Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Look beyond the marque
155 Posts
mine sounds more like creaking like an old car
I would make sure the center nut on the strut mount is snug. If "creaking" noise persists, I would re-check orientation of bearing plate/upper coil spring seat and strut mount.

Someone mentioned Monroe struts which has had somewhat bad reviews but glad to hear the stockers are KYB
I wouldn't mind Sachs (owned by ZF) supplying OEM struts. 2013+ Honda Accords and 2013+ Nissan Maximas have OE Sachs struts. I recently put in Sachs Super Touring struts on a '00 Avalon and the ride is neither too firm nor too soft. I believe the factory struts were supplied by Sachs but I did not see the branding on the label (just a OE part #).

heard KYB struts are better than Monroe
Subjective. Monroe OESpectrum is supposed to be similarly valved as OEM struts.

Heard that the Monroe brand has come a long way. Time will tell if Tennoco (the parent company) will cut corners since they acquired Federal-Mogul (which owns brands such as Anco, Beck/Arnley, Champion, Fel-Pro, Ferodo, Moog, Wagner). Side note: what's up with all these mergers in the past decade?

Is Garbriel still a no-go for most coupes/sedans/mini-vans/CUVs, except for SUV & truck applications?

·
イリジウム
11,797 Posts
KYB does give a firmer ride, and many like the handling that comes with it.

For me it just doesn’t do a good job over less than perfect road surfaces as far as absorbing lane tiles and road cracks, etc. yeah I personally don’t care for KYBs.

I’ve stayed away from the Monroe Sensatracs for ages because I thought the grooved piston rod design was a joke, but their newer OESpectrum works very well.

·
イリジウム
11,797 Posts
I guess some companies saw car sales now peaking and are looking ahead to position themselves in the aftermarket. Those brands are their parts outlets.

Sachs are decent, they give the firm but not harsh ride characteristics that I just never saw in KYBs. That’s why I think KYBs are just poorly valved.

Some would prefer an even firmer Bilstein B6 or B8 monotubes. Members in the truck subgroups talk fave of Bilstein 4000/5000 series truck shocks.

Not to mention KYB is a.k.a. “K”eep “Y”our “B”ilsteins!

I used to prefer the valving of Gabriel Ultras, although the later ones I think were tuned too soft (the first ones were tuned, I’d say, closer to a softer Sachs), until Monroe OES came along.

Heard that the Monroe brand has come a long way. Time will tell if Tennoco (the parent company) will cut corners since they acquired Federal-Mogul (which owns brands such as Anco, Beck/Arnley, Champion, Fel-Pro, Ferodo, Moog, Wagner). Side note: what's up with all these mergers in the past decade?

Is Garbriel still a no-go for most coupes/sedans/mini-vans/CUVs, except for SUV & truck applications?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would make sure the center nut on the strut mount is snug. If "creaking" noise persists, I would re-check orientation of bearing plate/upper coil spring seat and strut mount.

I wouldn't mind Sachs (owned by ZF) supplying OEM struts. 2013+ Honda Accords and 2013+ Nissan Maximas have OE Sachs struts. I recently put in Sachs Super Touring struts on a '00 Avalon and the ride is neither too firm nor too soft. I believe the factory struts were supplied by Sachs but I did not see the branding on the label (just a OE part #).

The nut was covered with a sticker stating not to touch. I can confirm its tightened to spec if anyone can give me correct torque spec for it? Unlike others stating they see proof of spring rub, mine seem to make noise without full load so thats why I was moving onto other things like the sway bars....

·
Registered
55 Posts

Doesn't matter what aftermarket or OEM parts you use these days. Mostly all come from China. And for the last few years or so they all are hit or miss. Companies selling refurbished parts as new all over.
I spent $520 on Monroe shocks and they were a major disappointment.
I'd still say get some aftermarket cheap ones since the car is over 200k miles. No point of using such expensive shocks like KYB and Monroe on an old car. I am sure ones sold on Ebay by Detroit Axle and others might have almost 70% - 80% of same level of performance as major brands.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Doesn't matter what aftermarket or OEM parts you use these days. Mostly all come from China. And for the last few years or so they all are hit or miss. Companies selling refurbished parts as new all over.
I spent $520 on Monroe shocks and they were a major disappointment.
I'd still say get some aftermarket cheap ones since the car is over 200k miles. No point of using such expensive shocks like KYB and Monroe on an old car. I am sure ones sold on Ebay by Detroit Axle and others might have almost 70% - 80% of same level of performance as major brands.
Cheap ones leak out usually within a year and many of us pay mechanics to do it instead. Therefore it cost a lot of money in labor. i don't want to pay twice in labor .I bought brand new KYB for front and Junkyard near my house had 60k miles 2006 camry. I took rear struts out from that one. 40$ each.
My Camry has 200k on it right now but i spent the money on it because i am confident that i am going to keep it another 5 years or 300k at least (hopefully). My Camry rides like new. No noises, quite etc. . I have a 2016 Jetta also but my family prefers Camry because the ride is so soft and because of space.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,245 Posts
If you want your vehicle to run a long time, you need good parts. If you don't care about your vehicle, buy the cheapest garbage out there til the vehicle is traded in or breaks down.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Roadmatic or OESpectrum?

So what happened there?
I've not looked at their website in a while. Does Monroe say what strut they use for the Quick-Strut? I know KYB for their Strut-Plus list that the strut they use is the same that they sell separately so the strut's aren't that different except one is a complete set and one isn't (Excel-G I think).

On that note, Monroe does list the specs of their products. KYB seems to not do that when I last looked.

·
イリジウム
11,797 Posts
Try Monroe QuickStruts when the time comes to replace the struts (if you don’t replace the car first).

People pay extra for that kind of ride (as in Camry SE).

I have a 2016 Jetta also but my family prefers Camry because the ride is so soft and because of space.

·
イリジウム
11,797 Posts
QuickStruts get the OES. They also have the Roadmatic assemblies I wouldn’t touch.

I've not looked at their website in a while. Does Monroe say what strut they use for the Quick-Strut? I know KYB for their Strut-Plus list that the strut they use is the same that they sell separately so the strut's aren't that different except one is a complete set and one isn't (Excel-G I think).

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
QuickStruts get the OES. They also have the Roadmatic assemblies I wouldn’t touch.
Cool. Though right now I am still stuck on KYB... but I am still thinking about Monroe... A $100 savings is $100 in savings...

• KYB Strut-Plus are only for Base, LE, XLE
    • SE rear does not get Strut-Plus
  • Monroe Quick-Strut has a set for Base, LE/ XLE
    • SE does get Quick-Strut
      • Their specs are different from each other

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Yeah it depends on driving preference I guess.
KYB's are harder, Monroe are softer so in theory the Monroe (SE) is... harder? It's hard to say... Been meaning to replace mine for a long time since I got a broken spring but at the same time I ain't got money for a whole set and that spring has not caused any issues at all.

·
イリジウム
11,797 Posts
The OES is supposed to ride “similarly”. So if they have a different part number then yes, firmer than non-SE I suppose.

One member recently say the Monroe’s are firm, but I think that’s an outlier. Or maybe he got the SE version ;) . Usually non-enthusiasts would comment the KYBs are firm/harsh.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Cheap ones leak out usually within a year and many of us pay mechanics to do it instead. Therefore it cost a lot of money in labor. i don't want to pay twice in labor .I bought brand new KYB for front and Junkyard near my house had 60k miles 2006 camry. I took rear struts out from that one. 40$ each.
My Camry has 200k on it right now but i spent the money on it because i am confident that i am going to keep it another 5 years or 300k at least (hopefully). My Camry rides like new. No noises, quite etc. . I have a 2016 Jetta also but my family prefers Camry because the ride is so soft and because of space.
its usually $40 dollars to replace both front
Roadmatic or OESpectrum?

So what happened there?
Roadmatic or OESpectrum?

So what happened there?
Not sure what is meant by Roadmatic and OESpectrum...

The ride wasn't that great after the installation. And went bad fairly quickly. And it's a lot of hassle to get a warranty exchange, although I got about 75% back in the amount I paid for it. But that ruined my new tires. Lost money for installation of tires and struts. So overall a big loss and now I need to replace the parts again. Almost $1000 went down to drains.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts