Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'08 HL LTD blizzard
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a strut that's slightly leaking. Do they make inserts or do you have to replace the whole strut? If so, would you recommend replacing the bearing also?
Thank You! :)

·
Registered
Highlander Limited
435 Posts
If a strut is leaking it must be replaced. I would replace it all. If you don't get a quick strut then I would replace the strut and everything except the spring. If you have a lot of miles I would also replace the spring.

·
イリジウム
11,942 Posts
Inserts were old time. Don’t think anybody does any more.

I’d use complete assemblies, so much easier. Monroe makes it for both w/ and w/o sports suspension. And they cover normal wear as well. So no need to pay for another set except warranty shipping (details on rockauto). Watch for their buy 4 get cash card back deal.

KYB doesn’t cover normal wear, but some members like the firmer ride. I think it’s too harsh in its inability to properly handle road cracks and lane tiles but YMMV. IMO KYB = Keep Your Bilsteins.

·
Registered
'08 HL LTD blizzard
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all! Back in the day we could replace just the inserts.😉 Was hoping there was an option to save some money. I will definitely watch for the sales, thanks for that reminder! I always use factory parts but in this instance I may stray from the norm. Thanks again!🤗

·
イリジウム
11,942 Posts
While I prefer Monroes, many member who like OEM use KYB in the aftermarket. KYB makes Toyota struts. Check the stamping on yours.

But KYB is too harsh and firm for me. And they don’t cover normal wear.

So Monroe, KYB or dealer counter, YMMV.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts