Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I know this is an old thread but, it was very useful finding it to help me decide on upgrading my wheels and wanted to contibute if anyone else is considering doing the same. I just bought a 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4WD in excellent condition. I found the stock 17 inch wheels boring and wanted to update the car. I was able to find a set of 19 inch 5 spoke machined wheels for the 2008-2013 Highlander. The stock tire size for those 19" wheels is 245 55 19 but, I bought some Pirelli scorpion Verdes 235 55 19. They look great and really update the look of the first gen highlander. The have low rolling resistance so they didn't affect my gas mileage. This tire size converter was helpful to choose the tire size https://tiresize.com/converter/. The ride with the 19 inch wheels is just a little firmer but, also more stable on cornering and ride smooth. Great looking wheels, I'm happy I got them on. I'll try to post pictures when I figure out how to do it in this forum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
By the way, no mods were needed or any adapters/spacers. Just mounted them and enjoying the ride. Make sure not to get wider tires or higher sidewalls as the clearance from the tire to the strut is very small. You don't want anything rubbing/ scrapping your tires. You can reach on the back of the tire towards the strut, make sure you can feel with your fingers a small gap between tire and strut. Mine is about a finger thick with the 19 inch wheels.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 19's should fit just fine on my 2003 3.0L AWD they rub just a bit before full steering lock, I got some 1.5" wheel spacers off amazon for about $70USD which almost completely fixed the rubbing, I took my little sporty front mud guards off the front wheel wells and it doesn't rub enough for me to notice. As far as pricing I got a set of 4 of the 19's with factory tires at about half life for $175 on Craigslist so i am all in for about $300-$350USD after mounting and such at my local tire emporium. The only other thing to watch is your clearance between the top of the tire and the bottom of the rear strut tower (?) with the halfway used tires that came on my rims I had at best 5mm of clearance, the spacers helped this but any bigger of a tire than factory and they would not have fit. All of the photos below are before the wheel spacers if there is any interest I will post some updated pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice looking highlander, really like the blacked out look.
This are some extra pics of our 2006 highlander Hybrid with the 19" 2008-2014 wheels with 235/55/19 Pirelli scorpion Verde tires. Fit without modifications and no rubbing. We towed a pop up camper from Dallas to Yellowstone and everything worked perfect towing (we installed a Brake controller on the Highlander to take advantage of the brakes on the camper) also shown on the photos are the Highlander projector headlights we updated with. Huge difference in illumination, had to hunt for low profile LED headlight bulbs as the metal support behind the headlights made it nearly impossible to install any type of bulb.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts