Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this forum, so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place.

The metal section in the middle of the ATF coolant lines between the transmission and the radiator are rusted out to the point of failure and are leaking fluid. I was going to replace with part #32907-02030 from Toyota, as well as the hose sections and spring clamps, but my questions are:

1. What is the point of the metal section in the middle of this line, just to have a bracket to attach to the frame?
2. And if that is the only reason why the hoses are broken up by the metal section, can't I just skip the metal part and replace it all with unbroken coolant hoses?

I am not trying to "cheapen out" by not buying the metal part, but if it is a design defect (low positioned metal rusting out from road salt on a critical fluid line), wouldn't it be better to only have hoses here and possibly hold them to the frame with zip ties?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive exhaust Automotive fuel system
Marine invertebrates Terrestrial plant Fashion accessory Terrestrial animal Wood

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
1) Yes bolted to the support. Probably to just keep the lines from running free.
2) Don’t see a problem with replacing with singular hoses. Likely safer to secure it to the support of course.

In nicer climates, we never have rust there. My Corolla hardly has any surface rust at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
688 Posts
Those transmission lines getting rusted out is very common in the corolla and matrix. I did my 06 Corolla 2 years ago and now my brothers Matrix needs it.
Great idea for just running rubber lines all the way. Probably would work just fine. Not sure why they added a small section of tubing.
That little piece of tubing is about $75 at the dealer. I might consider your idea, or just add a small piece of tubing between the rubber lines. Might have to get longer rubber lines even for that.
Good luck....

·
Registered
2005 Corolla
533 Posts
Reactions: kevcules46

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I think I am going ahead and running just hoses without the metal part in between. I will update this post how it goes in case anyone else has this issue in the future.

·
Registered
2007 Silver Corolla CE Auto
482 Posts
Funny............my cursor accidentially hovered on/over the 2nd picture and the title(?) of the picture can up as "Marine Invertebrates Terrestrial plant fashion accessory"................hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
06 Toyota Camry XLE, 16 Corolla S
807 Posts
Funny............my cursor accidentially hovered on/over the 2nd picture and the title(?) of the picture can up as "Marine Invertebrates Terrestrial plant fashion accessory"................hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Yes, I know some of the tags are really funny on the pics.

Hi, I'm new to this forum, so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place.

The metal section in the middle of the ATF coolant lines between the transmission and the radiator are rusted out to the point of failure and are leaking fluid. I was going to replace with part #32907-02030 from Toyota, as well as the hose sections and spring clamps, but my questions are:

1. What is the point of the metal section in the middle of this line, just to have a bracket to attach to the frame?
2. And if that is the only reason why the hoses are broken up by the metal section, can't I just skip the metal part and replace it all with unbroken coolant hoses?

I am not trying to "cheapen out" by not buying the metal part, but if it is a design defect (low positioned metal rusting out from road salt on a critical fluid line), wouldn't it be better to only have hoses here and possibly hold them to the frame with zip ties?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

View attachment 352516 View attachment 352517
Are you missing the lower engine covers that protect those pipes and hoses from the elements as much as possible?

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
16,210 Posts
Yes, I know some of the tags are really funny on the pics.

Are you missing the lower engine covers that protect those pipes and hoses from the elements as much as possible?
Apparently on that section there is no splash shield as that has been asked before.

·
Registered
684 Posts
i think the metal tube section is to keep the line from getting tangled up and fold and causing blockage of fluid traveling through. u can always go to homedepo or any hardware store and find a metal tube of the same size to replace it. if u really want the same one, junk yard is another option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Automotive exterior
Thanks for the replies.
This is what I wound up doing: two and a half foot runs of ATF coolant line, held in place with zip ties, double clamped at each connection. There is a plastic shield that went back into place afterwards, fastened to the metal frame. The first parts store tried to sell me fuel lines as that was all they had (twenty year old clerk said "that's what I would use"), so I had to go to store down the road for ATF lines.
I don't know anything about "marine invertebrates."

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
View attachment 353145 Thanks for the replies.
This is what I wound up doing: two and a half foot runs of ATF coolant line, held in place with zip ties, double clamped at each connection. There is a plastic shield that went back into place afterwards, fastened to the metal frame. The first parts store tried to sell me fuel lines as that was all they had (twenty year old clerk said "that's what I would use"), so I had to go to store down the road for ATF lines.
I don't know anything about "marine invertebrates."
Awesome.

Yeah, It always seem to come to that at auto stores sometimes. Different hose for different applications! I’ve had a vacuum hose on a throttle body coolant line once.(wasn’t my fix) Yeah, it cracked and developed pinholes that let coolant out. Also had worm clamps... replaced with heater core coolant lines and spring clamps. Crazy what people will put on cars these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
688 Posts
Great work!
I'm going to do something similar to my brothers Matrix soon. I'm going to replace the rusted metal tubing with new tubing and just bend to shape. They are just 2 small pieces too.
If I struggle too much, you're idea will work just fine. :)

·
Registered
688 Posts
Did my brothers Matrix today. I bought some 5/16" brake line (24") and cut to size. I also flared the ends a little to help prevent the hoses from coming off. I reused some of the spring clamps right beside the regular hose clamps, as I didn't trust them by themselves.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts