Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone priced a new key for the 07 Camry LE or XLE? (the ones with the keyless entry buttons built in.)

·
ToyotaNation Member
2007 Camry LE
174 Posts
slick07LE said:
Wow! Did that price come from a dealer???
Yes!

I am currently waiting on one that I got on ebay($40). I will have to get the key portion recut and then have it reprogrammed. The dealer said they would reprogram the key for about $100 or so.
Does anyone know if there is any other place that can reprogram the key?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Burnes said:
Yes!

I am currently waiting on one that I got on ebay($40). I will have to get the key portion recut and then have it reprogrammed. The dealer said they would reprogram the key for about $100 or so.
Does anyone know if there is any other place that can reprogram the key?
Thanks. Be sure to post if you find another way to do it rather than taking it to the dealer. I know when I had my last car, I was able to find instructions online for programiming the older keychain keyless entry remote, but haven't seen anything about this one.

·
Registered
103 Posts
$258 is dealer retail for the key. Our dealership doesn't charge to cut keys, however programming a key can cost an hour of labor if it requires a reflash of the ECU (i know the prius is this way...). If it doesn't require an ECU flash I'm pretty sure Toyota has the programming how to in the repair manual (search for orst.edu... GO BEAVERS!) or on a TSB you can get through Tundra Solutions. It's basically a series of open door, turn key, roll up window, grab ankles, count to three, pray it worked to get it programmed.

·
Registered
Camry SE
167 Posts
My dealer said if i wanted a extra it was 100 bucks with programming. Idk if that refers to the SE or not. They gave me 2 main keys though, maybe it depends on the dealer. cause the dealer i went to I got alot of free stuff, ex: 3 free maintance checks, and 3 free inspections.

But you should be able to get the keys cheaper. These keys are not diamond cut right? kinda hard to see a key costing so much unless its one of them chip ones where only a key with a chip can start it.

·
ToyotaNation Member
2007 Camry LE
174 Posts
rawknmxpx said:
$258 is dealer retail for the key. Our dealership doesn't charge to cut keys, however programming a key can cost an hour of labor if it requires a reflash of the ECU (i know the prius is this way...). If it doesn't require an ECU flash I'm pretty sure Toyota has the programming how to in the repair manual (search for orst.edu... GO BEAVERS!) or on a TSB you can get through Tundra Solutions. It's basically a series of open door, turn key, roll up window, grab ankles, count to three, pray it worked to get it programmed.
I couldn't find anything on how to program a key do you have a link?

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
Burnes said:
I couldn't find anything on how to program a key do you have a link?

The key has 2 codes. The Immobilizer Code and the Wireless code. Both have to be registered.

It's in the Engine Immobilizer and Door Lock sections of your SERVICE manual.

Dealer has to do it.........

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was just looking at that part of the manual. Before that, I never even thought about having to have a factory key to start the car. I better be more careful with these keys than I was on my last car. The manual says that for the cylinder ignition, there can only be 4 keys, and they all have to be factory made.

·
Registered
102 Posts
2007 camry key

i went to the local hardware store and for $5 they made a copy of my key . it opens the doors . i keep it just in case i lock the camry key inside the car ... hmm ... not sure if i can lock the camry key inside the car

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
just1guy said:
i went to the local hardware store and for $5 they made a copy of my key . it opens the doors . i keep it just in case i lock the camry key inside the car ... hmm ... not sure if i can lock the camry key inside the car

I do the same thing. I keep an all-metal key that only unlocks the doors in my wallet. My wife keeps one in her purse. We keep the valet key in the center consul. If either one of us loses our main key we can open the door and get to the valet key in the consul and at least drive the car home. Then hope we find the original key.

Mike

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mike Gerber said:
I do the same thing. I keep an all-metal key that only unlocks the doors in my wallet. My wife keeps one in her purse. We keep the valet key in the center consul. If either one of us loses our main key we can open the door and get to the valet key in the consul and at least drive the car home. Then hope we find the original key.

Mike
That's a good idea.

·
Not-So-New TN User
2007 Toyota Camry SE
5,565 Posts
Mike Gerber said:

Mike
just hope ur car doesn't get broken into

·
Registered
14 Posts
I started a thread couple weeks ago on retrofitting the '07 key, but have yet to find any guidance whatsoever :argh: I just purchased a used '07 key and a key blank for it, as I gonna attempt to do this to my '06 Avalon XLS.

Programming the remote should be easy, since it only reqires a certain sequence of turnings of ignition/doorlock. However, I don't feel like getting raped by the dealer for them to adapt a new key to the car's immobilizer :ugh3: But I heard that such adaption can be done without the help of dealer's software / equipment, instead all is needed are an existing master key and a specific sequence of pressing and releasing of the gas and brake pedal :confused: Can anyone confirm this?

I've also thought of totally avoiding the need to have the adaptation done by switching immobilizer chip inside the key. That is, to cut up an exisitng (and working) master key for the car to get the chip and swap it to the replacement `07 key. This is just an idea and I'm not too sure on doing this neither :eek::

Please do tell if you have any ideas / comments :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
I searched this forum for programming an new key for my Camry 2007. I can not find what I need.
From Ebay I bought an new key and let it copy with the code.

The manuel sendet with the key, did I use for activating the buttons on the key.
I repeated it for 4 times but I can't get the buttons to work. The car wil also not start with my new key.
Can anyone please explane me what I can do about this ?

·
must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,234 Posts
Your key probably does not have a chip in it. That is why you cant start the car. In order to start the car, your key communicates with the ECU of the car. You have link to eBay auction of key?

·
=]
nasa space shuttle
3,690 Posts

Mike
Time to read all your post's to find clues to where you live so ican get my self a free car.

jk but serious its the internet and u dont know what people could be doing, shouldnt be giving info like that out

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
I searched this forum for programming an new key for my Camry 2007. I can not find what I need.
From Ebay I bought an new key and let it copy with the code.

The manuel sendet with the key, did I use for activating the buttons on the key.
I repeated it for 4 times but I can't get the buttons to work. The car wil also not start with my new key.
Can anyone please explane me what I can do about this ?
If your key has a chip, see post #10.

If no chip, no wireless unlock or start.........

1 - 20 of 30 Posts