Toyota Nation Forum banner

2008-2010 air suspension

14800 Views 9 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  GuardianAngelos
New to the forum. New to Toyota. Looking to buy my first Toyota and I would like a Sequoia. I want an '08, '09, or a '10 because they are cheaper, and usually run forever.

I enjoy a nice air suspension ride, like in my wife's LR4, and would like the same experience in my Sequoia. However, since I am already going into an older vehicle, I am concerned with the reliability of the air suspension system as the vehicle ages. My only experience with air suspension is in European brands, and their systems always seem to fail 5-8 years since being new.

If I purchase a 2008-2010 Platinum with the air suspension system, should I expect to have to replace the system soon, being that the vehicle is already at least 8 years old?

I know Toyotas are very reliable, but am curious if this system is also that reliable and will last 250,000-300,000 miles. Since the system is made up of rubber bags that inflate and deflate, hoses, a compressor, etc. these parts naturally wear out in time. Have any of you Sequoia owners with these year models experience many problems now that your vehicles are older?

Thanks in advance for the help.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Hi there, I've got a 2010 Platinum with the air suspension. I use my raise and lower every time I pull into or out of my garage (twice a week usually). It has performed exceptionally well with no glitches for 2 years of summers and winters with 150k miles. It has also blown me away with the tow capacity as I've towed twice with a 9,900lb camper and not had any issues it actually levels the vehicle remarkable well at 5,000lb trailer and was almost enough with the 9,000 but still really needed the weight distribution hitch before it felt safe to haul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,858 Posts
The air suspension on my 2004 built 2005 Limited is still working just fine 13 years later. I would agree I'm on borrowed time though.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hardtopte72, thanks for your reply.

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE PRICE TO REPLACE A 2008-2010 SEQUOIA AIR SUSPENSION?

If I buy one of these, I would like to go into the purchase knowing the possible repair cost of the air suspension system.

· Registered
42 Posts
I'm not trying to be a jerk but what part of the system do you want to know for repair costs?
Airbags, compressor, controller module for the dash, and/or the lines for the system? Unfortunately I couldn't find a single part number for the whole system but did locate part number for individual components. Just try not to submerge the compressor while starting the car or adjusting ride hight or hitching it to load as it could suck in water and water won't compress so it'll break the cylinder, piston, piston arm, or the motor. As for the airbags mine are 150k miles and adjust up and down like new and the leveling feature is still great anytime I hook up. I've heard the hight adjustment sensors can burn out after 5 or so years but they're just $60 a pop on each side of the truck.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GuardianAngelos, I should have been more specific. I am curious of the price of the repairs to the air suspension system, if anyone has had to repair it. I framed my question to include a total replace of the whole system and components, then I would have a "worst case scenerio" number.

It sounds like my questions and concerns for this system seem too worrisome to long time Toyota owners, as no one seems to have problems with the air suspension system, or their vehicles in general. I'm coming from the Mercedes-Benz/Land Rover world where these questions would be more normal. The lack of information, or responses to my questions hopefully means that I am ignorant to Toyotas, and that these vehicles, and their components, just do not break.

I need to grasp the fact that maybe owning a Sequoia really is as good as it sounds. :)

· Registered
42 Posts
Coming from Mercedes/Land Rover world you will be very pleasantly surprised with the reliability of these trucks. The airbags are exceptionally durable (surprised even me) and the electronics have been rock solid for 8 years on my sequoia. Each vehicle does have quirks though. The brakes for the older model 2008-12 Sequoia had a tendency to overheat if towing a load and going downhill constantly (like descending the Rockies). This issue wasn't noticeable when the family took a trip out west but I did notice the brakes seemed to get quiet hot compared to our older 2005 Sequoia. Last year we sprang for the TRD Big Brake Kit and have been totally convinced it was a good purchase when towing a trailer without brakes. Also make sure to get a model with the tow package if you will ever tow that transmission intercooler has kept the tranny cool on ever trip without fail.

Exhibit A: Brake check last July with the TRD Big Brake Kit equipped. We were rolling 40-ish the camera has a fish eye lens so it was a good deal closer than it looks when we got cutoff. Brought the 6,000lb Platinum to dead stop in 1.5 car lengths.

· Registered
42 Posts
Thanks, just road rage in Kansas City I think it was either an insurance scam or I just didn't back off of him quick enough either way I filed a report with the KC police and handed them the video. They were nice but let me know unless he actually damaged anything they weren't going to pursue him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.