Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying the new Highlander Limited. Read terrible reviews on the Tires for the stock P245/55R19. Very little choices for quality replacement tires.

• Has anybody actually replaced these with 17 or 18 wheels?
  • Any changes in performance or turning?
  • Will the toyota replace them with the Base model wheel P245/65R17?
  • I want the TPMS sensor to work as well.
What would you recommend?

Thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I searched it on the forum. Folks have talked about 17 and 18 wheel replacements.

I want to know if anybody has actually done it. Including the TPMS sensor working properly.

·
4,180 Posts
Answers

I'm thinking about buying the new Highlander Limited. Read terrible reviews on the Tires for the stock P245/55R19. Very little choices for quality replacement tires.

Thank you
1. Yes
2. Keep overall diameter the same (use Miata Tire Calculator) and you won't
3. No
4. Switch sensors or buy new ones and they will work

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will the dealer switch out the 19 for the Base 17? I wonder if they would give you a credit for the smaller wheels?

·
Registered
19 Posts

Thank you
I have the 09 HH Ltd. I put snows on 17 inch rims as my winter set. Had to be very careful that the rims had enough clearance for the front calipers - some 17 inch wheels barely had enough to squeeze a business card between the caliper and the rim - not sure if the non hybrid has the same size brakes - but make sure you're working with a shop that will check this and have enough selection that you can find a wheel that fits. If these were going to be my only wheels, I would have gone with an 18 inch rim, but for snows I thought 17 inch was better and they have worked great. I don't have any complaints about the factory tires (yet) but have only driven on them a few hundred kms, since I put the snows on almost right away. If they're really bad, I'll probably wait until they wear out, and then replace them with an 18 inch set (unless the selection for 19 inch tires improves).

For my winter rims, I found 4 TPMS sensors off of Craig's list for Cdn $150 which I snapped up and had installed. They work fine, although with my model it appears I will have to have the ECU reset or reprogrammed by the dealer every time I switch wheels (posted this in another thread).

·
Registered
166 Posts
Why not put a set of Venza wheels on. Size is 245/50R20 and the one I saw had Michelin Latitude tires which are supposed to be really good.

I'm sure as more are sold some take-offs will become available.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts