Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
07 Avie Limited
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've decide to start research and thus this diary on how to do my rear entertainment system. I'm definitely doing this... it's just a question of how. My wife wanted a minivan but one of the ways I convinced her to get the Avalon was if we put a rear entertainment system in it... so it's' a done deal. I'm in the research phase right now and will recording my findings and results in this thread. It may take a few weeks because I'm going to take my time, but if you want to follow along or give suggestions you can here.

Current system:
1. Stock JBL without navigation

Entering arguements:
1. I want a rear seat entertainment system with front seat controls for under $2000
2. I have not seen a casette tape in years and have no need for the tape player
3. The JBL sound is fine. It's actually much better than the Bose factory system of my last car, so I'm happy (as of right now)
4. I'm going try to design the system, but professionals will install it

Needs:
1. Rear sear entertainment - I'm opting for the headrest solution since the flip down roofs models will get in the way of my rear view and I have the sunroof.
2. DVD movies

Wants:
1. Game input
2. MP3
3. Sirius/XM capability
4. Bluetooth
5. Functional control from the front
6. Interface with the JBL stereo system

Potential snags:
1. If I replace tape player, size limitations
2. Proprietary nature of Toyota's AVC-LAN system

·
Registered
07 Avie Limited
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Head unit option 1:

My idea is to possibly install in place of tape player:
====================================================

Clarion VRX375USB

DVD±R/DVD±RW ready »CD-R/RW ready »MP3, WMA and iTunes® AAC (only USB) Compatible with ID3-TAG display » Official DivX® Certified product » Plays all versions of DivX® video (including DivX® 6) with standard playback of DivX® media files » Rear USB connector »18 FM/12 AM presets »iPod direct connection and control »Shock proof memory »24-bit D/A converter »Subwoofer volume control » 2-Zone entertainment: Front and Rear separate source control » Z-Enhancer Plus sound customization » 2-band parametric equalizer » MAGNA BASS EX dynamic bass enhancement » Built-in LPF/HPF » Built-in amplifier canceller » 50W×4 Built-in MOS-FET Amplifier » Motorized sloping control panel with 3.5-inch TFT color LCD monitor » Adjustable display brightness » A/V Input with Level Control » 6 ch RCA Output » OEM Steering Wheel Remote Ready » Bluetooth Interface Ready (Optional BLT370) » Detouchable control panel

·
Registered
07 Avie Limited
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Head unit option 2:

DVD/CD receiver with built-in amplifer (20 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels) » CEA-2006 compliant » 3.5" TFT LCD monitor built into the motorized, fold-down faceplate » on-screen display of JPEG images » plays DVDs, DVD-Rs, DVD-RWs, CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs, Video CDs, and MP3/WMA/WAV discs » Giga MP3 capability — will play up to 100 hours of MP3/WMA files burned onto a single recordable DVD » DVD-Audio compatible » on-board 5.1 surround-sound decoding » 7-band iEQ » XM and SIRIUS Satellite Radio-ready (you can add satellite radio for under $100, plus subscription) » CD changer controls » audio/video input (can be switched between audio/video and backup camera modes) » audio/video output » dual-zone mode » front, rear, center channel, and subwoofer preamp outputs » HS-IV AM/FM tuner » wireless remote

·
Registered
07 Avie Limited
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Either of these head units would replace my tape player and feed two rear seat headset monitors. The existing JBL head unit would stay in place.

·
'07 Avalon Limited
'07 Avalon Ltd
1,093 Posts
I don't know if I can contribute much to your diary but I'm certainly interested in following along!

In trying to meet your needs, and potentially circumvent the potential snags, have you considered installing a windows-based computer system? It will play DVDs, MP3s, offers wireless controls capability, could even provide navigation, wireless web access (with live traffic/weather/etc.) and a whole slew of other features. Just a thought...

(Added afterthought:) There are touch screens that could be built in that allow custom programming of macros that would allow simple screen taps to perform the functions that you're looking for. One in particular that I've worked with is from Crestron. Check their website for more info...

·
Registered
07 Avie Limited
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestion Tom... looks like the Crestron TPMC-8x has a $3800 price tag. This device might be a little "over-qualified" for what I'm looking for... and it's overbudget for me. I'm gonna surf around for cheaper alternatives to PC alternative... I'll consider this option if the price is right. ;)

·
'07 Avalon Limited
'07 Avalon Ltd
1,093 Posts
That Creston model was the "Cadillac" (or would that be the Avalon Limited?) in a long line of potential solutions. There are other, more reasonably priced, alternatives.

I'd go with a PC-based solution - but then I'm a computer geek... What would you expect of me? ;)

·
Registered
07 Avie Limited
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I went to two professional installers today and the both told be the same thing. Don't mess with the JBL system. They would not recommend removing the tape player and trying to put in any other input device... the radio may stop functioning. Back in the day, when JBL was in Fords, I guess there wasn't alot of information available for them and they would give installers fits. One installer told me he wouldn't touch it. :disappoin

Looks like I'm gonna for for the combination headrest monitor/DVD player that can feed the radio through FM transmitter. Something like this would run about $1500 installed, well within my budget. I'm looking at Audiovox and Savv monitors.

As far as the Sirius, if I decide to get it I'll get the direct input into the the JBL radio. As for possible bluetooth and IPOD... I'm gonna look at the many different kits you can by. Probably get a kit that goes into the cassette player.

·
'07 Avalon Limited
'07 Avalon Ltd
1,093 Posts
Interesting. I'm pretty happy with the JBL system. It rocks when I want it to and provides me with lots of joyous musical moments (Stevie Ray Vaughan, Paul Oakenfeld, the soundtrack from "Blade").

If there's a way to get the sound from the DVD player into the head unit without going the FM modulator route - go that way instead. You'll really be disappointed in the FM sound quality. I tried that with two different modulators trying to make use of my Ipod. Both sucked.

I'm running the Peripheral Electronics "Ipod2Car" interface. It allows for steering wheels controls, displays scrolling text on the Nav scrreen and excellent CD-quality sound. Something tells me that you'd be oh-so disappointed if you went with the FM modulator for anything!

·
Registered
07 Avie Limited
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your opinion Tom... I appreciate it. It looks like right now I'm just gonna wait. I like the JBL alot and don't want to mess with it. The options I've looked at so far... I'm not sure I'd be totally happy with. Rather than settle, I'm gonna just take my time and find what's right. No need to rush.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Tom in Tacoma said:
Interesting. I'm pretty happy with the JBL system. It rocks when I want it to and provides me with lots of joyous musical moments (Stevie Ray Vaughan, Paul Oakenfeld, the soundtrack from "Blade").

If there's a way to get the sound from the DVD player into the head unit without going the FM modulator route - go that way instead. You'll really be disappointed in the FM sound quality. I tried that with two different modulators trying to make use of my Ipod. Both sucked.

I'm running the Peripheral Electronics "Ipod2Car" interface. It allows for steering wheels controls, displays scrolling text on the Nav scrreen and excellent CD-quality sound. Something tells me that you'd be oh-so disappointed if you went with the FM modulator for anything!
You're ipod gizmo, does that work on NON-nav units with the sat radio?

·
'07 Avalon Limited
'07 Avalon Ltd
1,093 Posts
I believe they have a version for the non-Nav units. You'll have to visit their website.

·
Registered
2006 Toyota Avalon
14 Posts
The ipod2car unit DOES work in non-nav units using the Sat-radio interface. I installed it in my 2006 Avalon Touring model. It neatly uses the upper third of the display (just like the other audio functions).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts