Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I bought a 2007 XLE Camry V6 brand new back in February 2007 and it's always had transmission problems, which worsened over time. I took it to the local Toyota dealer on 5/28/2020 and the rep told me that it needed to be replaced a gave me the following quotes.
$8,000 new transmission
$4,700 used transmission with 100k miles

Can anyone suggest what I should do?
Thanks,
Rob

·
Super Moderator
2020 Prius Prime Limited
5,053 Posts
Welcome to the site rob.

Check eBay for 2007 - 2009 Camry's that are being parted out due to a rear collision. Ask your dealer to tell you the exact model of your trans and search for that. I got my used trans off eBay for around $600 and installed it myself. That was a few years ago, has been running excellent since. I have a thread on that in this site, where I pull and replace the trans. If you cannot do it yourself, get a local shop to do it. They will probably charge you around $2000 in labor would be my guess.

·
Camry Freak
Camry & Accord
2,677 Posts
$8,000 for a transmission replacement is completely unreasonable. Go to a trusted independent mechanic and as others have suggested, try finding a used transmission.

I generally think that taking any car to the dealership is a bad idea for anything other than warranty work- especially on a car that's thirteen years old. They charge such ridiculous prices and many times will pad the repair bill with unnecessary items. It would be interesting to see the line-item bill for that $8,000 quote. The retail price on a new transmission is right around $3,400. Does that mean that they were charging you $4,600 in labor or did they include a bunch of other stuff?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
8K for transmission change only, which includes transmission plus labor.

$8,000 for a transmission replacement is completely unreasonable. Go to a trusted independent mechanic and as others have suggested, try finding a used transmission.

I generally think that taking any car to the dealership is a bad idea for anything other than warranty work- especially on a car that's thirteen years old. They charge such ridiculous prices and many times will pad the repair bill with unnecessary items. It would be interesting to see the line-item bill for that $8,000 quote. The retail price on a new transmission is right around $3,400. Does that mean that they were charging you $4,600 in labor or did they include a bunch of other stuff?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the site rob.

Check eBay for 2007 - 2009 Camry's that are being parted out due to a rear collision. Ask your dealer to tell you the exact model of your trans and search for that. I got my used trans off eBay for around $600 and installed it myself. That was a few years ago, has been running excellent since. I have a thread on that in this site, where I pull and replace the trans. If you cannot do it yourself, get a local shop to do it. They will probably charge you around $2000 in labor would be my guess.
Hi @SFCamry , thanks for the advice. Would you mind pasting a link for the item you described above? I looked up transmissions for xle Camrys 2007 3.5L and it returned with a range of prices averaging around $1200.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
two years ago i bought an used low milage camry transmission from egay around $600 shipped, and two days of hard labor to get the job done.
your vehicle transmission is made by ASIN, model U151E, a 5 speed automatic transmission, it is being widely used by many toyota and lexus V6 engine, including avalon, rav4 v6 FWD, sienna FWD, camry v6,/lexus ES, highlander v6 FWD, lexus RX FWD, over last decade

use keyword search U151E on egay, and you will find plenty in $500 to $700 range shipped.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Prius Prime Limited
5,053 Posts
Hi @SFCamry , thanks for the advice. Would you mind pasting a link for the item you described above? I looked up transmissions for xle Camrys 2007 3.5L and it returned with a range of prices averaging around $1200.
I did not look up your trans as was not sure what it is - just a general note that you may find one being parted out on eBay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.