Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove a 4cyl today and the clutch was way stiff--dunno if I would want to be fighting that thing all day---does it loosen up after a while and what kind of gas milage are you guys gettin with these?

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
worthywads said:
28mpg after 3500 miles, and what do you mean by stiff?

thats a 2wd model right ? My 4x4 2.7L 5 speed gets di<k im kinda pist off. I gets 17.6mpg with 50/50 HWY/CITY
:ugh3:

EDIT: my clutch never seemed stiff to me. Maybe beacuase im a big guy (6'3" 250 pounds)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
lotust said:
thats a 2wd model right ? My 4x4 2.7L 5 speed gets di<k im kinda pist off. I gets 17.6mpg with 50/50 HWY/CITY
:ugh3:

EDIT: my clutch never seemed stiff to me. Maybe beacuase im a big guy (6'3" 250 pounds)
Yes 4x2, and I'm anal about gas mileage, but it can be done.

After many years of practice I get this mileage by driving 5 over the speed limit, and avoid using the brakes. I'm surrounded by people that race to every red light. :disappoin

Seems everyone else commutes their same route every day but are oblivious to the totally predictable lights. I've just figured out when to race and when to coast.

·
Official Misfit
1,453 Posts
clutch feels fine to me

<--2.7 4x2 5 speed.

an old gf had a honda civic stick. i hated that clutch as it had no resitance.

after two two tanks i'm getting 21 mpg, but most here say mileage improves after the truck breaks in a bit

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
worthywads said:
Yes 4x2, and I'm anal about gas mileage, but it can be done.

After many years of practice I get this mileage by driving 5 over the speed limit, and avoid using the brakes. I'm surrounded by people that race to every red light. :disappoin

Seems everyone else commutes their same route every day but are oblivious to the totally predictable lights. I've just figured out when to race and when to coast.

Im pretty anal about that too. I tried going real easy driving like you said. but it does not make a difference. I think its my 265/70/16 tires that give me crappy mpg

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
Yup, the bigger tires are killing your milage. Bigger tires mean more unsprung weight. More unsprung weight means that your engine has to work much harder to turn the tires.

·
3SGTE & 1GRFE
MR2 Turbo, Taco Dcab
793 Posts
Captain_Toyota said:
Yup, the bigger tires are killing your milage. Bigger tires mean more unsprung weight. More unsprung weight means that your engine has to work much harder to turn the tires.
you meant rotating mass. :) i'm sure you already know, but for others' benefit, unsprung weight has nothing to do with acceleration/braking. it affects handling, ride quality, and suspension responsiveness.

less rotating mass offers a smaller moment of intertia, meaning it's easier to change rotational velocity. more rotating mass has the opposite effect.

wheels and tires are in both categories, hence the huge desire for lightweight wheels for sports cars and road racing. heavier wheels/tires means more rotating mass (bad for fuel economy) and poorer ride quality (bad for sissy men :)).

-Mike

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a 4x4, 4 cyl, 5 spd Access. After 2,000 miles, I seem to get around 20-21 mpg average (80% short town trips /20% highway). I don't baby it, but I don't race either. I try to get it into 4th or 5th as soon as possible.

The clutch isn't so much "stiff", but has a weird spring tension curve and a lot of "play" at either end of the pedal travel. Sonny's clutch mod (http://www.rotormafia.com/sonny/taco/clutchmod/) helps a LOT!

I'm teaching my 16 year old son to drive stick on the Taco, and I keep telling him "It's so much easier on a regular car, but if you can get THIS shifting smoothly, you can drive ANY shift car!" :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks activator--u described the clutch to a t---to much travel--it was the first thing i noticed about the truck---the clutch mod looks easy enough--but did it really make that much difference?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
texasjim said:
thanks activator--u described the clutch to a t---to much travel--it was the first thing i noticed about the truck---the clutch mod looks easy enough--but did it really make that much difference?
Enough of a difference that I'm not conscious of the clutch. I do notice that my Element's clutch pedal is even worse that the stock Tacoma position though. I guess I'm not as sensitive to pedal location, neither's a problem.

·
Billblock
07 tacoma
63 Posts
4 Cyl 4x4 Reg Cab Clutch

I Own A 05 4 Banger 4wd, Clutch Was Stiff At Beginning. Its Fine Now With 11k Miles On It. As Far As Gas Mileage, I Average 24.5mpg In 2wd. Havent Checked Mileage In 4wd Yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts