Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mostly a Grumpy Old Git
2007 Camry XLE
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. Fairly certain I have the sunroof drain problems as I have leaks in the back that drip from where the headliner meets the rear side panels, down onto the carpet strips at the rear seat curve just inside the back doors. I have searched and read many threads about this, but haven't come across some details that would help a great deal before I start in on the fix.

1) does the GEN6 (in my case MY2007) Camry have 2 or 4 sunroof drain hoses?
2) where are the drain points on the undercarriage?
3) what do the drain points look like from underneath - a pinched rubber nipple perhaps? And what color - black?
4) do the drain hoses connect to a barbed end fitting with, or without a clamp of some sort, up at the sunroof?
5 lastly, do any of the trim pieces one must remove in order to drop the headliner require special attention so as not to damage?

Many thanx in advance. And apologies if I missed these details in other threads.

Cheers.

·
Mostly a Grumpy Old Git
2007 Camry XLE
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome. That is a great start. Thank you so much.

Cheers
TSL

·
Registered
1 Posts
Notes on the gen 6 camry sunroof drains

I will post pics when I get a chance but Gen 6 Camry has 4 drains the front drain exits are only accessible by taking the plastic wiring harness mounts off that are behind the plastic kick panels off inside the car directly in front of the front doors. There plastic mounts have three tabs top, bottom, and rear that have to be depressed almost at once to get them out of the body. Reach into the cavity revealed and you will feel the hose. It terminates just below this cavity. The planned obsolescence here is the drain end pieces will eventually collect debris and block the water from exiting the tubing. just remove the end pieces they don't serve a useful purpose after the sunroof has been installed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 Camry sunroof drain right rear repair

I had water on the floor of the right rear passenger side and guessed that the source was the sunroof drain. It's possible for the water to run down practically unseen behind the headliner and the plastic trim between the seat and the door and then into the carpet. The fix was to reconnect the right rear drain line in the roof behind the headliner. The repair is easy to do yourself after you know where to find the connection. 1. Pull back the plastic trim on the pillar where it says SRS curtain airbag. There will be 2 fasteners to push back in. 2. Remove the handle on the right rear roof. Pull the handle down and then pry/pull off the 2 plastic inserts. The plastic parts work with 2 metal clips to reattach the handle. 3. Pull down the headliner until you can see the pink drain hose. 4. Reattach hose to the sunroof drain. It is located above the rear end of the handle in the roof. 5. Replace headliner, handle, and plastic trim.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Notes on the gen 6 camry sunroof drains

I will post pics when I get a chance but Gen 6 Camry has 4 drains the front drain exits are only accessible by taking the plastic wiring harness mounts off that are behind the plastic kick panels off inside the car directly in front of the front doors. There plastic mounts have three tabs top, bottom, and rear that have to be depressed almost at once to get them out of the body. Reach into the cavity revealed and you will feel the hose. It terminates just below this cavity. The planned obsolescence here is the drain end pieces will eventually collect debris and block the water from exiting the tubing. just remove the end pieces they don't serve a useful purpose after the sunroof has been installed.
Hey there - I'm new to the forum and didn't want to start a new thread since there are so many on this topic. I'm really hoping someone sees this post today and can offer some help. I'm into day 2 of wrestling with the front left drain on my 2007 Camry Sunroof. It's definitely plugged and there's standing water. I've tried snaking grass trimmer cord (2 kinds) and keep bottoming on the grommet or end cap.

I've located the underside front drains points and can see that there a grommet or cap there, but I haven't been able to find any info on how to deal with these. The front right drain drips clearly, but the left is definitely plugged hard.

The last part of this post caught my eye and is the first I've read about the "drain end piece" - so, how do I remove this? Does it twist off? Pry it off? Will I be able to clean it and put in back in?

Thanks - the forecast in Vancouver is basically 2 weeks of straight rain and having lived with a wet car all Winter last December/January - I really need to sort this out so I can start getting rid of the mildewy smell.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Per the image above, there should be no grommets or end attachments to the drain hoses for the front two. But there rear two have such grommets, and the right side is different than the left side. The left side is Toyota P/N 90480-30035. The right side is Toyota P/N 63669-50010. All four sunroof drain hoses use the same clamp at the top end. If you have technical questions about the bottom rear grommets, given there is so little information on the internet about them, you might want to order them from Toyota so you can see what they are - use them if you break yours, return them if you don't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Per the image above, there should be no grommets or end attachments to the drain hoses for the front two. But there rear two have such grommets, and the right side is different than the left side. The left side is Toyota P/N 90480-30035. The right side is Toyota P/N 63669-50010. All four sunroof drain hoses use the same clamp at the top end. If you have technical questions about the bottom rear grommets, given there is so little information on the internet about them, you might want to order them from Toyota so you can see what they are - use them if you break yours, return them if you don't.
this is amazing information and thank you! I am about 98% sure that there are grommets or fitting on the two front underside exit points. Both ends are a hard plastic or rubber with a small hole that grass trimmer cord barely fits into - we were rushed and not able to try and stiffer line to push through the hole, but when I poured water down the passenger front sunroof entry point water dripped from the same opening on that underside (behind front wheel)

I guess I’ll hit the dealer tomorrow and see if they stock that piece. Do you think I can just pry it off from the underside? Or doI need to access from the kick panel under the dash?

thanks

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Take a look at this site: https://www.drive2.ru/l/457445766496158492/

It's not in English, but I think the pictures should tell you what you need to know. If our drain hoses come out like this underneath, I would simply get your air compressor out and blow compressed air in the hose from the bottom - that should push anything that is clogging it out to the top. How you remove the plugging material at the top - well, I think you will figure that out.;

·
Registered
5 Posts
Take a look at this site: https://www.drive2.ru/l/457445766496158492/

It's not in English, but I think the pictures should tell you what you need to know. If our drain hoses come out like this underneath, I would simply get your air compressor out and blow compressed air in the hose from the bottom - that should push anything that is clogging it out to the top. How you remove the plugging material at the top - well, I think you will figure that out.;
More great info and details - thanks. from this link it looks like the drain hose just goes into the this fitting, but what I'm seeing in the front is different. Here is the passenger spots where the water dripped out of when I poured the water into the top drain hole:

the wet round spot on the left where I'm talking about. On the driver side - the side that is plugged, it looks like this:

the hole in the middle is about 1-2 mm. It's much smaller than the drain hole in the sun roof. I don't have a compressor and my canned air for computers isn't enough.

Am I crazy? This is the where the water is draining from, right?

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
I would recommend you talk to a mechanic at the Toyota dealership to have him show you where the front sunroof drain hoses come out at the bottom of the car. There is plenty of information on the internet for you to research. Many on 2007 Camry's have experienced the hose connections at the top (sunroof drain connections) have come apart, so the water draining the sunroof opening flows openly down your A-pillar. This may be what you have going on right now.

·
Official PITA
'05 Solara 'Vert & '07 ES350
1,289 Posts
When I had a wet & stained headliner, years ago, on a Mercury Sable, I just used a garden hose and cleaned (blew out) the drain lines with running water under moderate pressure.
Frankly can't imagine how the sunroof drain hoses could separate from the "pan" beneath the glass, where all the water collects. There should never be any torque or pressure on those hoses.
Air pressure should work too, either from the top, or the bottom; once hoses are draining even a little water, flushing them clean with water from garden hose will finish up the job. Good Luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.