Toyota Nation Forum banner

2007 Rav 4 2AZ - hard to start

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  RTexasF 
#1 ·
Hi All,

After some help please.

I recently bought a 2007 Rav 4 (2AZ motor), car is going great other than it is hard to start after being left for more than half an hour or so.

Symptoms are: need to crank over for 4-7 seconds and then starts with a bit of a splutter. If the car is cold it will sometimes rev for a 10-20 seconds at 2000rpm. If I shut down the car and start it straight away again it fires instantly - hot or cold.

It 'feels' like a fuel starvation thing - need to crank to get fuel to injectors but have done the following.

1. using the techstream software operated the fuel pump for a few seconds prior to starting, didn't help
2. replaced fuel filter and four o-rings in the fuel system in the tank (thought there might be a leak allowing fuel to run back when pump is off)
3. replaced the battery
4. cleaned the injectors
5. cleaned and then replaced the MAF sensor
6. replaced air filter
7. removed and cleaned the throttle body
8. replaced spark plugs
9. using techstream looked at diagnostics - no errors and things like misfire, accelerator position, O2 sensor values seem fine (not an expert but within ranges I have seen on other cars)
10. cursed the car repeatedly.....

Other than hard to start - car runs fine, fuel economy is Ok - less than 10l/100km (better than 23MPG) in city driving, no hesitation on acceleration or issues with high revs.

After any help please.

Regards Scott

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.