Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that I need to replace timing chain and all the trimmings.. lol.. is it worth it to replace .. or better to get used motor.. or wash my hands of this nightmare!!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
It jumped.. over retarded..I think it’s causing low oil pressure.. i here rattling ., oil light flickering.. oil is full.. changed sensor., changed oil pump.. thoughts?
Sounds more like the bottom end is shot. Bad timing chain isn't going to cause low oil pressure. Did the engine run low on oil and get driven on? The 2az is known to be an oil guzzler, hence Toyota's engine replacement effort from 02-09. Seen one 2az that tossed a rod through the block behind the exhaust manifold. Probably a good time to start looking for a used motor.

·
Registered
2013 Camry XLE
1,990 Posts
Q
It jumped.. over retarded..I think it’s causing low oil pressure.. i here rattling ., oil light flickering.. oil is full.. changed sensor., changed oil pump.. thoughts?
Quit thinking. The timing chain has nothing to do with oiled pressure. Get that diagnosed. Might be just a worn out sending unit. But quit guessing and get it properly diagnosed before jumping to wrong and expensive conclusions.
P.S. in most cases it’s cheaper to jus buy and replace the oil pressure sending unit and replace it than getting it tested.

·
Registered
235 Posts
@Drock1230, maybe we should start over here. What is the symptoms of what you're trying to fix? Some of these things aren't really related to each other.

Are you sure the timing chain jumped? If so, there's likely some broken or worn components and then yes they should be replaced. I've worked on my 3 Camrys and in each (one with 180K and the other 2 with over 200K miles) the timing components looked good and weren't replaced. If the chain jumped it would run poorly if at all.

You mentioned replacing the oil pump. Have you put a manual guage on the oil system to measure the exact oil pressure of the engine?

·
Registered
2013 Camry XLE
1,990 Posts
You mentioned replacing the oil pump. Have you put a manual guage on the oil system to measure the exact oil pressure of the engine?
I'd be willing to bet the oil pressure has not been checked with an actual gauge. The OP is just guessing. based on the post that mentions where he thinks the oil pressure is dependent on the timing chain jumping or not. He also needs to pull the valve cover to check the oil drain holes. If clogged that could cause intermittent oil starvation, thus the flickering light.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'd be willing to bet the oil pressure has not been checked with an actual gauge. The OP is just guessing. based on the post that mentions where he thinks the oil pressure is dependent on the timing chain jumping or not. He also needs to pull the valve cover to check the oil drain holes. If clogged that could cause intermittent oil starvation, thus the flickering light.
Yep, hence why I suggested we start over. Lots of assumptions and little detail of what's going on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So for starters.. I have p0012 code.. I also have a flickering oil light.. when I hit the gas I can here rattling and the engine like whining with not so much power.. oil is full.. I’ve pull the oil pan and cleaned out the pick up screen.. oil sending unit is new.. camshaft sensor is new.. VAriable timing sensor is new.. what’s my next move please and thank u!!

·
Registered
2013 Camry XLE
1,990 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
The VVT system is controlled by oil pressure so if there is a problems with oil pressure the timing may be off. A malfunctioning VVT solenoid may also cause a rattling noise in the engine. I wouldn't discount what others have said about the 2AZ's oil drinking problem. Although it's full now the damage may have already been done by a low oil level in the past.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So come to find out when they put the vvt solenoid in they snap the 10mm bolt while screwing it in.. so its in there but it’s not screwed down tight.. so is it possible that it’s moving around or spinning and not doing what it suppose to.. or is it ok that it just sits in there?

·
Registered
2013 Camry XLE
1,990 Posts
So come to find out when they put the vvt solenoid in they snap the 10mm bolt while screwing it in.. so its in there but it’s not screwed down tight.. so is it possible that it’s moving around or spinning and not doing what it suppose to.. or is it ok that it just sits in there?
Really? What do you think? If it was OK for it to ”just sit in there”do you think the engineers would bother to bolt it in? The fact of it not being bolted down may be the cause of your code.

·
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM
1,543 Posts
On top of what other posters have mentioned the 2AZ-FE have the oil consumption issue with faulty pistons, rings and valve seals. The holes in the pistons and the rings get clogged causing the engine to burn oil, have you ever experienced any oil consumption issues or have had to replace the pistons, rings and valve seals ??
Glenn

·
Registered
126 Posts
Does that engine have a vvt screen filter?
Pull the vvt solenoid out and you'll see if the screen is there or not. Have seen one collapsed screen on a Nissan VVt solenoid that hung the valve open but it's not gonna be your main issue. Oil pressure pushes your timing chain tensioner to keep the chain tight. With low/no oil pressure, the tensioner backs off, letting your chain slack n slap, affecting the timing and could let the chain jump. At this point, you really should get an oil pressure test done. There are plenty of cheap kits out there that can do it. Fishing gets expensive in a hurry. Been there, done it. Vvt screen/filter isn't going to kill your oil pressure. Harbor Freight has an oil pressure tester kit for $30. Snap On already has my $400 for it ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts