Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2006 Camry has 160k and we've had it since it had around 120k miles on it and it has been flawless. I will say I'm not the primary driver of the car, it's my girlfriend's, but as far as I can tell its been great and she hasn't complained.

A couple thousand miles ago I took the car in to have the transmission fluid/filter changed, the previous owner last did this around 105k. I supplied the shop the Castrol Transmax Import fluid as well as the filter, so there wasn't a flush done or anything like that. This was just for routine maintenance. When I picked up the car they told me the pan was nice and clean, trans must be in good shape, the magnets weren't full of crap.

We took the car on a long drive that following weekend and everything was fine. Then later the next week I was going on a drive around town running errands and I was making a hard left turn onto another street, and the road is sort of banked the opposite direction so the car really leaned over on this turn. I had to slow down during the turn, and then when I went to push the gas pedal down after going straight I felt the engine just rev and a couple seconds later the transmission engaged. It didn't go BANG or anything, it was graceful. Sort of felt weird, but it happened quickly too, and nothing violent.

We went on another long freeway drive and the car performed flawless. Last weekend I was again running around town doing errands and I had to turn around, so I pulled into someone's driveway which was sloped upwards. I drove into the driveway, stopped fully, put the car from D into R, and took my foot off the brake and the car didn't move, then i slowly press the gas pedal and the transmission engaged and started backing up. Again, it only took like 2 maybe 3 seconds, and it was graceful no bang or anything.

Oh also I live in a warm climate and both times this happened the car was at operating temp. I have checked the fluid a few times and it's at the correct level.

Is this anything to be concerned about or am I being overly paranoid? Could the trans filter have been installed wrong? It's a Beck/Arnley brand and it did come with a new O-ring. Are the O-rings known to be an issue or anything?

·
Registered
2001 Camry
496 Posts
I think taking a second or two for the transmission to engage is normal. I can feel it engage on my 2001.

The turning incident is odd. Have you checked the fluid level?

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,263 Posts
Could always do another drain-&-fill. When this happens to me, I panic a bit but then remember that it may just be the nature of the beast as it only happens every so often and is not that big of a deal as long as you know you did the maintenance (which I did myself a drain-&-fill at 50,000 miles and filter/drain-&-fill at 100,000 miles). All you can do is speculate, I just accepted it for what it is even though I rather not but there is nothing else I can do or want to do. It could also just be throttle lag from the electronic throttle as sometimes I cannot tell if it is either the transmission doing something weird or just the throttle.

·
Registered
2001 Camry
496 Posts
^+1

I forgot about the electronic throttle. That's probably what it is. My car is so old it has the physical cable, LOL.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,263 Posts
^+1

I forgot about the electronic throttle. That's probably what it is. My car is so old it has the physical cable, LOL.
I don't hate the electronic throttle but it still takes some getting used to. Having the throttle controller helps but the throttle/transmission "issues" can freak me out every so often. That and I hate my tires...

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,649 Posts
Bear in mind that a drain and fill will not address proper fluid level. A mention was made in a response about checking the level so just wanted to be clear that the majority of the fluid is not in the sump (pan) but the sump will always fill with whatever its capacity is due to gravity (unless it is so low not enough fluid is left, but you would know that was occurring).

You could ask the same shop to check the lockup values, that will tell you if there is a solenoid issue happening.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Bear in mind that a drain and fill will not address proper fluid level. A mention was made in a response about checking the level so just wanted to be clear that the majority of the fluid is not in the sump (pan) but the sump will always fill with whatever its capacity is due to gravity (unless it is so low not enough fluid is left, but you would know that was occurring).

You could ask the same shop to check the lockup values, that will tell you if there is a solenoid issue happening.
Yes, to you and the other person that asked, I have checked the fluid level 3 times in the past few weeks and it's been right at the full mark, idling in park, on level ground. HOT range at operating temperature.

Could always do another drain-&-fill. When this happens to me, I panic a bit but then remember that it may just be the nature of the beast as it only happens every so often and is not that big of a deal as long as you know you did the maintenance (which I did myself a drain-&-fill at 50,000 miles and filter/drain-&-fill at 100,000 miles). All you can do is speculate, I just accepted it for what it is even though I rather not but there is nothing else I can do or want to do. It could also just be throttle lag from the electronic throttle as sometimes I cannot tell if it is either the transmission doing something weird or just the throttle.
This is very soothing to hear so to speak, and probably exactly what I am experiencing because it's so infrequent.

·
Registered
2001 Camry
496 Posts
Yes, to you and the other person that asked, I have checked the fluid level 3 times in the past few weeks and it's been right at the full mark when low, idling in park, on level ground. HOT range at operating temperature.

This is very soothing to hear so to speak, and probably exactly what I am experiencing because it's so infrequent.
Yep, I wouldn't worry. If the fluid is at the right level, you're fine. These transmissions aren't overly sensitive to slight underfill/overfill anyway.

I borrowed a friend's 2014 ES350 last summer and am now reminded that I did experience the "delay" if I hit the gas hard. The car only had 40K miles so I remember attributing it to the electronic throttle as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts