Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, first time here. Nice to meet you all! Hoping for some direction since every effort to google security system on the camry is coming up with very little. Partly, I do not know the exact terminology of the systems. If it was a computer, I'd have an idea on what to search.

My 2008 Camry XLE(No after market systems) has locked out my dad several times now when he's parked and left the vehicle. We replaced his keyless remote dongle battery with a new one just in case. The light that blinks a red key on the dash to indicate the key is nearby turns solid red. I've yet to be the one locked out, but can't imagine what he'd do to lock it out as he's mechanically and electronically savvy. Can't reproduce the problem..

The only way we can get it to unlock the inhibitor is to jump the car battery. The dealer claims that we should only have to walk away from the vehicle out of range of the remote and back into range for the inhibitor to "untrip". I don't believe them because we replaced the car battery one time and it tripped the system and we had to get a jump even then to unlock it.

The dealer wants 115 an hour to just look at the electronics or run a diagnostic and that is a no go. They won't provide any answers except,"don't know until they look at it."

Any advice is appreciated, most importantly I need the name of the 2008 Camry user manual as maybe answers can be found within.

I just need a pointer in the right direction to solve this issue.

Thank you ladies and gentleman for your time reading this.

(Crazy thought, is it possible someone has tried to break into the car several times lately? Unfortunately, there is no evidence of entry attempts.)

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
As a backup there should be a gray colored "valet key" that came with the 2 black keys for the car. Have your dad hold on to that key as an emergency backup. It should allow him to enter the car and start it, if his regular key locks him out again.

Mike

·
Registered
49 Posts
Any codes?? Possible the immobilizer edu is failing. Next time the car won't start check your voltage at the post in the fuse box. You don't have any coating sprayed on your batter terminals do you? So many possibilities.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As a backup there should be a gray colored "valet key" that came with the 2 black keys for the car. Have your dad hold on to that key as an emergency backup. It should allow him to enter the car and start it, if his regular key locks him out again.

There is only two remote FOB's no valet key.

Mike
The keys are the FOB: https://ikeyless.com/vehicles/Toyota/Camry/2008/1000489/?gclid=CjwKEAiA-5-kBRDylPG5096R8mASJABqEdm4a9mLKzqUsAE5hL78zNfrPdl3On91FB4oUs-MseMQxxoC0WPw_wcB

A youtube video with the exact system of my vehicle also shows the key light being solid like we have had: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_G2JLExCTQ

Everything I can find won't elucidate the security system, just constantly advises contacting the dealer.

The greatest issue is that is absolutely no other means to start the vehicle except by the keyless FOB. Not even a key hole(that I can find information on) for the fobs micro key for the door lock and trunk.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any codes?? Possible the immobilizer edu is failing. Next time the car won't start check your voltage at the post in the fuse box. You don't have any coating sprayed on your batter terminals do you? So many possibilities.
I don't know about codes mate and don't know what an EDU is in relation to the immobilizer. Do you know what voltage I should see at the fuse box post?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts