Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Where are we going today?
Camry 00/Corolla 19
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 camry LE 4 cyl.

Been having issues starting and it is a hit or miss thing. Just rode back in a AAA truck :(

The battery is new and I took it to autozone this morning and they said, Batt, alternator and starter is good after they hooked up their hand help diagnosis machine.

Symptoms: Driving it and if you run into the gas station, it will not start up.
The engine will turn, and people tried to help is saying fuel issue... From fuel pump, fuel line to fuel filter.

I do not want to get ahead of myself.

Any idea?

If it is the fuel system, I think tacking the fuel filter makes most sense. Anybody done it here with instructions?
I have done it for a 93 and 2000 camry.

TIA

·
Registered
45 Posts
It wouldn`t be the fuel pump, unless the tube is partially plugged, only then would it
be a hit & miss. If bad fuel pump, I don`t think it would start at all~
~Judy in MI~

·
8,436 Posts
My wifes 2001 Malibu did the same thing to me at a gas station. I switched out a couple relay's under the hood (same exact ones) and it started. It turned out to be a bad fuel pump relay, like 10 bucks. I hope that is what it is for ya:)

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
The fuel pump and filter are inside the tank and requires surgery. If it runs perfectly fine when cold and when on the highway, I would doubt it is the pump. You need to check the fuel pressure though and that means a trip to your trusted Toyota mechanic or dealer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It may be the fuel pump relay, but that would mean maybe only won`t start when it gets hot? (the relay). Not sure, but have to know >> does it do it only after driving so long, or short trips? I do know a little about relays, and if they get hot, they will
not work and once cooled down, will work again. But still feel it is fuel filter. Or maybe even the fuel pump, but like I said, it would have to be partically plugged or
no good. I would think if it were the fuel pump it wouldn`t start at all~~~
~Judy in MI~ :) Hope this helps?

·
Registered
camry
583 Posts
I can guaranteed you that it's not the fuel filter. I am telling you this now, don't mess with the filter, you're just wasting time.

That's not the way to diagnose your car. Im assuming theres no check engine light and the problem isn't intermittent.

1. check to see if immobilizer transceiver or key isn't a problem.
2. check the fuel pump relay to see if it still work properly.

·
Where are we going today?
Camry 00/Corolla 19
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will check the fuel pump relay.

It happens on short n long trips. I m bait puzzled by this and I am not sure if I want to dig into the gas tank for the fuel filter.

And the bad thing is it does not happen everyday.

1, will check the relays
2, will check the fob key and even try the valet key

·
Registered
355 Posts
Check the Battery terminals and also the ground, make sure everything is tight. Also next time this happens go to a mechanic (unless still under warranty-then the dealer). I have been told many things by pepboys, not always true though. The quality of the people working there could be all over the map.

·
Registered
2011 SE
153 Posts
if you're not getting a CEL, save yourself a lot of time, agravation and money and see a qualified technition. another thought, get a code reader and hook it to the OBD port on the car. sometimes OBD codes are stored and won't turn on the CEL if they correct or reset themselves when the ignition is recycled

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had this problem as well. Check your battery terminals and if theres corrosion on them take them off and clean with wire brush. Problem solved.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Maybe the ignition switch? If you can start the car with the key off just a tiny tiny bit-I had this happen once in another car...changed the whole ENGINE, and afterwards tried to start it up, and it started. We went YAY and went in to eat lunch...then went to start it it would not start! Took it to the mechanic and he discovered this key-being-slightly-off thing. Changed the ignition switch and that fixed it.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
It is your framastan. No, wait- flux capacitor. No, that's not it. I know- muffler bearings. Maybe blinker fluid. Don't pay attention to all the internet experts who don't know jack about cars. Take it to a shop, it could be lots and lots of things.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a toyota camry '08 and the engine shuts off on motion one day, replaced the alternator, then the battery didn't charge.....it shuts off again before night fall. i repaired the new alternator again and after like 2weeks, the engine shuts off again. any advice, please? I am at my wits end

1 - 20 of 26 Posts