Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the question is and I know this might sound stupid but how do you change the engine oil on the 2007 Tacoma? I guess Toyota doesn't realy want you to change your own oil because it doesn't show you where the drain plug is in the owners manual or if you have to remove anything first.:confused: I just traded in my 2003 Tundra and to change the oil on it, I had to remove the front skid plate first and the owners manual showed me where all the screws where. You see it cold outside and I just want to be ahead of the game before I crawl under to do my first one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm trying to figure out the same damn thing......I've already run into a few threads that talk about guys draining their tranny, thinking it was oil. I already slowly loosened the "obvious" plug to see what leaked out...it was RED...WTF. Is the factory oil red or somthing?....it came from the black oval shaped pan on the bottom of the tranny (near the very top by the motor). Someone help

·
Resident Ford Driver
Crown Victoria
14 Posts
can you see the oil pan under the engine?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oil PAN

telemaster1952 said:
can you see the oil pan under the engine?
No...or at least what looks like the oil pan is really bolted onto the top of the tranny housing. I found a video today on YOU-TUBE where a guy does an oil change for idiots on a new model tacoma. the plug that he says is the drain plug for the oil is exactly what I tried to take out las tnight and saw red fluid.....common sence told me its tranny fluid. Now mine is a manual the one in the U-Tube video was an auto....shouldn't matter i assume.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIwEoNrerHw

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
COACH DUNN said:
No...or at least what looks like the oil pan is really bolted onto the top of the tranny housing. I found a video today on YOU-TUBE where a guy does an oil change for idiots on a new model tacoma. the plug that he says is the drain plug for the oil is exactly what I tried to take out las tnight and saw red fluid.....common sence told me its tranny fluid. Now mine is a manual the one in the U-Tube video was an auto....shouldn't matter i assume.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIwEoNrerHw
Hey! That video was great. Thanks! Did my oil change and every thing went well. Didn't have to remove any panels or anything else. By the way two things: 1) My truck is a four cylinder and the oil filter is removed from the bottom. I had to do the screw driver thing too. Yuk! Right in my face with the first drops of oil. And 2) Unless I read my owners manual worng, it said or I needed 6.1 quarts with filter change but it really only took 5.5 quarts.:confused: I had to drain a half quart back out. And yes I did run the engine, in fact I put 100 miles on it and it still was above the top fill mark.

Anyway this is the first time I used any kind of forum and this one is a good thing. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey! That video was great. Thanks! Did my oil change and every thing went well. Didn't have to remove any panels or anything else. By the way two things: 1) My truck is a four cylinder and the oil filter is removed from the bottom. I had to do the screw driver thing too. Yuk! Right in my face with the first drops of oil. And 2) Unless I read my owners manual worng, it said or I needed 6.1 quarts with filter change but it really only took 5.5 quarts.:confused: I had to drain a half quart back out. And yes I did run the engine, in fact I put 100 miles on it and it still was above the top fill mark.

Anyway this is the first time I used any kind of forum and this one is a good thing. Thanks again.
First post here and I didn't want to start a new thread.

I always change my own oil but is it just me (2.7 05' Tocama) or are these dipsticks hard to read? I mean: I usually fill to 5.5 quarts but even today I filled back 5 quarts and there is oil at 2'' past the top full indent mark. Its always been like this and I'd like to know if others experience the same?

?

Thanks

Viken

1 - 6 of 6 Posts