Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 Highlander Hybrid w/ 150,000 miles. Car runs like new and we plan to keep it awhile, but Two things on ride: 1) Loud Road Noise 2) Not a smooth/comfortable ride anymore. For #1, I think I'm stuck with loud road noise on this suv. I tried to spray some undercoating in wheel wells, but helped very little. Of course new tires do help but still lots of noise as it must be the design. Not sure there is a remedy?

For #2, my wife drives the car mostly so I thought about going to local mechanic and having all new struts & coils (package) put on? My guess is it will all be under $1000 which is worth the cost....IF it will make any difference in ride? We want the suv to drive smooth like when it was new. Thoughts? Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
4 Posts
First of all I will say it is always cheaper to fix an old car than buying a new one but you will never get a new car ride by just replacing the struts/ coils (package) as they are just part of the whole suspension system! Beyond that you have front control arms (two pieces), rear control arms (6 pieces), front sway bar linkages (two pieces) and rear sway bar linkages (two pieces), plus all engine and transmission mounts and all ball joints, ...etc. They are all 150k miles old! It is almost impossible to replace them all at an reasonable cost especially if you go OEM. If you really want to get a better ride out of this 150k heavy SUV, be prepared to replace all front and rear control arms, front and rear struts and coils, and front and rear link assemblies, maybe a few engine or transmission mounts, which would easily cost you around $3000.

·
Registered
2007 HiHy Limited
13 Posts
Replaced struts all around on my 2007 at about 135k miles for about $1800. Did improve the ride, probably not like brand new (I bought it used w 47k miles). I get compliments on how nice of a ride it has, and don't feel like I have a problem with road noise. Maybe related, I've been a big fan of Michelen Defender tires on this vehicle.

·
6,658 Posts
For reduced road noise, you need touring tires with soft wall.
I have replaced countless struts and it NEVER results in NEW car ride. Too late. Best success I had was with Monroe Quick Strut after about 2 months of driving on them. They softened some and ride became soft and cushy, just as I like it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts