Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
This Space For Rent
14,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to go car shopping with my parents today and came across a 2008 Chevy Cobalt with 61 miles on the clock. The asking price was, IIRC, $12,800 after dealer incentives. Sticker was about $16K. Seems to me like a bargain, but I'm afraid GM might go under, then what?

Is that a good price for the Cobalt?

·
Banned
0 Posts
GM's not going under.

They may end up in C11, but it has already been made clear that the warranties will be honored.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
what model cobalt was it? and was it loaded up or something? SS? turbocharged?

cuz when I was back home last week, I remember seeing the base 2008 cobalts going for a cash price of 9,999CND brand spanking new.

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Cressida
4,512 Posts
Went to go car shopping with my parents today and came across a 2008 Chevy Cobalt with 61 miles on the clock. The asking price was, IIRC, $12,800 after dealer incentives. Sticker was about $16K. Seems to me like a bargain, but I'm afraid GM might go under, then what?

Is that a good price for the Cobalt?
If its a standard or base Cobalt then no since they depreciate like stone. We sell our base 2007/2008 Cobalt/G5s by 60,000kms and they only fetch $7000 maybe $8000. If its an SS...definitely yes.

·
GO KING'S GO!
05' Taco Pre-Runner
2,250 Posts
GM will file bankruptcy...it is a matter of time. No more bailouts for a piss poor managed company.

·
This Space For Rent
14,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nah, it was just a regular one, although I did see another one in the showroom, didn't take a closer look to see if it was the SS one, but it did have the side skirts and I think it was going for sticker price.

Too bad American cars take a hit the moment you drive it off the lot. We're looking to get a Nissan Versa for my mom to drive. Test drove one today, pretty peppy for 1.8L engine, very nice roomy interior and pretty a smooth engine. OTOH, went to go check out the Hyundai, didn't test drive it though. Sat inside one and the plastic seemed cheap compared to the Nissan. The Hyundai seemed sparse too and less leg room in the back. They were both comparably optioned and priced. But Hyundai has the better warranty, but the Nissan is hard to beat.

·
straight cash homie
20,818 Posts
Too bad American cars take a hit the moment you drive it off the lot. We're looking to get a Nissan Versa for my mom to drive. Test drove one today, pretty peppy for 1.8L engine, very nice roomy interior and pretty a smooth engine. OTOH, went to go check out the Hyundai, didn't test drive it though. Sat inside one and the plastic seemed cheap compared to the Nissan. The Hyundai seemed sparse too and less leg room in the back. They were both comparably optioned and priced. But Hyundai has the better warranty, but the Nissan is hard to beat.
Nissan Versa :confused: no offense, but I would worry about reliability, especially the ones built in Mexico. Did you mom try the Corolla, Civic or Fit? How about a Mazda3?

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo
19,831 Posts
Allen, one of my cooks has a Nissan Versa. She loves it. She's had it a couple of years and put a lot of miles on it in that time. She lives way out in the country and commutes to Monticello to work(about 100 miles/day rnd trip). It has been trouble free so far. Great on gas too as you probably already know.

·
This Space For Rent
14,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Nissan Versa :confused: no offense, but I would worry about reliability, especially the ones built in Mexico.
We were looking specifically at those cars because of their low MSRP, money is tight and mom needs a new sled. Some guy at another dealer offered $12,600 for the Versa even before we negotiate. That's a hell of a great price for what we're looking for. At least the tranny and engine are made in Japan. The rest of the Versa is about 57% Japanese and 43% Mexican made parts.

·
Toyota/Scion Salesperson
279 Posts
i hate my 06 cobalt...well except for the engine and trans and my fuel economy...its horribel...why dont you pick up a corolla s with a $1750 rebate...yeah its more money but it has hella better resale value or get a yaris at 0% interest.

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Cressida
4,512 Posts
Nissan Versa :confused: no offense, but I would worry about reliability, especially the ones built in Mexico. Did you mom try the Corolla, Civic or Fit? How about a Mazda3?
Reliability isn't exactly a problem with any of the Mexican made Nissans, its the build quality(interior coming apart) that's their biggest flaw. Nissan fixed the bad fuel pump that made starting 07 Versas difficult with a recall, that's the only mechanical flaw I've ever seen from them. I like these cars but...that terrible build quality is something I can never live with after seeing so many missing pieces on Versas and Sentras.

The Yaris is the best bang for the buck, if you like the interior and don't always go highway driving its a surprisingly nice Toyota to drive. Build quality in the Yaris is fantastic for this level and they're our most abused cars. I personally like the Honda Fit better...but its price is ridiculously high meaning I'd look at a Mazda 3 instead.

The Hyundai Accent...don't go with the automatic...that transmission is badly designed. It breaks easily and is horribly slow at changing gears ie. R to D. The Kia Rio is basically the same...but the steering somehow feels worse, you get heated seats though. Since I'm on the Korean small cars...the Aveo...I'll just say this...it makes a base Cobalt look like an excellent car.

If you have money go with the Honda Fit, if you don't then go with the Yaris. If your going to scrap your car in 4 years...then maybe the Versa.

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,670 Posts
Why not a Scion xD?

·
Registered
54 Posts
i rented a cobalt and it had a horrible wind whistle at highway speed with a quartering headwind. when i first heard it i thought a wheel bearing was going out. then it became amusing to pass other cars as they heard it too for sure. don't buy it, get a new corolla.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
IS used an option? How often will it be driven? I would consider something used and cheap especially if it is just going to be a "point a to point b" run around car.

·
This Space For Rent
14,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welp, after much deliberation and the lack of funds, mom's decided to spend the money she would put down on the new car to fix up her '93 GS300 that she's currently driving. There's a couple large dents on both the front and rear fender, timing belt making a horrible noise, 3 of 4 window switches have gone kaput, rear passenger reading lamp broke thanks to my 4 year old, etc. It has about 160K on it now, and the engine still pulls the way it should. No real loss I guess, but man, gonna miss that new car smell after those test drives. :lol: Thanks for all your opinions guys, much appreciated!

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,665 Posts
My buddy had a Cobalt SS SC and he loved the car, never had any major problems with it except for the door striker problems (I believe it's coupe related). His lease expired so he picked up his sisters G5 Coupe lease... for $150 a month, why not! :lol:

Humanoid... tell your mom to VIP her ride. :smokin:

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Cressida
4,512 Posts
No real loss I guess, but man, gonna miss that new car smell after those test drives. :lol:
It disappears really quickly these days so you won't smell it for long either way.

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,631 Posts
Well, you'd probably get more for your money's worth if you burned $12,800 rather than buying a Cobalt. Seriously if you have your heart set on one (I don't see how anyone could) buy one used.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts