Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have just rotated my tyres and noticed heavy wearing on the outside of the front tyres. Quick google search indicates this could be struts/springs, ball joints or control arm bushings. As far as I know, none of these parts have been replaced before. Is there a way to figure out which of these might be the cause(s) of the wear?
Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Do you have coupling on the tires? That can be caused by your shocks and struts. I was looking also at replacing mines also. Found some full replacements at rockauto for a decent price. Monroe 172211-14. Monroe website will get find you the part number for the vehicle. I would go with the complete assembly for easy install. It’s about$290 for fronts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MortalKombatu. I am thinking i would have a go at shock/strut replacement and sway link, and possibly the lower ball joint at the same time. But the control arm bushings look like a step too far for my limited mechanical ability. Which is why i was wondering if there was a way of working out which component(s) needed replacing

·
Registered
291 Posts
Inspect the control arm bushings. You need to decide if the cracks are superficial or structural. If broken or nearly broken they need to be replaced.

·
Registered
Kluger/Highlander
250 Posts
I had he same issue. Had lower control arm bushings replaced and added new camber adjustment bolt and the wear went away/greatly reduced but last tyre place did a free front end alignment without telling me before hand and messed it up. have to go back to my suspension shop to get it realigned now as they have all the specs on file.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Replaced front struts at the weekend. Went for the combined strut/spring Monroes from Rockauto at $120 each. Treated myself to a DeWalt impact wrench at the same time, and that make things a lot easier. I usually do my own fluid replacements, brake pads and tyre rotation but this was a step up for me. I found the 1AAuto videos on YouTube helpful and took the opportunity to replace the sway bar links as well.

In the end i didn't do the ball joints, i figured that if the strut replacement went well i would do the control arms next (bushings look shot) and easier to the the ball joints when i do this. With my new found confidence (and impact wrench), i will also replace the rear struts and sway bar links which looks like a very similar job to the fronts. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I looked on amazon and found what I think is the correct replacement. A1 also has a video on how to replace this. Looks like it can be done with the right tool. Anyone have the part number for this?

MOOG K200912 K3059 Control Arm Bushing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KHLMX0G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_s9ZTDbP05CFFE

OrionMotorTech Heavy Duty Ball Joint Press & U Joint Removal Tool Kit with 4x4 Adapters, for Most 2WD and 4WD Cars and Light Trucks https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7CO50E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Jb0TDbY6S2P52

·
Registered
291 Posts
I’m not sure if there is an inspection standard but my personal guide is if the depth of the cracks in the rubber bushings are more than 1/4 the thickness of the rubber ( you need to add the depth of the worst cracks from each side) at that cross section, then it should be replaced. Use at your own risk. Maybe others have other ideas.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Mortal-
Interesting. I changed my entire control arm. I still have them and will look, but I thought the rubber is permanently bonded to the metal. I am not sure what keeps these in place.
Maybe someone else on the forum has tried these.
If you go this way you will need the other dog-bone bushing as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts