Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed lately there is a whitish pinkish "crust" on all the pulleys and underside of the hood, where it looks like there is coolant leaking onto the belt and the belt is flinging it all around. I haven't noticed a significant loss of coolant in the last 7000 miles, but if i wipe it off it comes back after awhile. I wiped it off this afternoon and drove 50 miles and there was none where i wiped it off (ac on, heater off). Don't notice any on the ground either. Don't see any leaking when engine is up to temp either. Where could it be coming from? I also wonder if maybe it only happens with the heater on, i had to turn it on this morning and last and noticed there was more of it there when i looked at it after i got to school. Any help would be appreciated!! This is my first corolla so still trying to learn about it.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Sounds exactly like my leaky water pump experience. How many miles do you have? If you are under 60K miles, you are ok as the water pump replacement is under the powertrain warranty. Lay underneath the car and look up at the water pump for the pink crust, take some pictures, and then take it to the dealer for a new water pump. Do not wash or anyhow remove the crust deposits until the pump is replaced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunatley i have about 67,000 miles on it. That gives me a start though. Thanks. I have felt all around and looked at it several times and can never feel any wetness. Just the pink crust around the pulleys and the coolant is about an inch below the Full mark on the bottle.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
That sucks. Take a look at the water pump to confirm and then decide if you want to replace it or have a mechanic replace it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well looked at the underside of the water pump and there was definitely alot of pink crusty build up on the under side. That's gotta be what it is.

Any body have any tips or diagrams showing how to get the water pump off? It looks pretty tight in there. I'd imagine it's no more than taking the belt off and just unbolt the pump and bolt the new one on. Might have to take the alternator off too looks like. Any advice would be great

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Drain coolant
remove belt and splash shield
remove 6 mounting bolts
remove water pump and o ring
remove pump pulley
reinstall and fill coolant properly to remove air.

·
Registered
411 Posts
But I don't think you have to rush with this. It can work fine for many more months if the leak does not increase.

·
Registered
2005 Corolla
532 Posts
Hope this helps!! http://www.alldatapro.com/alldata/PRO~V7728843~C8000~R0~OH~N/0javascript:helpWindow('/WebHelp/ALLDATA_ONLINE.htm#CS_Article_Page.htm')

Select Vehicle | New TSBs | Technician's ReferenceComponent Search:
Conversion Calculator
2007 Toyota Corolla L4-1.8L (1ZZ-FE)

Vehicle Level
Engine, Cooling and Exhaust
Cooling System
Water Pump
Service and Repair
Service and Repair WATER PUMP

COMPONENTS (Part 1)

COMPONENTS (Part 2)

REMOVAL

1. REMOVE ENGINE UNDER COVER RH
  2. DRAIN ENGINE COOLANT
  3. REMOVE FAN AND GENERATOR V BELT
  4. REMOVE GENERATOR ASSEMBLY

1. REMOVE WATER PUMP ASSEMBLY
(a)Remove the 6 bolts, then remove the water pump.

(b)Remove the O-ring from the timing chain cover.INSPECTION

1. INSPECT WATER PUMP ASSEMBLY
(a)Check the area of the water pump assembly indicated in the illustration for traces of coolant leakage.If leakage is found, replace the water pump.INSTALLATION

1. INSTALL WATER PUMP ASSEMBLY
(a)Install a new O-ring into the timing chain cover.

(b)Install the water pump with the 6 bolts.Torque: Bolt A 9.0 Nm (92 kgf-cm, 80 inch lbs.) Bolt B 11 Nm (112 kgf-cm, 8 ft. lbs.)
  1. INSTALL GENERATOR ASSEMBLY
  2. INSPECT FOR COOLANT LEAK
  3. CHECK FOR ENGINE COOLANT LEAK
  4. INSTALL ENGINE UNDER COVER RH

Terms of Use

Reactions: mikered30

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again for all of that. Figured it wasn't too complicated. Not used to these "sideways" motors!

I want to just get it fixed. i drive 50 miles to school each way daily and don't want it to go out while on the commute.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On refilling the coolant system, what is the best way to get the air out of the system? And when filling, would you fill the clear reservoir or through the radiator cap or does it matter?

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
The rad cap is the highest point on the system, just keep filling the rad with the engine on and heat on high and the air will escape. Keep filling until full and watch the level for a couple of days. Best to carry the coolant around too. There are no bleeders on this engine. Fill through the rad cap with toyota pink.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got it all changed out, not bad at all. The old pump definetely was leaking where the shaft meets the pulley. Filled the radiator with coolant up to full, and filled the reservoir to the full line, driven it 50 miles already and its down about an inch or two in the plastic reservoir, i assume its just workin the air out of the system (???). No more leaks or antifreeze anywhere that i can tell. The car idled really rough when i first started it, but went away after about a mile of driving and now it is running smoother than ever. thanks for all the info

·
Registered
411 Posts
The car idled really rough when i first started it, but went away after about a mile of driving and now it is running smoother than ever. thanks for all the info
That's normal, the computer has to relearn how the car works.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Got it all changed out, not bad at all. The old pump definetely was leaking where the shaft meets the pulley. Filled the radiator with coolant up to full, and filled the reservoir to the full line, driven it 50 miles already and its down about an inch or two in the plastic reservoir, i assume its just workin the air out of the system (???). No more leaks or antifreeze anywhere that i can tell. The car idled really rough when i first started it, but went away after about a mile of driving and now it is running smoother than ever. thanks for all the info
How did you clean out the pink dried stuff off the pulleys?

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
6,637 Posts
How did you clean out the pink dried stuff off the pulleys?
n20 hasn't been around since Sept 2010... Try hot water and detergent with a brush and/or rag, then rinse off with running water. If it's really stuck on, use a scouring pad (green scrubber used for dishes).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts