Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Camry
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post!

Last week I noticed the side coolant reservoir was nearly empty and caused me to look around the engine bay for possible leaks. I noticed dry pink stains on the coolant intake hose and saw the top of the radiator had small cracks. I ordered a denso replacement radiator and installed it a few days ago (Saturday) along with new upper and lower hoses and thermostat.

I filled up the radiator with Toyota pink coolant and removed the bleeder fitting letting coolant come out a bit before I put the fitting back in. I also filled the side coolant reservoir to the "F" hash mark.

Here is where my concern lies. I have only driven the car for 1 day (about 100 miles). When the engine is warm the side tank stays at "F". I have noticed though after the car cools down (about an hour or 2 later) the coolant level on the side reservoir drops about an inch.

After parking the car in my garage over night the reservoir was now between the "F" and the "L" marks. Does this indicate I have a leak in the system?

The garage floor does not have any coolant on the floor. The exhaust does not smell of coolant and the oil look nice and clean. I looked under the oil cap and that looks good as well.

On a side note, the hose that goes into the side reservoir does have a small bubble come out of it at the bottom and float to the top randomly. I have tried to smell it but all I get is coolant smell lol!

I tried to bleed the system of air pockets as I'm hoping that is all it is but I am worried this could be something worse. With the rad cap off and the engine running I squeezed both hoses and I got several bubbles out when I first refilled the radiator.

So is it normal for the side coolant reservoir to drop the first few days of a radiator change or am I possibly in trouble?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2004Toyota Camry V6
2,176 Posts
Coolant expands as it is heated. If the coolant is up to the bottom of the radiator cap at ambient, some coolant is going to be forced into the overflow reservoir by expansion. When the cooling system cools down, the coolant is pulled back into the engine. The radiator cap is a two-way valve.Fill the reservoir to the upper line at ambient and level should stabilize. What you are seeing is normal. Regards

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
15,158 Posts
Bleeding coolant normally takes several days. I have bled cars for hours only to have the level drop a week later.

I usually fill the reservoir the top after a drain and fill, to allow for normal bleeding that occurs during driving.

Reactions: Paul3637
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.