bearing.
Replacements

1 - 7 of 7 Posts