Toyota Nation Forum banner

2006 Toyota Corolla LE 2ZZ-GE swap

1307 Views 19 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  75aces
Hi! I have a 2006 Toyota Corolla LE with a 1ZZ-FE and 5 speed manual, it has 287k miles my dad bought it brand new and I bought it from him 2 years ago as my daily driver.

I absolutely love the car, and I plan to keep it for a long long time, the body is overall in good shape some surface rust here and there but nothing serious like on the frame or suspension

and so lately I've been toying with the idea of eventually swapping a 2ZZ-GE into it and a 6 speed when my 1ZZ-FE goes out
Preferably one of the JDM ones with a slightly higher redline because.. it'd be cool you know?

I can't find too much information on this particular swap and I'm not sure if I just don't know where to look or if this swap can't be done or if people don't even attempt it

Some points of research I've been trying to find that I can't seem to find are:

• I know that I would have to convert from electronic throttle to cable throttle not sure how that would work and can't find any guides or information on it
  • I've seen that there's different wiring I think around the air box? Not sure if that's connected to the engine harness or something to do with the VVTL-I or something else entirely
  • Would I have to make sure to get a JDM ECU if I used a JDM 2ZZ-GE?
  • Which 6 speed should I use? (C60, C64)
  • Would I have to replace anything else I'm not considering such as axles or Flywheel/Clutch assembly?

If anyone could point me in the right direction or know the answers to my questions it would be very appreciated!
Feel free to ask me any questions to clarify anything and please let me know about anything else that would be important that I'm not thinking about

Thank you all and have a great day! God bless :)
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

· Registered
2006 Corolla LE, 2005 Corolla XRS
300 Posts
With the 06 you also have to deal with the immobilizer, so generally the swap would include changing out engine bay harness to 03-04 years. Haven't seen anyone do a swap that didn't require a harness change. I would think that if you used an 05-06 XRS ECU, you'd need access to TechStream to reset your immobilizer.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With the 06 you also have to deal with the immobilizer, so generally the swap would include changing out engine bay harness to 03-04 years. Haven't seen anyone do a swap that didn't require a harness change. I would think that if you used an 05-06 XRS ECU, you'd need access to TechStream to reset your immobilizer.
Hey thanks for the info! The immobilizer is part of the anti theft stuff right? Would you happen to know what it's hooked up to? I'm assuming the engine harness since you recommended reverting the engine harness back to older years. And would a snap on scan tool be able to reset it?

· Registered
300 Posts
Yes the immobilizer is part of the anti theft system. It's tied to your ECU, Key, and the amplifier by the ignition. Dealing with the immobilizer is such a pain that reverting to pre-immobilizer wiring is recommended. I don't believe a snap on scan tool can reset it, you will need a Toyota approved VCI cable and an active subscription to Toyota TechStream with the proper clearance/access to access the security bits. Even if you accomplish that, I'm not too sure if the 05+ 1zz wiring is 100% compatible with the 2zz. I think you'd have to add vvtl wiring. Don't take my word on this bit though. There's another forum member here that claims to have mapped the pinouts for every year and trim of the Corolla. Would be awesome if he could share his info as i have an 03 matrix XRS ECU I'm wanting to repin to 05+ wiring.

· Registered
2,385 Posts
A complete donor will be best for sure. Your ganna miss out on the rear disc brake swap. Interior trim. XRS trim & badges. Chassis Bracing. Dash.

The obvious note is to get a XRS outright. It is worth to note that it will be extremely difficult to kill a 1zz unless it was super abused. Haven’t been able to retire my 1zz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A complete donor will be best for sure. Your ganna miss out on the rear disc brake swap. Interior trim. XRS trim & badges. Chassis Bracing. Dash.

The obvious note is to get a XRS outright. It is worth to note that it will be extremely difficult to kill a 1zz unless it was super abused. Haven’t been able to retire my 1zz.

Would it be recommended/possible to swap out the drums in the rear for disc brakes?
I've been wanting to get a front strut tower brace and rear anti sway bar in my car for a while anyway and I like the idea of having the same badging and having a small sleeper car lol

and yea with almost 300k miles my 1ZZ still runs amazingly, thanks for the response

· Registered
2,385 Posts
Would it be recommended/possible to swap out the drums in the rear for disc brakes?
I've been wanting to get a front strut tower brace and rear anti sway bar in my car for a while anyway and I like the idea of having the same badging and having a small sleeper car lol

and yea with almost 300k miles my 1ZZ still runs amazingly, thanks for the response
Yes, you can swap rear disc. Plenty of threads on the swap here on TN.

Best brand of bracing is Ultra Racing. It’s much more expensive now but it is what it is. Otherwise, great polyurethane replacement is Energy Suspension.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been doing some more research and a few more questions have popped up

• Would I be able to use my 1ZZ air box? Could I use a factory 2ZZ air box or would I have to get a CAI?
  • Does anyone know if I could use my 06 1ZZ harness with the 2ZZ as long as I add the VVTL-I connector, or does it have to be 03-04? And does anyone know the differences between 03-04 and 05+ wiring? Or better yet have any diagrams?
  • Would any of the exhaust system on my 06 1zz corolla be compatible with the 2zz? If so what is NOT compatible that I would have to source out on my own?
  • Will the AC lines from my 1zz be compatible with the compressor on the 2ZZ?
  • Will the power steering reservoir and coolant system be compatible?
  • Is there any detailed guide on how to route the mechanical throttle body to the accelerator pedal or a diagram?
  • Would I have to mess with any of the fuse boxes?

Thank you!

· Registered
2,385 Posts
I've been doing some more research and a few more questions have popped up

• Would I be able to use my 1ZZ air box? Could I use a factory 2ZZ air box or would I have to get a CAI?
  • Does anyone know if I could use my 06 1ZZ harness with the 2ZZ as long as I add the VVTL-I connector, or does it have to be 03-04? And does anyone know the differences between 03-04 and 05+ wiring? Or better yet have any diagrams?
  • Would any of the exhaust system on my 06 1zz corolla be compatible with the 2zz? If so what is NOT compatible that I would have to source out on my own?
  • Will the AC lines from my 1zz be compatible with the compressor on the 2ZZ?
  • Will the power steering reservoir and coolant system be compatible?
  • Is there any detailed guide on how to route the mechanical throttle body to the accelerator pedal or a diagram?
  • Would I have to mess with any of the fuse boxes?

Thank you!
I believe the stock boxes are different. But you don’t need a CAI, the chassis will take both 1zz/2zz boxes just the same.

There was one 8th gen member here who made the 2zz swap. I think he said you can add VVTL-I wire. Cable throttle and wire throttle used different harness.

You should be able to use 1zz exhaust but it’s smaller in diameter overall. Will rob the 2zz one set of zz, making it a 1zz? =)

A/C is the same. Just don’t discharge it. Move it aside and then reinstall. Could save you big bucks here.

Power steering res should be the same. The pumps are different. Pulley wise. If your swapping, don’t forget the XRS steering rack if you want a quicker steering ratio.

Rare anyone swapped to cable. Best to go to junk yard and look for 03/04 corolla or any manual transmission corolla 03-08.

Fuse box is the same but I don’t know if you need to add anything else besides the engine harness for the 2zz.

· Administrator
マズダスピード3
18,219 Posts
06-06 corolla xrs are throttle cable actuated on the 2zz. In 05-06 for corolla xrs, it was equipped with a secondary air injection pump. For matrix xrs, this was 05-08. Celica 2zz did not have air injection pumps and has the highest hp output.

There are plenty of resources to do the 2zz swap. But the issue isn’t doing the mod, but more has to do with cost of the swap. I’ve noticed as of late, the 2zz is going up in cost for some strange reason. It’s not as popular as a k series. It’ll be a better deal to buy a corolla xrs.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
06-06 corolla xrs are throttle cable actuated on the 2zz. In 05-06 for corolla xrs, it was equipped with a secondary air injection pump. For matrix xrs, this was 05-08. Celica 2zz did not have air injection pumps and has the highest hp output.

There are plenty of resources to do the 2zz swap. But the issue isn’t doing the mod, but more has to do with cost of the swap. I’ve noticed as of late, the 2zz is going up in cost for some strange reason. It’s not as popular as a k series. It’ll be a better deal to buy a corolla xrs.
I actually can't find any XRS' near me for a reasonable price, 5k with 250k miles? No thanks I don't know how the person has driven it plus I can do this swap for around 5-7k and it's a special car to me since my dad rode me around in it when I was younger and now it's mine

I'm intrigued about this air pump, what exactly does it do? Where is it located and could I install the engine without it or would the ECU not like that? The ECU would be a 03-04 Matrix XRS ECU

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello again you lovely people, first and foremost thank you for all the responses and links it's been very very helpful and appreciate this community very much!

Second, my clutch is currently slipping in my 2006 1ZZ Toyota Corolla
It's been doing it for about a year but it's now starting to get really bad
But as you all know I intend to eventually swap in a 2ZZ and c60 and so with that in mind I would like to get a OEM 2ZZ clutch assembly into my 1ZZ and then when I swap the engine I'll just put the newer clutch into the C60
What brands do you all recommend? What brand is OEM for the 2ZZ-GE 06 Corolla XRS?

· Administrator
マズダスピード3
18,219 Posts
I actually can't find any XRS' near me for a reasonable price, 5k with 250k miles? No thanks I don't know how the person has driven it plus I can do this swap for around 5-7k and it's a special car to me since my dad rode me around in it when I was younger and now it's mine

I'm intrigued about this air pump, what exactly does it do? Where is it located and could I install the engine without it or would the ECU not like that? The ECU would be a 03-04 Matrix XRS ECU
Now I totally understand that a car can be very special to anyone. I’m interested in seeing this transformation.

Part of the reason you’re seeing rise in price for a xrs is because they’re only manufactured for 05-06. This only applies to the corolla. I lost my 06 corolla xrs to a accident last year.

Am considering buying another, but I spent to 2 years finding mine. A 1 owner and low mileage one is the one I found in 2016. So far, I’ve found a couple, but they aren’t local to me. Though, they are selling for under $5k. So, I may pull the trigger.

The secondary air injector pump is located on the driver side bumper. Celica is the only model that didn’t get the air injection pump. It also has the highest hp rating. Air injection pump is part of the evap system. If you get the 03 matrix xrs, there is no air injection pump. This was mandatory for 04-08. Corolla xrs has it in 05-06.

· Registered
300 Posts
Am considering buying another, but I spent to 2 years finding mine. A 1 owner and low mileage one is the one I found in 2016. So far, I’ve found a couple, but they aren’t local to me. Though, they are selling for under $5k. So, I may pull the trigger.
Pull the trigger, explain to the wife later.
I got confirmation from 2zzlow that the digital HVAC mod is possible. More to come in the following months.

· Registered
2,385 Posts
I got confirmation from 2zzlow that the digital HVAC mod is possible. More to come in the following months.
Agreed, there’s no time to explain! Matrix XRS I hear? Same same but different. She won’t notice, I swear. Have a nice Independence Day guys.

· Administrator
マズダスピード3
18,219 Posts
Sadly, I have to spend $6k to fix the speed 3. Can’t explain spending $10k.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.