Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Initial quality is meaningless and what the warranty is for... wait 10 years down the road!

AC needs a complete evac and measured recharge. Have the filterdrier changed.

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Highlander
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Initial quality is meaningless and what the warranty is for... wait 10 years down the road!

AC needs a complete evac and measured recharge. Have the filterdrier changed.
That's what I was trying to a vacuum was pulled then I attempted to recharge it using a scale to weight the refrigerant. When I tried to add refrigerant the compressor didn't start to allow the recharge. Yes, you're right I definitely needed a new filter/drier and a whole lot more. Just trying to do a temporary fix until I got all my replacement parts. Now I have 4-70 AC.
Thanks, DV

·
AvConsult
3,578 Posts
Looks like Toyota made the weird decision, probably during transition, to put a clutch on at least some variable compressors.

Sounds like OP's 3-pin connector may be the clutch and sensor connector. Triangular near the clutch?
The clutch is there for when you've not selected A/C--it reduced parasitic load on the engine and of course reduces wear and tear on the compressor bearings, etc.

·
AvConsult
3,578 Posts
DV, if you have non-running pressures of 90/100 (it's probably 100/100, but the HIGH gauge is inaccurate), that is sufficient to make the pressure switch happy and engage the compressor clutch. Are you sure the outer clutch plate (and thus compressor shaft) is not spinning? Can you take a video? What I'm getting at; your efforts to get the compressor clutch engaged in bypassing the pressure switch may have unfruitful because clutch is already engaged, but the compressor is producing zero compression, because the internal control orifice on the compressor is now clogged. That's how my compressor failed after using super seal. If this is the situation for you, there is no fix other than replacing the compressor, condenser and to be certain, the TVX as well. About $400 in parts from RockAuto.

If you are getting a difference in pressure between low/high, then the compressor is at least partially pumping, but still below nominal due to partial compressor or condensor clogging.

See my thread. Stop Leak, Unhappy A/C Compressor

Article on variable capacity compressors: Diagnosing Variable Displacement Compressors | MOTOR

·
AvConsult
3,578 Posts
I bought a '17 CX-5. I don't have any experience with the CX-9, but it would appear to be a good three-row SUV. Plenty of YouTube reviews and Consumer Reports data on it.

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Highlander
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
DV, if you have non-running pressures of 90/100 (it's probably 100/100, but the HIGH gauge is inaccurate), that is sufficient to make the pressure switch happy and engage the compressor clutch. Are you sure the outer clutch plate (and thus compressor shaft) is not spinning? Can you take a video? What I'm getting at; your efforts to get the compressor clutch engaged in bypassing the pressure switch may have unfruitful because clutch is already engaged, but the compressor is producing zero compression, because the internal control orifice on the compressor is now clogged. That's how my compressor failed after using super seal. If this is the situation for you, there is no fix other than replacing the compressor, condenser and to be certain, the TVX as well. About $400 in parts from RockAuto.

If you are getting a difference in pressure between low/high, then the compressor is at least partially pumping, but still below nominal due to partial compressor or condensor clogging.

See my thread. Stop Leak, Unhappy A/C Compressor

Article on variable capacity compressors: Diagnosing Variable Displacement Compressors | MOTOR
I know the clutch is not engaged. My cell phone has been broke for months. I do remember last year that I was able to jumper the switch and get the compressor clutch to engage to accept a charge. Then I plugged it back up and I finished the recharge. I did hear the clutch engage momentarily and then kick off while trying to jump the switch. This internal control orifice wasn't completely clogged prior to losing most of the refrigerant(gauge leak) that doesn't mean it's not now the vacuum pump might have sucked it full? I think you can get that stem-looking control solenoid for the compressor. I'm just trying to get rid of it. Most ads with a car for sale with a broken ac is always say it's low on feon. I definitely don't want to replace the evaporator. It definitely is a slow leak now because it held vacuum. THAT'S THE LEAST OF MY WORRIES. I can get my son to film it for you; but he's doing Aerospace research for Air Bus in his bedroom now. He's got two years left to finish his PhD in Aerospace Engineering. Thanks DV

What are you doing in the picture welding or wearing a headlamp?

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Highlander
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I know the clutch is not engaged. My cell phone has been broke for months. I do remember last year that I was able to jumper the switch and get the compressor clutch to engage to accept a charge. Then I plugged it back up and I finished the recharge. I did hear the clutch engage momentarily and then kick off while trying to jump the switch. This internal control orifice wasn't completely clogged prior to losing most of the refrigerant(gauge leak) that doesn't mean it's not now the vacuum pump might have sucked it full? I think you can get that stem-looking control solenoid for the compressor. I'm just trying to get rid of it. Most ads with a car for sale with a broken ac is always say it's low on feon. I definitely don't want to replace the evaporator. It definitely is a slow leak now because it held vacuum. THAT'S THE LEAST OF MY WORRIES. I can get my son to film it for you; but he's doing Aerospace research for Air Bus in his bedroom now. He's got two years left to finish his PhD in Aerospace Engineering. Thanks DV

What are you doing in the picture welding or wearing a headlamp?
I WAS WRONG THE COMPRESSOR WAS TURNING! I TOUCH IT WITH A YARD STICK. The pressures were both 100 psig when removed the gauges. You're right still no pumping action. It would be great if I could repair the compressor. At least I have the expert DYIer advisor leading me. Thanks Again. I'll let you know what happens next.DV

·
AvConsult
3,578 Posts
Well, it could be the compressor solenoid isn't working or there is a control circuit issue, but given circumstances here, I'd wager with high certainty that the compressor orifices are clogged with super seal. You could bench the compressor and attempt extracting the control solenoid (mine was stuck in there) or tear down the compressor and clean the orifices. However, it won't address the prior issue of super high pressures and venting, which is likely a clogged condenser, which you won't be able to clean effectively. I really don't see a way around buying $400 in parts, chemically blowing out the evaporator and all the refrigerant lines, assembling, vacuum down, and recharging. Its a lot of work, and at the end of it all, you'll still have an evaporator that will develop other and surely faster leaks in the not too distant future.

·
AvConsult
3,578 Posts
As for my avatar, it's Red from the Red Green show. I'm much younger and more handsome.

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Highlander
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well, it could be the compressor solenoid isn't working or there is a control circuit issue, but given circumstances here, I'd wager with high certainty that the compressor orifices are clogged with super seal. You could bench the compressor and attempt extracting the control solenoid (mine was stuck in there) or tear down the compressor and clean the orifices. However, it won't address the prior issue of super high pressures and venting, which is likely a clogged condenser, which you won't be able to clean effectively. I really don't see a way around buying $400 in parts, chemically blowing out the evaporator and all the refrigerant lines, assembling, vacuum down, and recharging. Its a lot of work, and at the end of it all, you'll still have an evaporator that will develop other and surely faster leaks in the not too distant future.
My wife and son were involved in a roll over accident this AM in Kentucky. Both were hurt my wife broke her L2 vertebrae and sternum and my son broke his sternum and lost his car and a $800.00 bike in the accident. I believe they were have been better off in the highlander; but I couldn't fix the ac. The highlander is on it's way out of my life soon. I've got too many other things to worry about than a piece of crap vehicle. His Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix sure was a damn good car and it was a 2008??? What happened here? I do plan on taking the compressor off and see what I can do to. One thing I can't hurt it worst than it probably already is. We need to sue the super seal company if it was cost effective.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts