Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

First time poster here :)

The issue is, when my wife's 2008 Camry LE (4 cylinder) is under acceleration, it makes a rattling noise. It doesn't make the rattling noise while idling and it doesn't make the noise if I rev the motor in neutral.

It's made this rattling noise for a little over a year. Car runs fine otherwise..I'm the original owner, did all the oil changes on time, etc.

Turn up the volume on the video to hear it.

Greatly appreciate any ideas/help you can think of.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Silver. Were you able to hear the sound in the video I posted? Did it sound like yours before you did the resonator swap? I'm having a tough time figuring out if it's coming from the engine or from the resonator.

·
Registered
2009 Toyota Camry
6 Posts
Honestly, your video is too short and there is too much engine/wind noise to make a decent diagnosis. The resonator is a known failure point in our cars according to lots of online sources. It cost me 80 bucks at a local muffler shop and took 15 minutes to cut out the old one and weld in a new pipe. Mine made a loud vibrating noise between 2300-2600 rpm under load, and would hardly make any noise if I was in neutral and revved it to 2300-2600. It also wouldn't make any noise when I accelerated really hard or really soft. It was under normal acceleration, and only in the rpm range I listed.

The mechanic had it up on the lift and started banging gently(with a rubber mallet) on the exhaust system starting from the motor and working his way back to the muffler. He got to the resonator and you could hear a really faint rattle when he hit it. He cut it off and showed me the inside of the resonator and you could see where the seam had rusted and split. For some reason, when the motor was under load in a certain rpm range, the loose inside piece acted like a kazoo and made noise.

Good luck in finding your problem, let us know what happens.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.