Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2008 HiHy
4 Posts
I recently had to replace the actuator and pump as well-on my 2008 with only 81K miles.

Has anyone had multiple failures of the actuator? I'm not sure if I should sell the car now that everything is fixed (i.e. take my money and run), or if the parts were subsequently re-engineered by Toyota such that failure is not likely to occur again.

And as an FYI for other owners, my failure progression was decrease in regeneration under braking->audible hissing from rear of vehicle->increase in pump priming frequency under hood->hiccuping from brake pedal while stopped->system failure. It took about 12 months from the decline in regenerative braking to get to the hiccups, then only two weeks from hiccups to system failure. It cost me $2700 to replace in the LA area at my local Toyota mechanic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am the original person that indicated a brake fluid flush fixed the actuator cycling issue. Last month, I received a "Customer Support Program Notification - ZKC" in the mail from Toyota with this exact issue. "The primary coverage offers coverage until December 31, 2020, regardless of mileage. Secondary coverage (after primary coverage ends) applicable for 10 years from the date first use or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first."

I cleared the original error with an ABS scanner when this first occurred a few months ago. After I flushed the brake fluid, It never returned. But, the error code "Toyota ABS C1391 - Abnormal Leak of Accumulator Pressure" was still showing up as "current" when I scanned it. I called the dealer and described the issue. But, they wanted to charge me to look at it. I understand that they would be hesitant to look at it while the warning light is not there anymore.

Since the car is due for a timing belt change anyway, I called them again for the timing belt change and mentioned about this issue. They did a scan while the car was there, found the code, and said it is covered by this coverage. I just got the car back today with a brand new brake actuator at no cost! The invoice says the work code is W93.

The letter also include a section regarding customer reimbursement if the repair had been done previously. Thank you Toyota for stepping up on this issue. And, be nice to your Toyota Dealer. :cool:

21 - 23 of 23 Posts