Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Celica GT
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I scanned my Matrix a few days ago and got code P0420. It said that the forward catalytic converter is bad. I priced one at Advance, Autozone and O'Reilly's and they are in the neighborhood of $375 for a direct fit replacement. I looked on eBay and they are somewhat cheaper and supposedly also direct fit. The car runs fine as it is with 205k on it. I reset the code, changed the plugs out for Bosch Iridiums because it had Denso platinums in it and the code hasn't come back, yet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The 1ZZ on the Matrix likes Denso Iridium plugs, not platinum. If you have the 2ZZ, you definitely don't want to use platinum.
Every P0420 I've seen is from a bad downstream oxygen sensor, not a catalytic converter. If you haven't seen the code come back though, ignore it until it does.

·
Registered
05 camry 07 tacoma
2,361 Posts
Unless plugs were really bad, changing them may not be the fix for the error code.
At 205 k cat losing its efficiency is probably correct.

Rockauto.com has CARB cat for $300.00.
For a cheap fix may try a O2 spacer adapter extender that could hold off the error code if/ when it returns.

Are engine parameters such as fuel trims, O2 sensors within spec. No other error codes?
Oil consumption, exhaust leaks ?

·
Registered
2005 Celica GT
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unless plugs were really bad, changing them may not be the fix for the error code.
At 205 k cat losing its efficiency is probably correct.

Rockauto.com has CARB cat for $300.00.
For a cheap fix may try a O2 spacer adapter extender that could hold off the error code if/ when it returns.

Are engine parameters such as fuel trims, O2 sensors within spec. No other error codes?
Oil consumption, exhaust leaks ?
I wouldn't jump on the cat. Look at the 8th Gen Corolla/Matrix forums. A lot of us have over 250k on our original cats, our engines also burned oil.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I had 0420 several times on Corolla. Still on the same cat, same sensor, same canister. Just a matter of cleaning... Its been 2 years since last cleaning and no code yet.

Edit: Make that more than 3. Last renewal, we did not have it though I did the seafoam cleaning. We have a renewal next week so I am doing another seafoam cleaning treatment. I normally do one annually.

Also on our honda, after a 0420 that came back couple times, I had installed a spacer. It has been 5+ yrs now since and no code. I had posted that several times on subforums also.

·
Camry_owner
2003 Camry LE 2.4L
107 Posts
I had 0420 several times on Corolla. Still on the same cat, same sensor, same canister. Just a matter of cleaning... Its been 2 years since last cleaning and no code yet.

Hi, could you please tell me what kind of chemical I use or how do I clean the O2 sensors/catalytic converter.I am going to physically remove the O2 sensors and catalytic conveter.Want to know if anybody has any idea how to cleam them. Kindly let me know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts