Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
13,371 Posts
Plastic and heat expansion? If it was an electrical short explosion thingy, I'd expect fragments of light bulb and clear plastic. Was it parked near a highly reflective building?

Regardless, inspect the best you can and replace. There is little we can do without physically looking at it and making assumptions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Plastic and heat expansion? If it was an electrical short explosion thingy, I'd expect fragments of light bulb and clear plastic. Was it parked near a highly reflective building?

Regardless, inspect the best you can and replace. There is little we can do without physically looking at it and making assumptions.
Both lights were broken from wife and kids pressing them too hard, so maybe they were on. Plus the heat and humidity. So yeah I'm going to order a replacement and check the fuse and hopefully it never happens again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Idk it is the 2007 model, the one that burns oil. So yeah the car probably has a few enemies lol.

·
Registered
725 Posts
The plastic broke and it fell. It did not "explode" look up the definition of "explode". I am sure it fell suddenly as that is how things move when gravity is part of the environment things do not fall out in slow motion. So unless someone had packed an "explosive" behind it their is no way it exploded. The plastic probably made a loud cracking or snapping noise and then it fell under the force of gravity.

If it had exploded you wife would be picking pieces out of her eye's and skin and you would not have a that huge assembly in your hands to take photo's off.

91° Heat is nothing it is 115°+ in Arizona and Toyota cars do not have an "exploding over head console problem".

Ok so now I have to ask what was she smoking? LOL

I would imagine it has been out before or installed wrong or just age and the plastic broke and allowed it to suddenly fall.

No short could do that. There is nothing in that space that has propellent or explosives. Exploding bulbs would not do that and leaving the lights on would not do that either as the car would shut them off after a period of time.

"I swear I saw bigfoot and he was eating a peanut butter and banana sandwich and smelled like moonshine and skunk! Then all of a sudden my overhead console just E-X-P-L-O-D-E-D out at me while I was smoking in my car!"

Pretty sure it just scared her when it happened out of no where but your hunt for what caused it to "explode" will be a fruitless one no signs anything exploded.

Choke it up to the interior being designed and manufactured by Lear Seat Corporation here in Michigan. They make some comfortable seats but their interiors have always been and remain junk just look at GM, Ford and Chrysler vehicles that have their interior content. Durability wise it is the worst Toyota interior I have ever seen I own a 2003 and the wife owns a 2007 and the difference is huge in durability.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts