Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Toyota Collector
12,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've read pretty every 2007 Camry review on the interweb, including user ratings. I'm really surprised at the disparity between the reviews. What is going on here? Reviews range from raves to all out rants. What's the story here?

For example:

Yahoo autos, overall car is rated 2.5 stars out of 5. Not exactly stellar.
About auto buying guide. 4 out of 5 stars.

Automobile.com review:
At the end of my daylong test, Im resolved that this new Camry is by far the best vehicle available in the midsize class.
2007 Camry Motor Trend Car of the Year
e-opinions 3.5 stars out of 5
about.com 4.5 stars out of 5

Car.com review snippets:
  • The biggest disappointment was the lack of a luxurious feel and the low quality craftsmanship that is apparent.
  • What more should a Camry deliver? Quiet, for one, and our Camry was not quiet inside. At idle, valvetrain noise gets into the cabin, and once underway, the engine exhibits a whine not unlike that of a General Motors V6. Refinement doesn’t seem to be a strong point with this engine. Add in the irritating wind noise that seems to be coming from the windshield wiper arms, and the significant road rumble coming up through the floor, and the Camry is much louder inside than expected.
  • Surprisingly for a Toyota, there were several quality issues I noticed upon inspection of the Camry. On the exterior, I found hood gaps that varied from side to side, the gaps where the A-pillar met the fenders varied in size, and a strip of black window trim was coming un-glued and was bowing out.
  • Inside, the bad news continued. The small door behind the shifter was poorly centered and the instrument panel displayed gaps around its perimeter. Several parts weren’t flush where they came together and the A-pillar covers felt loose and sloppy. I also felt a better grade of plastic could have been used on the interior surfaces, which would have helped rid the Camry of the rental car feel that plagues many midsized sedans. Honestly, I was surprised to see this many quality issues with a Toyota.
  • No car with a $31,000 price tag, regardless of whether it’s a Chevy or a Toyota, should exhibit the kind of quality issues we found with our 2007 Camry XLE V6 tester. Among the points most notable were irregular gaps on the sides of the dash; a dash cap that was lifting by the side vents; sections around the instrument panel that were not flush; inconsistent gaps around the glovebox and the cubby forward of the shifter; loose pillar covers; a squeaky shifter plate cover; open spaces between the rear door plastic panels and the leather inserts; multiple grain patterns throughout the cabin; and a fuzzy headliner in lieu of preferred mesh. To its credit, this Camry featured soft leather, a light-colored wood that only I seemed to appreciate, and soft plastic on the dash.
  • But, c’mon people, this is a Toyota Camry, the godly car pointed to for decades as a shining example of what imports were doing right and Detroit was fouling up – namely, building a quality vehicle. Based on the details of several Toyotas we’ve recently evaluated, including this Camry, it’s obvious that times have changed. Buyers blindly opting for Toyotas based on reputation owe it to themselves to thoroughly inspect their chosen model before signing on the dotted line.
  • We’ve come to expect this kind of indifferent assembly from the former Big Three automakers – in particular General Motors. But after taking a close look at the way our 2007 Toyota Camry was assembled and the materials used in its construction, and comparing these observations to the sticker price and what we uncovered in as thorough a probe of that $27,000 Hyundai Azera we test drove the same week, I have no other choice but to conclude that Toyota has lost its Camry mojo.

·
2007 Black XLE V6 Camry
422 Posts
I have to agree on the fact in comparison between the Honda Accord vs Camry, the lack of craftmanship is apparent. I notice gaps in area where they could've done better and details that could've been improved.

In terms of road noise, the camry is better than accord in that area. I think that is Honda biggest weakest is their inability to handle road noise well.

Sine the camry was redesigned from the ground up (at least in the V6 model), the comparison of it to the Honda Accord, engine wise, Camry is better. More horsepower with compariable MPG...

In the features area, Camry definitely has one piece Honda Accord don't have and I don't see it showing up anytime soon. Which is the feature found in Lexus and Camry Hybrid. The Smartkey feature of keyless entry and push button start.

The JBL soundsystem didn't impress me, as I think Honda Accord has better sound system.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Bottom line is first year vehicles will have problems.

The '08 Accord will have it's flaws too.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I traded a 2005 Mercury Montego Premier for my 07 XLE and the quality is so much better on the Camry that I can't believe there are any REAL negative reviews. As with everything else in this country the person that spends the most on advertising gets the best reviews. That's why I only trust reviews coming from current owners.

The Montego has great reviews but when you read the owners reviews and the TSB's it's easy to see why Ford is facing bankruptcy.

·
Toyota Collector
12,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
ilovetocamp said:
...the quality is so much better on the Camry that I can't believe there are any REAL negative reviews.
I am suspicious about some of the negative "user" reviews I've read. The reason I say that is because I noticed that a few negative reviews posted for the Camry and also other Toyota's seems like they were written by the same person! The wording etc. was VERY close.

However, it's hard to believe that all the negative reviews are staged. Read though these reviews, there seems to be a lot of disappointed people.

I've already put down a deposit on my Camry and applied for financing, but am having serious second thoughts. It is possible to cancel the sale? Will they do that? Are there penalties? Or will they stick it to me and force me to buy the car? I'm having serious doubts out buying this car! (I'm in Canada BTW)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
71Corolla said:
I've already put down a deposit on my Camry and applied for financing, but am having serious second thoughts. It is possible to cancel the sale? Will they do that? Are there penalties? Or will they stick it to me and force me to buy the car? I'm having serious doubts out buying this car! (I'm in Canada BTW)
If you're so scared to buy a Camry,why worry about the deposit?
It may be just worth it not having the flawed Camry.:lol:

·
Banned
2007 Toyota Camry SE
698 Posts
First of all, you would have to be an absolute idiot not to know that an overwhelming amount of Camry reviews on Yahoo! Autos and MSN Autos are FAKE. Most the reviews are worded the same...most of the reviews come from people in California...and notice how basically none of the reviews suggest buying another Japanese car like the Accord or Altima. They all say get some shitty ass GM or Ford product. There are reviews that don't even make sense. They say that the car was purchased and then AFTERWARDS thats when they realized the car had a bad hesistation problem...the interior is cheap...the ride quality is harsh, etc etc...That is obviously fake because who would be stupid enough to buy a 20K car and not realize all those problems beforehand??? Thats why we have test drives. I would take the reviews on Yahoo and MSN with a grain of salt to say the least.

·
Toyota Collector
12,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Joe B said:
If you're so scared to buy a Camry,why worry about the deposit?
Because I put down a substantial amount for the deposit, $2500 on my Mastercard. It was the max they allow on a credit card. I did it because I get air miles and thought, what the hell may as well.

First of all, you would have to be an absolute idiot not to know that an overwhelming amount of Camry reviews on Yahoo! Autos and MSN Autos are FAKE.
then I guess I'm a total idiot.

So there are hundreds of people trolling around participating in viral marketing?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't think it would be hard to believe there are several trolls out there. If I was a Ford or GM employee and knew people were fed up with buying their junk I would go to the best competitor and make false statements too.

It's kind of like the negative ads the unions run against Walmart. It threatens the life style of the union leaders when there are that many employees that don't need them. I have 3 family members that work for Walmart and they all love working there and also agree for their education they are making more than they ever thought possible.

I really wouldn't worry about the Camry you have ordered. I bought a new Avalon in 1995 (the 1st year they came out) and was trouble free for 10 years. My new Camry has been flawless so far and I am yet to find ANYTHING that it needs to return to the dealer for. I traded a 2005 Montego that was at the dealership more than it was in my garage. It still had problems when I traded it that were never fixed.

·
Banned
2007 Toyota Camry SE
698 Posts
There are many people who are paid (some unpaid) by companies like GM and Ford whose job is to go on car review forums and bash their competitors. You go read reviews for similar cars like the Accord, Altima, Sonata and you won't see the same reviews. And those cars will have higher ratings than the Camry. Why is this? Because they are better than the Camry? No...its because the Camry is currently the #1 car in America. So these "trolls" are going after what car is threatening there precious companies the most. I have never seen as many new Camry's rolling along this soon after introductive, ever. Around my area you would think the new Camry has been out for years because they are EVERYWHERE. I was at a 4-way light today and their were FIVE 07 Camry's!

·
LEmon V6
LEmon
211 Posts
LunarMist said:
First of all, you would have to be an absolute idiot not to know that an overwhelming amount of Camry reviews on Yahoo! Autos and MSN Autos are FAKE. Most the reviews are worded the same...most of the reviews come from people in California...and notice how basically none of the reviews suggest buying another Japanese car like the Accord or Altima. They all say get some shitty ass GM or Ford product. There are reviews that don't even make sense. They say that the car was purchased and then AFTERWARDS thats when they realized the car had a bad hesistation problem...the interior is cheap...the ride quality is harsh, etc etc...That is obviously fake because who would be stupid enough to buy a 20K car and not realize all those problems beforehand??? Thats why we have test drives. I would take the reviews on Yahoo and MSN with a grain of salt to say the least.
And if you would have read the post, the hesitation problems which lead to most transmission problems, started after the test drive. More like 800-1200 miles after the initial test drive. BTW I live in Louisiana and my complaint/review is the REAL DEAL!

·
Banned
2007 Toyota Camry SE
698 Posts
Well as much as i sympathize with you my sympathy only goes so far because everyone knows that you are taking a BIG gamble with getting a first year car. I knew the risks when I got my Camry but I decided to take it anyway. I am getting bad gas mileage with my Camry but thats a risk I assumed.

·
Premium Member
2012 Base Tacoma 4x4, 2007 Camry XLE
1,329 Posts
Go with your gut...get off the fence.

I know my 07 Camry is tight. The Fit & Finish is supurb. It is pretty quiet. Not as quiet as my Park Avenue but they are different classes of cars. There are things I don't care for in the Camry....but they are small things.

Over all it is the best 20K I ever spent on a car. Nothing in GM's line up came close. 7 air bags is a nice thing to have when you have family to cart around.

If it will make you feel any better get the 6 or 7year/100K warranty. I got the 6yr/100K for $1300.00. That included a lot of other things like rentals, protection packages, credit life, loss of income, all weather mats & cargo netting, etc.

It is a pretty good car. This is coming from a guy that bought only GM for 35 years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the 2007 LE V6 and like it a lot. It is roomy has all the conveniences vey nice JBL audio with XM, fast accelaration. Latest gas mileage mostly half city half highway is 24 MPG. I also have the 2000 Camry and like the 2007 better. Now if my wife woiuld only let me drive it more. Yes there is a risk in buying a new model but I would take taht risk with Toyota before any other manufacturer.

·
Registered
420 Posts
maybe the reason the ford fusion review 'blows' away the camry's is because only maybe like 5 ppl bought one... whereas the camrys are selling fast, ppl with a problem with their car will generally make it known anyway they can.... if ur so unsure about getting a camry, why dont you go rent one for a month and see how you like it.... its better to come up with your own opinion rather than just relying on reviews

·
Registered
36 Posts
I might as well chime in and say that other than a few intermittent rattles which I have identified in the head liner the car is flawless. Although, at -10C the dash was creaking pretty good at the passenger top corner until the cabin warmed up. It's pretty rigid plastic butting tight up against other plastic. They might want to revisit that part. BTW, SE 4 banger canadian C package (leather, roof and other mandatory crap).

I just don't believe ppl posting stuff about gaps in the body panels, etc. I have a March/06 build. My extended family has 2 Toyota shops and we have never seen it and I have gone on a dealer tour of the factory and the processes don't allow for some cars to be made with out-of-aligned panel gaps.

The rear brakes do squeal in reverse after sitting over night. So what. No damage is being done. Live with it. The 4 cylinder hesitation does exist to some extent on vehicles that are driven always timidly and then punched hard for power on rare occasion. Same thing on Ravs. It's a drive by wire anomaly in conjunction with the gear selection. Reset ECU or get a reflash, but a better reflash might be coming out in later 07. Nobody is quite clear about it. They are working on it they say. It's not ideal, but what is. :whatwhat:

Be interested in how the 08 Accord 4 cylinder automatic works out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
71Corolla said:
I am suspicious about some of the negative "user" reviews I've read. The reason I say that is because I noticed that a few negative reviews posted for the Camry and also other Toyota's seems like they were written by the same person! The wording etc. was VERY close.

However, it's hard to believe that all the negative reviews are staged. Read though these reviews, there seems to be a lot of disappointed people.

Most buyer's contracts (at least here in USA) are pretty airtight, and do not allow you to get your money back if you cancel the contract. Regardless, unless you ordered a custom-equipped vehicle or a hard-to-sell model, it's likely that the dealer will let you cancel, especially if you tell the dealer you want to apply your deposit to a different model of car at the same dealer or another of their branches that sells a different brand of car.

I have an 07 V6 XLE Camry, and I've had a lot of frustration with it, due to the transmission flare problem, as well as rattles and mediocre fit-and-finish (e.g., 3mm gaps between panels on the dash and center stack that are supposed to be flush). The flare problem was annoying at most, considering the car's high price. It was mostly fixed with a new transmission. I cannot say I'm thrilled paying $30K for a new car that's been butchered by having the transmission replaced by incompetent and careless dealer mechanics, but it does work. Supposedly, the more recently built cars don't have this defect.

Overall, it's a nice car, considering the interior and exterior styling and amenities (mine's fully loaded, though). I find it very quiet inside, but then my previous car was a noisy 05 Prius. It's also very comfortable, and the ergonomics are quite good.

·
Toyota Collector
12,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ToyotaCarFan said:
Most buyer's contracts (at least here in USA) are pretty airtight, and do not allow you to get your money back if you cancel the contract. Regardless, unless you ordered a custom-equipped vehicle or a hard-to-sell model, it's likely that the dealer will let you cancel, especially if you tell the dealer you want to apply your deposit to a different model of car at the same dealer or another of their branches that sells a different brand of car.
I called Toyota Canada to ask them what their policy was regarding cancelling a sales contract. They told me this is something specific to each dealer and their policies can vary. I already knew the answer to this, but I called Toyota Canada anyway just to be certain.

After much thought I decided to cancel the deal, and called the dealer up. I talked to my sales person and to make a long story short, I was told that I can cancel the deal but will have to pay $500 because they are bringing in my car from another dealer and $500 is the freight. Now firstly, I didn't order a car with special features. I ordered a standard package, no options. They just happened to not have the car in the colour I wanted on the lot at the time. I argued with the sales person for a bit, and ended up talking to the sales manager. He tried to give me the same line about them having to bring a car in from another dealer, which is actually BS. Anyway, I pretty much cornered the manager on logic and he ended up telling me that I have to abide by the contract regardless.

Well the only problem is, they never gave me a copy of anything. I had no paper work, so I couldn't very well abide by something I don't actually have. In the end the dealer decided I was more trouble than it's worth and gave me back my deposit. I feel lucky that I got it all back. I don't blame the dealer for anything, and kinda feel bad that I wasted their time etc.

Having said all that, I'm glad I did not purchase the car even though I love many aspects of it. I just feel like Toyota has lost an edge and the 2007 Camry is more flawed then I'm willing to put up with. I've owned many, many Toyota's and currently own 3 now. I've owned everything from a '71 Crown, '73 Corona, '84 Cressida, '85 MR2 etc. I currently have a restored 1971 Corolla (TE27), an '87 Camry, '94 Truck and a boat load of engines, transmissions etc.

I'm pretty close to buying a 2001 Camry LE (Japanese built) instead of the 2007. It's loaded including leather with 50,000 miles so I can't pass it up. I've never had any serious issues with any Toyota I've owned, and I've come to take the quality and reliability for granted. I realize Toyota's over the years have had their share of problems, but even given that I always felt that the basic goodness and Toyota breeding was there despite the flaws. In other words, it was a genuine Toyota.

With the new Camry, I somehow don't get that feeling after my initial impressions. And after reading about all the glitches, bugs etc. with the 2007 Camry I just got spooked and bailed out. Did I make a mistake? Perhaps. I still think the car is head and shoulders above the vast majority of autos out there. Maybe it's just not for me.

I have an 07 V6 XLE Camry, and I've had a lot of frustration with it, due to the transmission flare problem, as well as rattles and mediocre fit-and-finish (e.g., 3mm gaps between panels on the dash and center stack that are supposed to be flush). The flare problem was annoying at most, considering the car's high price. It was mostly fixed with a new transmission. I cannot say I'm thrilled paying $30K for a new car that's been butchered by having the transmission replaced by incompetent and careless dealer mechanics, but it does work. Supposedly, the more recently built cars don't have this defect.
These are the exact kind of stories that helped me make up my mind.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts