Toyota Nation Forum banner

2007 Highlander--Transmission flush?

13K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  teppista881 
#1 ·
Hello all, I have a 2007 Highlander Limited AWD with 60,000 miles on it. Does this model require a transmission flush (at the dealer) or is this something I can do myself i.e., drain and refill? Does anyone know if this model has a transmission filter that can be changed? I had a Honda Accord and it had a non-serviceable transmission filter which is why I ask. Please advise and thanks for your help.:chug:

#2 ·
Lots of posts on Flush vs drain and refill on the board. Drain and re-fill is the perfered method so you don't dislodge something bad inside. You can drop the pan and replace the filter in the transmission in these SUV's

Reactions: LSH
#3 ·
Lots of posts on Flush vs drain and refill on the board. Drain and re-fill is the perfered method so you don't dislodge something bad inside. You can drop the pan and replace the filter in the transmission in these SUV's
Thanks. Do you know how frequently the transmission fluid should be drained and refilled? Also, should I drain, refill, then drive a day or so, and repeat a couple different times to totally refresh the fluid in torque converter etc.?:chug:

#4 ·
Every 30k

Th whole point is not to SHOCK the transmission with freash fluid all of a suppen. Evey 30k drain and refill with four or so Qts of Toyota ATF. Then drive 30k and repeat. could drop the pan and replace the filter every other if desired.:cool:

#5 ·
my two bits

I could live with shortlid's recommendation. What they call a "fluid exchange" I feel is another option. IF the fluid exchange is NOT a "flush", then it will replace all of the fluid without stirring up things you don't want stirred up. It's theoretically better because you're getting all the fluid replaced, but ONLY if it's not a "flush".

#6 ·
Thanks for the info guys. After going home last night and looking my wifes highlander, I am a bit perplexed though. I could not find a transmission dip stick anywhere. Then I looked through the owners manual and it mentioned to only change the transmission fluid when necessary. What the heck? I would feel more comfortable changing it periodically because I don't think it is possible to have a fluid that won't break down or get contaminated with metal shavings etc in a transmission. Seems like a ploy by Toyota to sell new transmissions or new vehicles to me when transmissions go out due to not being serviced:lol: Any thoughts on changing or not changing?

So, my question now is, if there is no dipstick, how in the world would I put fluid back into the vehicle if I were to drain it? I think I already know the answer (take to dealer to have it done) but I wanted to check to get input on the forum first. Thanks:chug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.