Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my airbag light came on, I took my car to the closed Toyota dealership. I was advised by Cobb County Toyota that my airbag is defective and needs to be replaced for $2400. Since my 2006 Sienna has 76k miles on it, Toyota wouldn't cover it under the warranty. I asked how an unused airbag could be defective, I was told that it is an electrical component. That was the complete answer. So, I checked online. And, sure enough, hundreds of people all over the country are facing the same problem with their 2006 Sienna. And, no one has been able to explain the reason. I called Toyota's corporate office and the (no) customer service rep said that all she could do was document my concern. No manager could call or assist me. No one could send me a letter stating why an unused airbag is suddenly defective after only 4 years. No one cares. I get that. But, it doesn't make logical sense that something as important as an airbag would become defective for no reason after a couple of years. This is my second and last Toyota...even though I'm sure no one cares.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I understand your disappointment.
If you read more about Sienna's issues in this forum and in other forums that will answer your questions about customer support and quality and you'll see that you're not an exception.
Unfortunately that's the company's attitude right now, the only thing that unsatisfied customers can do is stop buying their products and meanwhile struggle with the Toyota we own...

·
Registered
12 Posts
They gave me a similar answer when I called corporate for my flaking wheels, I barely have 30K miles on them and the wheels are already flaking? they told me that this is due to the salt in the north east, meanwhile I see members with the same issue down south where it doesn't snow. These are the kind of useless support we get from Toyota that will stop me from buying another one.

·
Registered
w163, 07 Sienna
19 Posts
Similar to our 2007 light. For us it turns out one of our kids shoe was wedged under the driver seat and tugging/pushing some sort of electrical connector. Removed the shoe, reseat the connector, and all was well. I would check the connectors under the front seats.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2006 Sienna airbag problem

I have my 2006 Sienna into the dealer 3 times to fix the airbag problem. I have been waiting since early December for a "redesigned wiring harness". The dealer states they have no idea when the harness will be available. They recommended I call Toyota's National Customer Service. They are telling me that they are making them as fast as they can but it will be at least 6 weeks. In my opinion, something does not smell right. It will be interesting to see what they say in 6 weeks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Add my family to the unlucky list. We bought an '06 LE with 86k January of last year. No warranty but got it under KBB (~14.5K-new Michelin tires, DVD, very clean, one owner with clean Carfax) during the whole Toyota Prius recall scare. Well, 3 weeks later the passenger airbag warning light comes on. Dealer had to replace then entire bag and paid for it, as they offered a 30 day warranty on any used car purchase. Last week, the light comes on again. This time, it's the driver side and again, the airbag must be replaced. Unfortunately, no love from Toytota Corp. Our dealer has been fantastic and tried to get it covered as a "safety issue" but Toyota Corp. said "no". The dealer is only charging for parts, no labor, but it will still set us back ~$1900. Similar to Kennesaw, I argued back and forth with Toyota Corp. customer service and got nowhere. I'm usually not one to do this but I'm considering contacting local media. I have no problem buying an out of warranty car and having normal wear and tear items break down (belts, transmission, brakes, radiator, etc.)...but two airbags in a little over a year!!?? This is not a 'wear and tear' item. I've pretty much lost faith in the van and am waiting for the next airbag failure. My wife and I have decided to start looking at newer alternatives and trading the van. We love our Sienna but this sort of equipment/customer service failure is unacceptable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
update to 06 Sienna Airbag issue

Well, I am happy to say (and surprised!) that Toyota came thru and provided an updated harness for my passenger air bag. It took 5 days to install during which I was provided a free loaner. I had one call from the national Toyota call center asking to confirm it was in. During a follow up survey I let them know how disappointed I was with the company. I doubt that I will be getting another Toyota any time soon. On another note, I talked to a friend who is a lawyer and he recommended complaining to the NTSB. I was planning on doing that if I received another delay. It took literally 3 months to get the part replaced! Unbelievable! I will let you know if the light ever comes on again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts