Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
200k miles Camry. Need to replace front struts. Should I reuse the springs or buy assembly? Also, any suggestions on which brand to go with?

·
イリジウム
11,797 Posts
I’d go with complete assemblies. I prefer Monroe QuickStruts (not he cheaper Roadmatics). Check rockauto, and there are often $100 off all four. Get an alignment afterwards. Consider lifetime alignment that are honored even with parts replacement.

If you like a firmer ride consider KYB, but I think those are too harsh and don’t absorb road bumps well. YMMV

And search up a 5% off code for rockauto.

·
6,499 Posts
Absolutely Monroe Quick struts. Excellent choice. Give them about 2-4 months to settle, ride becomes very cushy. PLus, it's about 20 min per side job.
Be ready for camber bolts install. As you will have to re align front end and for that year, upper strut to knuckle bolts are likely worn out and camber will be off. Camber bolts are around $25 parts stores and are rather easy to install - if you read excellent write up on this on Subaru forum. Subaru owners got some fixation on negative camber wheels.....

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I went with kyb strut plus complete assembly, 230k miles , regretted deeply right after installation when clunking of kyb softer and extra loop of spring banging each other. now waiting for a better mood to swap the used oem spring back.

·
Registered
07 Camry LE V6
19 Posts
Hmmm.
Before you do that.
Assuming that there was no mistake, on the strut alignment installation....

I would make sure that the two lower bolts are tight.
Then with the suspension lowered/car on the ground.
I would loosen the three upper strut nuts.
To set them.
(Car must be on level ground.)
Push car left, right, back, forth.
Put some muscle.... easier done with two people.
Then tighten the nuts to specks.

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I don't know how different installation techniques will fix subpar kyb spring. Took me 3 days of driving to find the painful truth on clunking, which never happened before installation, visible paint scratch on the brand new kyb spring when coils bang on each other. I have removed, dissembled, and installed 10+ times, I ended up putting a made in USA 5/8" heater core hose as a sleeve to silent the clunking

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I also need to vent my frustration on lifetime alignment on firestore, after getting done 2 or 3 times, they called me back and persuade for other not needed service and repairs, when I said no, they would just let my vehicle sat on their parking lot, even no other vehicle or customer inline waiting, and at the end of the day, I called and they said oh, not done yet.
And I also realize pissing them off is not in my favor if my vehicle is in their hand, then I googled about Firestone lifetime alignment, many vehicles owners who bought lifetime alignment have exact same experience.

·
AllThingsToyotaEnthusiast
Gen 6.5 Camry SE
390 Posts
Avoid Firestone at all costs. I don't even think they offer any kind of alignment tool training. I had lifetime with my previous car and despite me even writing down what I was experiencing in bold on the form, they just either can't read or had no idea what I was describing. I finaly gave up because despite my repeated returns there I just finally decided to do my alignment myself with a tape measure an angle and a couple jacks. Honestly it was super easy and my car now tracks perfectly straight with the steering wheel in perfect center. The two things I complained about were finally fixed by me for less than $5 bucks. It's been almost 10k miles and no visible tire wear. I'm confident anybody can do Camry alignment. Looing at it all they clearly designed it to be easy.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello New here,
just bought a 2005 camry .It has 200k miles on it. Struts need replacement but they are not too bad. My thought process is if i can do it my self its worth it. But paying mechanic 1200$ for all four not worth it on such old car better off just driving it like how it is.

in the past i have taken on DIY projects like changing disc brakes and valve cover gasket.
Should a newbie DIYER like me should take on strut replacement project ? or leave it to experts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You should do it yourself, I did mine this summer on my 02 camry by looking at YouTube videos. It's simple. The 2 front struts were replaced with complete struts but the rear I did with buying the struts alone and reusing the old spring n mount and rubber insulator.
I used kyb for all. Cost me about $360 for all the struts.
It handles really well, but a bit harsh.
I guess with time it will get softer.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I don't care for aftermarket springs and don't use/recommend quickstruts.

So, I recommend ordering OE springs from an online dealer using the VIN.

For struts and hardware, use any common NAME BRAND parts. Inspect and reuse parts if you must.

If you have tools, any DIY'er that can follow directions can do the job.

You might need to 'rent' a 'spring compressor' from your local autopart store. And, I would use a torque wrench on every nut/bolt you touch.

Most tools can be found at harborfrieght at a fair price.

·
イリジウム
11,797 Posts
Yeah I hear you. Shame on Firestone pulling stuff like that, given the Camry is easy to align and takes little time compared to even a Honda with adjustable camber eccentrics.

If there’s another Firestone nearby maybe alternate between the two.

I also need to vent my frustration on lifetime alignment on firestore, after getting done 2 or 3 times, they called me back and persuade for other not needed service and repairs, when I said no, they would just let my vehicle sat on their parking lot, even no other vehicle or customer inline waiting, and at the end of the day, I called and they said oh, not done yet.
And I also realize pissing them off is not in my favor if my vehicle is in their hand, then I googled about Firestone lifetime alignment, many vehicles owners who bought lifetime alignment have exact same experience.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,245 Posts
Hit or miss with any store. I will still take my car to do alignments at Firestone but I don't do it much because I don't need to. I've used the alignment machine while I as still in school and I've heard some stories about other techs at dealerships. So it is not that big of a deal for me. Getting stuff for free "has its price". That price being they probably rather not work on your vehicle whether they are busy or not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Buy a complete assembly that way you get rid of your spring which have 200 thousand miles and the danger of using a spring compressor being a DIY.
That way it's just nuts and rusted or frozen bolt you have to worry about not the danger of using a spring compressor.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'd just buy the whole assembly especially if you're doing the install, it's an easy swap. And also the spring compressor can be dangerous.
If you're just doing an OEM swap check out MOOG/Monroe/KYBs I used those brands on my older Hondas and had no issues!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’d go with complete assemblies. I prefer Monroe QuickStruts (not he cheaper Roadmatics). Check rockauto, and there are often $100 off all four. Get an alignment afterwards. Consider lifetime alignment that are honored even with parts replacement.

If you like a firmer ride consider KYB, but I think those are too harsh and don’t absorb road bumps well. YMMV

And search up a 5% off code for rockauto.
How do I find the $100 off deals? I keep seeing it mentioned.

I'm leaning towards the QuickStruts tbh.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,245 Posts
Just keep an eye on Rock Auto, Monroe, and the KYB websites once a week. They are advertised every so often.

·
イリジウム
11,797 Posts
You’ll see sellers advertise too. Come year end I think there’s another one coming.

See also Monroe’s website. Under “Resource Center” -> “Promotions”.

·
Look beyond the marque
155 Posts
If you get quick struts, make sure to tighten the center nut at the strut mount when the vehicle is on the ground. Not too tight but just snug since the torque is not too high (around 50-52 N*m/35-38 lb*ft).

If you decide to rebuild struts, I would suggest to buy (2) two interchangeable fork coil spring compressors which are commonly used on European cars. You can buy them from Ebay.

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,639 Posts
To buck a few here: there are folks that have reported fit issues with the quick struts, especially Monroe. Something about the mount. The spring is likely just fine as is the knuckle assembly (its just metal). Meaning you are buying a lot of steel for no reason when you get an entire strut (well, the reason is it is easier to change). The shock itself is much cheaper and you can rent spring compressor from AutoZone for free, no need to buy the tool. It is more work, but you save bucks and learn a few things.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts