Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace my tired 93 Toyota DLX truck...

Want to purchase some newer year Tacoma open to year and milage....thinking not more than $12K...before the after purchase inevitable small fix-ups. Seeing a 2008 4.0L that shows 165K miles with reasonable ownship/service records.

Wondering what the known issues/reliability factors are with the various years in my price range.

Just starting my research so any help or pointing me to a comprehensive discussion thread would be appreciated.....feeling the itch but trying not to be impetuous.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
Bought my '08 end of 2011 with 53k on it.
It had been a fleet vehicle from some company in San Diego, they turned it in when their lease was up with 53k on it

I ran it up to 160k from 2012 to Feb 2016.
Only issue that I had was the water pump started leaking somewhere around 95k, replaced it myself. Couple of brake jobs, that was it.
That was the 2.7, not the 4.0
Frame rust is still a problem in areas where they salt the roads.

But you're talking about a 10 year old truck. The habits and maintenance of the previous owner is going to be more of an impact on your experience with the vehicle than any "common problems"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point cb.....perhaps I should just try to wait it out and find a nicer 1 owner well maintained Tacoma that was used as a car vs truck. I poked around today....saw a few that weren't impressive.... the price range is probably a pipe dream for anything of reasonable confidence for a 2 - 4 year time frame.

The thrust of my idea was that I'm also considering a Nissan Frontier....which in the year notch starting 2005 had certain defined issues to consider before buying....timing chains, coolant contamination, low compression for instance....stuff to know or consider ahead of time.

I've had 4 prior Toyota's...all had good reliability....my DLX truck is not an exception just was tired when I bought it for my son who I thought would trash it before it wore out.....he did trash it but I kept fixing it. The last year's repairs exceeded the value of the vehicle but it's hard to let go when you already are under water and it still basicly works (usually). Some tranny issues now so it's on "hospice" at this point.

cb....I'm just now prowling the boards so getting up to speed on model years, motors, idiosyncrasies, etc ....having said that with all your posts who've done do you see many complaints from folks who are just trying to take a chance on a higher mileage car/truck only to be defeated by the notion that a Toyota almost never breaks.

I'll probably look at that 2008 SR5 165k miles just to peek....ordinarily i wouldn't consider buying with this mileage even thou most of my cars last this long....but everything gets fixed along the way.

Anyway....thanks for the response.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cj1...Good thing to consider....and not dismiss offhandedly. That idea will broaden my search.

I live metro Indy so good cars go quick and usually don't show up on the used car lots where they put "lipstick on pigs".

·
Premium Member
13,968 Posts
Yeah, so long as its frame is not eaten from rust (not an issue for us out west), then most any year will be about the same. First couple of years had a very small number of issues with head gaskets (affecting all 1GR-FE motors in all models), and some had their motor mounts on the frame fail due to poor design. I think those must have been 4-wheeled hard because I never had the issue and the truck has spent a lot of time off-road.

There’s a thread on differences between all the years. ‘09 and later had all the traction control standard on all configurations. Traction control makes a huge difference in 2wd from what others have said in the past. I’d personally look to that year or later (newer).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Moose....thanks for the additional input. The Truck will be primarily for my adult son who I'm helping out $$ wise so I suspect I wouldn't find the '09 or eariler choice locally and in my price range anytime soon....and then my son hasn't yet developed pride of ownership or desire to maintain regularly. Appreciate the tip on traction control....didn't know it was even an option....certainly would be a good one here in IN b/c we do get some snow.

I've just now found a reasonable candidate...although a bit far away to see unless I can convince myself ahead of time that I'd be a buyer based on verbal description and it does check out.....I'm the type of guy who has trouble pulling the trigger without working my brain out....passed on some good stuff by this bad characteristic, probably also saved me as well.

Found '04 Xtra cab Pre runner....85K miles...not yet sure on equipment or motor....price $8700 asking....probably a 2.7 L for this price comparing the local market.

BTW, do you have a link handy for that thread you mentioned that described all the differences between various years.

Thanks for the interest in my journey to find my next Toyota.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Moose.....you saved my ass. Took a long trip to where the truck I mentioned last post was located....in the middle of nowwhere Indiana. Looked good on photos and paper....good thing you mentioned the frame inspection....I might have overlooked that in my exuberance....pretty much eaten thru. I doubt it was even safe on the road....both rails had numerous large holes front to back. Took about 1 minute to tell my son "we can't buy this truck"....he got it when I showed him. Should have asked for frame photo ahead of time Oh, well,At least I got to spend the afternoon with my son talking while we traveled....that was a bonus in and of itself.

The search shall continue....

BTW, thanks for the link.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If it's seen salt, I'd stay away unless you get it on a lift and inspect yourself. My Tacoma had 68,000 mile and is mint except for atotally rusted frame. I'm the original owner and took good care of the truck.

·
Gone skiing
24 Posts
Here is a list of all the issues I have had with my 2007 4WD Access cab with a 4.0L 6 speed manual 147K miles. I bought this truck new in 2006 and it has been through New England winters with mucho salt on the roads.

1. Rusted frame that got undercoated and it has all flaked off because they just put it on top of rust. They told me my frame is fine and Corporate sent me the no new frame for you letter.

2 Both rear parking brake cabled rusted off where they enter the drums.

3. Blower motor replaced.

4. Windshield wiper motor replaced.

5. AC clutch relay replaced.

6. Two idler pulleys replaced.

7. Major oil leak on the engine timing cover.

8. Clutch throw out bearing chirping forcing me to get a new clutch and slave cylinder.

9. Both front wheel bearings replaced.

10. Rock hit AC condenser so it got replaced.

11. TPMS sensors all have battery failures.

12. Clutch pedal creaking

13. Rear U-joint failure.

14. My alternator just crapped out.

Good thing I did most of these jobs myself or it would have cost a fortune. I know these are still better than American trucks but come on. I had a 1991 Toyota 4X4 that went to 300K and didn't have problems like this. The frame on that 91 looked almost brand new when I gave it to my nephew.

·
Gone skiing
24 Posts
I forgot to mention the recalls besides the frame rot which by the way everything the frame touches is rusting too.

1. rear leaf springs replaced.

2. Spiral cable in the steering column.

3. The stupid gas pedal modification which was totally unnecessary.

4. There is a rear u-joint recall but mine seems fine as long you grease them every 5K miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess I feel grateful now that my 93 DLX Truck has been as good to me as it has. Frame basically in good shape....the body not so much. A few items last year....fuel pump which rust complicated the repair, alternator and battery....both hastened by leaky front main seal that's not worth repairing = oily engine bay. Now having some wacky turn signal problems which I'm working thru on another thread started yesterday. Oh, well it's mostly a mulch truck. I'm not really a good DIY'er so minor problems add up dollar wise.

Met a fella today who just bought a '16 Tacoma thru Car Max with 92K miles....he paid $22K....he seemed happy...I was thinking, Ouch.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
But in fairness to Toyota, many of gbeer's problems are normal wear and tear.
TPMS batteries have a life expectancy of 5-10 years, so for the '06 to have needed a set is expected.
Blower motor is hit and miss. My wife's '04 Rav4 needed one after only about 5 years, the replacement was still in the car when we traded it in 6 years later. I've never had to do one on a Toyota other than that one, and we have our blowers running all the time.
Spiral cable and other recalls *should* have been taken care of by the previous owner, but it's not a big deal to have the dealer check and perform the work.
Several issues that could be of concern are those related to the environment... both the AC condensor apparently not protected from rocks, but mainly the rust issues. Frame rust is a HUGE problem with Tacoma and Tundra back to before 2000.
Wheel bearings could be related to the environment... my '08 was fine at 160k, needing only a water pump @ 100k.

·
Registered
10 Posts
1 is a Rusty frame, 68,000 and mine is toast and Toyota did the CRC twice and I even had it rustproofed.

2. Starters short out causing battery to lose charge over a couple weeks.

3. Rear spring breakage

4. AC pump squeal.

This is my second Toy truck that has had it's frame rust to nothing. The first in 113,000 and this 2nd Gen in 68,000. I'll never buy another one but if you do, put it on a lift and make sure your the one walking underneath it to see what it's condition is.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts