Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I jumped started my 2007 Yaris as I think the battery is dead. After 5 to 10 minutes driving, started feeling to turn the wheel very hard. I was thinking that the steering wheel oil is less, but I cant find the reservoir to check or add fluid? Can anybody please help me. Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Celica. Since I keep on jump starting as the battery runs out and unable to start the engine, I suspect the issue is with the alternator. Alternator generates the electric for the steering wheel which is very hard turn now. Is any have experience or the same issues? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2002 Toyota ECHO
27 Posts
I would take the battery out and charge it with a proper battery charger (or just start with a new battery all together)

Start the car and test the alternator to make sure it’s putting out ~14 volts while running.

I would get all that squared away before beginning to diagnose the steering issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought a new battery and installed to my 2007 Yaris. After 4 days, today the battery was drained and unable to start the car. So we jump start in order to start to come home. Anybody what wrong or is it alternator problem? If alternator, is there a way to test? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2001 Camry
497 Posts
It does sound like it is an alternator problem. Hook up a voltmeter to the battery when the car is off. It should read ~11v (maybe less if your battery is already dead). When you turn the car on, the voltmeter should read ~14v if the alternator is charging correctly. If it's only charging at ~11v, you've found your problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does sound like it is an alternator problem. Hook up a voltmeter to the battery when the car is off. It should read ~11v (maybe less if your battery is already dead). When you turn the car on, the voltmeter should read ~14v if the alternator is charging correctly. If it's only charging at ~11v, you've found your problem.

Thanks. I have tested and the alternator is the issue. I got a replacement alternator but from Toyota Echo. Do you think this will work.

·
Registered
2001 Camry
497 Posts
Depends if it will fit. It might, I'm not sure. I would replace with a Denso remanufactured unit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts