Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently was lucky enough to purchase my 3rd Solara with less than 50k miles.... invested in new top navy blue, tan leather interior and white blizzard pearl interior.
upgraded dash with burl wood accent pieces, and general ma, replaced struts front and rear, disc brakes.... but the one item that took me forever to do due to extensive research was to add a backup reverse camera.....I tested 2 versions on my car..... based upon a DIY by Solara guy and a few others.... basically buy a bec105 6volt camera (EBAY) and hard wired into pins 24,23,22 and 21 in R10 connector in rear of my factory head unit, JBL with nav. Worked very well but alas, I really wanted a better camera with the various parking guidelines..... and after extensive more research i found a interface cable part# 872915 from car-solutions.com that is a direct plug and play for my jbl with nav factory radio for my 2007 solara, no cutting and splicing wires etc.... works with 6 volt and or 12 volt applications...
SOLARA INTERFACE CABLE FOR BACKUP CAMERA.... link Camera Connection Cable for Toyota MFD GEN5/GEN6 DVD Navi Monitors - Car Solutions
Car solutions has many adapter cables to fit your needs, Co is out of Australia and China, I used Fed Ex for 20.00 and the interface cable was $15.00, got it in 3 days. Install time was 3 hours.
hope this helps some other Solara owner looking to add some rear visibility

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That will work... germeslab in amazon and or you can order the cable from car-solutions.com... i posted how i did it to my 2007 solara with radio E7009

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
for a gen 4, check the model number of the radio, doe sit have Nav? and or JBL amp included as some of the radios have a 4 pin connector you would have to use, beatsonic has a bc5 cabe 4 pin connector to rca connector. try their website to confirm fit ment. you could also ck car-solutions.com as well

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently was lucky enough to purchase my 3rd Solara with less than 50k miles.... invested in new top navy blue, tan leather interior and white blizzard pearl interior.
upgraded dash with burl wood accent pieces, and general ma, replaced struts front and rear, disc brakes.... but the one item that took me forever to do due to extensive research was to add a backup reverse camera.....I tested 2 versions on my car..... based upon a DIY by Solara guy and a few others.... basically buy a bec105 6volt camera (EBAY) and hard wired into pins 24,23,22 and 21 in R10 connector in rear of my factory head unit, JBL with nav. Worked very well but alas, I really wanted a better camera with the various parking guidelines..... and after extensive more research i found a interface cable part# 872915 from car-solutions.com that is a direct plug and play for my jbl with nav factory radio for my 2007 solara, no cutting and splicing wires etc.... works with 6 volt and or 12 volt applications...
SOLARA INTERFACE CABLE FOR BACKUP CAMERA.... link Camera Connection Cable for Toyota MFD GEN5/GEN6 DVD Navi Monitors - Car Solutions
Car solutions has many adapter cables to fit your needs, Co is out of Australia and China, I used Fed Ex for 20.00 and the interface cable was $15.00, got it in 3 days. Install time was 3 hours.
hope this helps some other Solara owner looking to add some rear visibility
Kevin, We found a very low milage 1 owner 07 SLE with only 23k miles a year and a half ago. It is loaded with everything but 1 component needed for xm reception. It does have the same radio with nav that you have, the E7009. I have tried 2 different back-up cameras and I am still not satisfied with the picture quality. I am very interested in the solution you have done. I will probably buy the same cable interface from car solutions. I have searched for the bec105 camera and apparently it is discontinued. Did your research turn up any other high quality cameras that could be.used? I am also concerned about trying to remove the radio from the center console because of the problem with the Solara dash cracking history. Did you have any problem with that? Our dash panel is still perfect right now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kevin, We found a very low milage 1 owner 07 SLE with only 23k miles a year and a half ago. It is loaded with everything but 1 component needed for xm reception. It does have the same radio with nav that you have, the E7009. I have tried 2 different back-up cameras and I am still not satisfied with the picture quality. I am very interested in the solution you have done. I will probably buy the same cable interface from car solutions. I have searched for the bec105 camera and apparently it is discontinued. Did your research turn up any other high quality cameras that could be.used? I am also concerned about trying to remove the radio from the center console because of the problem with the Solara dash cracking history. Did you have any problem with that? Our dash panel is still perfect right now.
I didnt have any issues removing the center gauge cluster above the radio, no cracks or damage to my dash.. I used the plastic pry tools that i purchased from amazon and a small flat head screwdriver to intially remove that piece. I posted my pdf with steps to do that in a second post that you can refer to. the plastic piece that covers the shift gear box will need to be removed as well, it is held in with 4 clips. You do not need to remove the shift knob. you will need to leave opne the center console arm rest box in order to remove the console plastic piece. you will then need to remove the center stack glove box below the heat ac controls. that is held in by 4 clips as well. make sure that you move the gear selector to "D" drive so that it is not in your way. You will need to maneuver that console box around in order to get it out, make sure that you leave the lid open as this will help you in removing it. on the rear of that plstic box, there are 2 connectors, one with 3mmm jack there is a clip to push on in order to release it from the rear of that box, the acc plug just pulls off. once that is out of the way there are 4 hex bolts that hold the radio in, 2 on top and 2 on bottom. the radio is held in by 4 clips as well. if the radio has never been removed it will be a tight fit to remove it, it takes some juggling. once out. you would follow the directions from car-solutions to add the pre made jumper cables in their kit. I used and tested 2 camera's.. the bec 105, 106 you can only get on EBAY from japan. I also replaced those with this camera...YANEES Backup Camera Night Vision - HD Car Rear View Camera - Parking GuideLines ON Off - Wide View Angel - Waterproof Reverse Auto Back Up Car Backing Camera - High Definition - Fits All Vehicles and in my other toyota i used this camera from crutchfield....
Jensen BUCAM300AJ
Backup camera with microphone

Item #: 110BCAM300
if you want a licence plate style unit see
Boyo VTL17ir
Universal backup cam with night vision

Item #: 707VTL17IR
its just a matter of preference...... here is my backup camera working in my solara
I posted a pdf with removal instructions in prior post if u need it, i used my pry tools, plastic for removing various trim pieces in my solara from amazon, crutchfield has them as well... i did not crack or damage my dash upon R&R of radio.... I used a 12v camera since the only place u can get a bec105 or 112 is from ebay from japan seller. so i have used these from
Boyo VTL17ir

and from amazon this is the current camera i am using...YANEES Backup Camera Night Vision - HD Car Rear View Camera - Parking GuideLines ON Off - Wide View Angel - Waterproof Reverse Auto Back Up Car Backing Camera - High Definition - Fits All Vehicles

i didnt want to spend more than 50.00, i also didnt want the license plate frame style camera, just my personal preference... this weekend replaceing the factory speakers in door from crutchfield... 89.00 for the pair with adaptor cables for plug and play... good luck with your project

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I didnt have any issues removing the center gauge cluster above the radio, no cracks or damage to my dash.. I used the plastic pry tools that i purchased from amazon and a small flat head screwdriver to intially remove that piece. I posted my pdf with steps to do that in a second post that you can refer to. the plastic piece that covers the shift gear box will need to be removed as well, it is held in with 4 clips. You do not need to remove the shift knob. you will need to leave opne the center console arm rest box in order to remove the console plastic piece. you will then need to remove the center stack glove box below the heat ac controls. that is held in by 4 clips as well. make sure that you move the gear selector to "D" drive so that it is not in your way. You will need to maneuver that console box around in order to get it out, make sure that you leave the lid open as this will help you in removing it. on the rear of that plstic box, there are 2 connectors, one with 3mmm jack there is a clip to push on in order to release it from the rear of that box, the acc plug just pulls off. once that is out of the way there are 4 hex bolts that hold the radio in, 2 on top and 2 on bottom. the radio is held in by 4 clips as well. if the radio has never been removed it will be a tight fit to remove it, it takes some juggling. once out. you would follow the directions from car-solutions to add the pre made jumper cables in their kit. I used and tested 2 camera's.. the bec 105, 106 you can only get on EBAY from japan. I also replaced those with this camera...YANEES Backup Camera Night Vision - HD Car Rear View Camera - Parking GuideLines ON Off - Wide View Angel - Waterproof Reverse Auto Back Up Car Backing Camera - High Definition - Fits All Vehicles and in my other toyota i used this camera from crutchfield....
Jensen BUCAM300AJ
Backup camera with microphone

Item #: 110BCAM300
if you want a licence plate style unit see
Boyo VTL17ir

its just a matter of preference...... here is my backup camera working in my solara

I posted a pdf with removal instructions in prior post if u need it, i used my pry tools, plastic for removing various trim pieces in my solara from amazon, crutchfield has them as well... i did not crack or damage my dash upon R&R of radio.... I used a 12v camera since the only place u can get a bec105 or 112 is from ebay from japan seller. so i have used these from
Boyo VTL17ir

and from amazon this is the current camera i am using...YANEES Backup Camera Night Vision - HD Car Rear View Camera - Parking GuideLines ON Off - Wide View Angel - Waterproof Reverse Auto Back Up Car Backing Camera - High Definition - Fits All Vehicles

i didnt want to spend more than 50.00, i also didnt want the license plate frame style camera, just my personal preference... this weekend replaceing the factory speakers in door from crutchfield... 89.00 for the pair with adaptor cables for plug and play... good luck with your project
Thanks for all the info Kevin, it will be a big help. A couple of other questions, I mentioned that our radio is XM capable, but is apparently missing 1 conponent required to actually recieving the signal. Does your car recieve XM? Also, I was trying to forsee any future problem with the possible failure of the rear camera. I thought it might be a good idea to use a short RCA cable from the back of the radio to somewhere under the dash, then plug the camera cable into that. Might prevent having to pull the dash apart again to plug a new camera in. ??? Tom

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My toyota radio is xm ready. It requires a module from toyota dealership. I have seen them priced anywhere from 89.00 to 139.00 plus installation. I'm eventually going to replace my factory radio with new aftermarket with car play. Xm and blue tooth and retain JBL amp by using a adaptor cable. Cruthfield will build the cables for 25.99 plus the cost of the new head unit.so it's all plug and play.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Audio Satellite Radio, Fit Kit - Toyota (PTS31-00051-AA) you need to see if your current head unit has this already installed. mine was under the passenger seat.
  • Requires separate fit kit to complete installation
  • Applicable only to vehicles that have:
    • JBL satellite ready radio (SAT button) or
    • 6CD Changer (Some Models)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good idea on the the the cable access under dash so u wouldn't have to go through the removal of most of radio etc

1 - 17 of 17 Posts