Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a Camry and it has developed a rattle. I've been told by two mechanics that it is the alternator. The issue I have with that is the car has never died, been slow to start or not been able to start and it only has 42,000 miles. The noise does seem to be coming from that area though. The noise is definitely louder when the car is first started from sitting for a while. Does anyone have any ideas of what this noise might be? Anyone agree that it is the alternator?
Here is a video I took of the engine just after it started up for the first time today. Sorry about the quality it was very sunny.

·
Registered
905 Posts
well it does sound like a bad bearing in something. Take a dowel rod and place it on the alternator and other parts to isolate the sound. Put the other end of the dowel rod up to your ear and confirm the rattle. Could be alternator or could be an idler pulley.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
Simple.

Take the belt off and start the engine. Noise gone? It's an accessory. Noise still there? It's in the engine.

While it's off, spin the alternator and see if the bearing sounds rough or noisy.

SOLVED!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well it does sound like a bad bearing in something. Take a dowel rod and place it on the alternator and other parts to isolate the sound. Put the other end of the dowel rod up to your ear and confirm the rattle. Could be alternator or could be an idler pulley.
I put a screw driver on the alternator and put it to my ear and it did sound a little noisy.

I'm going to play with it this weekend. I'll try taking the belt off and seeing if the noise goes away.

·
Registered
2011 Camry XLE
1,461 Posts
My wife has a Camry and it has developed a rattle. I've been told by two mechanics that it is the alternator. The issue I have with that is the car has never died, been slow to start or not been able to start and it only has 42,000 miles. The noise does seem to be coming from that area though. The noise is definitely louder when the car is first started from sitting for a while. Does anyone have any ideas of what this noise might be? Anyone agree that it is the alternator?
Here is a video I took of the engine just after it started up for the first time today. Sorry about the quality it was very sunny.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI0qYNSmWZc

From what I see in the video, the AC compressor shaft is moving. Check the clutch for a complete release when off.

·
Cruisin' along
2019 Camry LE
858 Posts
I put a screw driver on the alternator and put it to my ear and it did sound a little noisy.

I'm going to play with it this weekend. I'll try taking the belt off and seeing if the noise goes away.
with everything all connected, you might not be able to distinguish the exact location of the noise, as the noise will travel. you have to remove the belt and spin the accessories free hand.

also, i wouldn't admit to playing with it this weekend...........that takes on a whole new meaning.

·
Papa
2007 Camry LE
18 Posts
Take a good look at the water pump also. It looks like the belt moves back and forth on that pulley to me. I lost mine around that mileage, look for seepage behind the pulley. Good luck.........Roger R.

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
Water pump goes at 40k miles?

·
Papa
2007 Camry LE
18 Posts
You bet, I changed it at 46458 miles to be exact and it had been making noise prior to that. I couldn't believe it myself untill I got a good look behind the pulley and there was a pink dried sludge to confirm the diagnosis. The bearing was really rattleing by that time. And you can bet, I DIDN'T replace it with an OEM from Toyota. 46000 miles just didn't show me anything, and especially when I could get a new one for half the cost of one from Toyota. I also flushed all that pink stuff out and replaced it with Prestone Long Life Antifreeze. I know a lot of you guys will disagree with me on this, but Toyota's products didn't prove themselves with me at all. Time will tell how my decisions pan out..........Roger R.

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
Just when the warranty is over, things start to go bad. Is this a Toyota or a Hyundai?? :headbang:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I kind of thought that it might be the water pump. There seems to be a slight shimmy in the pulley. How much did that end up costing you? Did you do it yourself or have a mechanic do it?

·
Papa
2007 Camry LE
18 Posts
Well, check and make sure it's the water pump first. Yes, I changed the pump and flushed the system my self. It's a rather simple job on the 4 cyl. I bought the pump at Autozone in Vancouver, Wash for $59.50 including tax. It was a new pump, Duralast, AWP-9322. I bought my antifreeze at Wallmart for around $11.00 per gal for unmixed Prestone Long Life. I also bought a couple gallons of distilled water to mix with the antifreeze. When I flushed the system, I hooked the garden hose to the heater hose coming out the back of the engine and ran it till it ran clear. I then started the engine with the hose still running and ran it at around 2000 rpm for a short while. This cleaned out the rest of the block. I shut off the engine, shut off the hose, and let the block and radiator drain all that would drain out. I closed both drains (radiator and block) then filled it with distilled water and restarted the engine and ran it for a short while. I opened both drains again and let it drain while I changed the water pump. After the new pump was installed, drains closed, and all put back together, I installed one gallon of antifreeze and topped it off with distilled water. Don't forget to fill the resevor also with some mixed antifreeze. This was probably overkill, but it made me feel comfortable that all the pink stuff was out as I didn't want to mix the two different coolants together.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the same exact problem 5000 miles ago at 48k on my 2008 4 cylinder. It sounded the exact same. It was the water pump. The dealership replaced it under the power train warranty. Cost me nothing!

let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had the same exact problem 5000 miles ago at 48k on my 2008 4 cylinder. It sounded the exact same. It was the water pump. The dealership replaced it under the power train warranty. Cost me nothing!

let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks for all the help everyone. I just finished looking at it. Took the belt off and found that the water pump is bad. The pulley is loose and it is making the griding noise. Called Toyota and they said they would replace it under the warranty and provide a loaner.

Here's a vid I took with the belt off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts