Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Anyone on this forum know someone who welds exhaust in Central New Jersey, near Manalapan? I would be over the moon if I could get these two flanges cut out and welded for $200. It would be such as shame if I have to sell this car over this nonsense.

·
Registered
2004Toyota Camry V6
1,672 Posts
Take a chisel and wire brush and remove as much of the iron oxide(what was once the flanges/fasteners) so you/we can see how much of the flanges are left. A little iron oxide goes a long way(i.e.Titanic) so there may be adequate flange material to take a new gasket. The fasteners will have to be cut/hammered out of the flanges. Regards

·
Registered
388 Posts
While I doubt you won't be able to find someone who can cut and weld at a reasonable price, if we're talking small leaks that can be clearly identified after the areas are clean, you do have one other option.

And, yes, it does work and it can fix the issue permanently where it currently exists. If you want to keep the car over the longer term then doing a correct fix or total exhaust replacement is the appropriate course of action. But if you want a fix that will stop those leaks and the size of the holes to be plugged is not huge . . .

I've used this stuff to repair pin holes in exhaust pipes until I could get around to replacing them, and the epoxy holds up better than the actual pipes do over time once you have any hole in them. That's why I say that this is a way to get some extra time, not make a correct and long-lasting (as far as the whole exhaust system goes) repair.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts