Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I lost the key to my 2007 corolla. I do not have a duplicate. I only have the remote to lock and unlock the doors.
I called the dealerships and they are charging around 300-500.(Varied from dealer to dealer).
Can i get this done outside? Or should it be done only by dealer?

I checked some sites where they say, i could purchase a fob on amazon and get it done by dealer.
Can you explain, what i need to do to get it doen this way?

Thanks in Advance

·
8,516 Posts

·
Toyota Fanatic
1,145 Posts
Do you know if your corolla has an immobilizer chip in it? I know earlier models or I believe the CE does not. In that case, you just need the key code and order it or have it cut, no program necessary. But if you have a chip, things get rough.

Technically you need at least one master key to program the rest if you want to do it yourself, since you lost that key, it's very hard if not impossible to do it yourself without an authorized Techstream account. Without the master you will need to reseed the ECU which is where the dealer makes their money. Some master locksmiths will do it for a bit cheaper but still expect to pay as the process requires a verified locksmith.

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
15,060 Posts
Without a master key, you will not be able to add keys. And without the proper security software or hack, you will not be able to reseed the ECU to add a new master key. A seed number is sort of like the base password to the ECU. Your ECU has a seed number that is linked to a master key. The master key is the passcode that allows access to the ECU for adding new keys. A valet key does not have that passcode. This prevents a valet or anyone with your valet key (which you normally give to those you don't trust) from using your valet key to make new keys. This is also why you should carry the valet key and give it to a valet instead of the master key. The master key also locks out the trunk on cars and glove box on vehicles with a glove box lock, that make them inaccessible with the valet key.

If you are very tech savvy, you can buy a new master key (or 2-3) and have it cut. Then you can hack the ECU and place it into programming mode:

If you are not that tech savvy, you will just need to go to the dealer. Without a master key, your only likely option is the expensive one.

You will have to take it to a dealer, buy a new master key, and have it and your old valet key programmed. They will have to "reseed" the ECU (change the seed number). That can only be done by a Toyota MDT or locksmith with NASTF Vehicle Security Professional Registry registration AND a Techstream with TIS access. Since I doubt there are many of the latter, you are stuck with the dealer option. You cannot program any new key without a master key.

Reactions: heartdisease

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
15,060 Posts
Thanks for the good info Mike, you always know your stuff :thumbsup: Hope you all have a good and safe New Years Eve as well :)
Glad to help! Hope yours was great as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts