Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Highlander XLE, 2020 Rav 4 XLE
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I look in my rear view mirror at night, the headlights behind me result in an illuminated vertical line caused by the rear window defroster elements. Does anyone else have this problem? I have a 2006 Camry LE.

·
Registered
52 Posts
edge3333 said:
When I look in my rear view mirror at night, the headlights behind me result in an illuminated vertical line caused by the rear window defroster elements. Does anyone else have this problem? I have a 2006 Camry LE.
It sounds like you are saying not all the defroster lines work on your rear window, so when you are driving, the frost on the nonfunctioning defroster line illuminates. Sounds like you have a break in that line.

Go to any autoparts store and by a rear defroster repair kit (in or around 10 bucks). It consists of paint with metalic particles in it and a brush. Just use a flashlight to find the section of defroster with the break in the line and paint over it. The paint will seal the gap and the defroster line will work again.:whatwhat:

·
Registered
2006 Camry LE
293 Posts
Have you had your windows tinted lately? My defroster lines became more apparent after I had mine tinted (35%).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tint

Yes, my windows were tinted by the dealer. FYI , this problem has nothing to do with the defroster operation. I live in Phoenix and have never used the rear defroster.

·
2004 Camry LE
Cars
765 Posts
I drive 2004 LE.
Never had anything like this. I'll check it out tonight. I work till 7:00 PM.

·
FLIP'N THE G-5 WHIP
2005 Black Camry
895 Posts
maxgxe said:
I have a 2005 Camry LE, and I've never noticed the problem you are describing.
same here. got 2005 and never experienced that phenomenon..

·
Resident slacker
2015 Highlander
559 Posts
If you're describing what I think you are, it's just light reflection from the tint laid over the defroster lines. It's not too noticable/serious on my car; mostly noticable as a slight distortion where the tint crosses the lines.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thx

Thx, guys. I'm going to take it back to the dealer.

·
Triple A Whore
Z06, Camry, Tucson
7,656 Posts
shimpi said:
Go to any autoparts store and by a rear defroster repair kit (in or around 10 bucks). It consists of paint with metalic particles in it and a brush. Just use a flashlight to find the section of defroster with the break in the line and paint over it. The paint will seal the gap and the defroster line will work again.:whatwhat:
How easy is that? The lower 1/3 of my rear defrost doesn't seem to work anymore and I want to get my windows tinted. Obviously, I want to fix the problem before I put tint over it. Will Auto Zone and Pep Boys have it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts