Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This is my first post here. I've read this forum for a few months, but now that I have a question, I thought I'd make an account and give it a go. Thanks in advance!

Anyway, we recently bought a 2008 Camry LE (Automatic), and from the beginning I've notice something that is nothing more then an annoyance, but I am starting to not get that impression. The problem is that at a stop, in any drive gear, I have a vibration from the engine. Engine is warmed up and everything. Shift into neutral, it goes away immediately (like I can feel it dissipate as it disengages the gear). No vibrations while driving, only at a stop. Tach reads about 650-700ish, and goes up to sometimes 8 in neutral. We also have a OBD II reader, and no codes are being thrown, no lights on the dash indicating any warnings either.

Now I have just put 2000 miles on it yesterday from when we bought it, and it has a little over 40k on the odometer. My worry is that there is a possible issue with the torque converter or transmission. Anyone aware of any issues with the torque converter that might cause this? Or is there something else that might cause this? If there is an issue that can prove something is faulty, the dealer we bought it from has a warranty that covers almost everything besides oil and filters and whatnot, so hopefully there should be no problem. Like I said though, it is an annoyance, and I do not want this to escalate to something worse.

Thanks,
Tom H

·
8,516 Posts
Welcome to the Nation tjh876:hi:

I have an 09 LE i-4 automatic. My car has 108k miles on it and does the same thing. It was not as pronounced on mine at 40k miles as it is now. I think it is all an engine characteristic not a transmission trouble. I will be changing the spark plugs at the recommended 120k miles and see if that helps it some. Again it is not much doesn't really bother me obviously I think it is just how these Toyota's are, they have different mechanisms than any car I have had what with the vvti stuff and all.

Short answer is I wouldn't sweat it too much, some is normal. You are not talking like it would shake you coffee out of the cup are you?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, and it's nothing crazy, the bolts aren't coming off left and right. It is just an annoying vibration that sometimes is not there, sometimes is there in full force. Not to a point were coffee is spilling, but to a point were it is noticeable. It seems though like it is something that is not with the engine, but with the drive train. I know these engines are a little different with the VVT-i and all, but I think it is separate of the engine itself. Putting it to Neutral makes it go away, and I watch the revs not change at all for a second but the vibration goes away, before a slight rise in the revs. So I cannot see how that is happening unless the VVT-i is adjusting for it? It might just be the car, I have nothing to compare it to, but it seems like something that is a bit abnormal. Thanks for your input though, and I think it is nothing serious, but it seems unusual.

Thanks,
Tom H

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
I had a slight vibration in drive in my 07 2.4 that started around 60,000 miles. it was more pronounced with more electrical load on the engine. Cleaning the throttle body cured the vibration.

Mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Again, I do not think it is the engine that is the origin of the vibration, it is something in the drive train. If I am at a light, with the vibration, and shift in the neutral, I can feel it shift out of 1st, and watching the revs, they stay steady for a second, before rising slightly. The vibration stops before the revs rise though. Unless the VVT-i is adjusting that quick, and can adjust the timing without changing the rpm, I would think it is something from the transmission onwards.

Is this just something this drive train does? That was my real question, I just want to see if this is something I should pursue as a possible issue. I cannot see a car producing some of the vibrations I feel is normal, and I know it is not the engine.

Thanks,
Tom H.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I think that MikeG hit the nail on the head.
And, you DON'T know that it isn't the engine.

Its the normal load on the engine from the ATF in the torque converter. Stir your coffee with a spoon at 700rpm to understand. Everything else mentioned is a given as a form of reduction of the NORMAL harmonics of a drivetrain. Change the ATF, clean the throttle body, change the air filter, check the oil level, clean the fuel injectors..... are easy places to start. Either do something or quit complaining.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts