Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people,

I just purchased a 2008 Camry from Craigslist with an extended guarantee.

I brought it to a dealership for an oil change and they have informed me that I am leaking gear fluid (transmission oil). The person told me he is not sure where it is leaking; it could be between the drive shaft and the transmission.

I could not find anyone else with this problem.

I am scheduled to have a thorough diagnostic done to the car this Friday.

Any thoughts on this matter?

Thanks.

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
"Extended guarantee" off Craigslist? How does that work? If that's the case wouldn't you get it taken care of through that? I have a 2011 SE manual, but it's a different engine and trans. Manual Camry's are hard to come by. Probably just a seal went....though it could be worse.....tell them to put a little dye in the fluid, then you will be able to tell where it is coming from.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About the guarantee... when you purchase a "platinum extended guarantee" through Toyota, it is transferable to the second owner of the car for $50.00 and must be done within the first 30 days of ownership. I guess this is a selling point to purchase the guarantee.

I purchased the car with 35K mile for $13K (car now has 37k miles), came with a sunroof, no stability control J, fog lights and stick shift and the remaining extended guarantee 7 years or 75Kmiles.

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
Ahhhh I get it now, thanks for clearing that up. Like I said, try throwing some dye in the trans (I believe there's a plug for adding fluid somewhere on top or near the top of the trans), and see where it leaks out.

·
Cruisin' along
2019 Camry LE
858 Posts
well the entire underside should be cleaned/de-greased, then a dye put in, then you drive for about 1 week, then you go back.

at least 2 places the leak id from, axle seals or input shaft.

axle seal leaking, under warranty they will replace only the leaking one, and its a pretty quick job.

input shaft.........transaxle removal........big job, no car for one, maybe 2 days.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Hey people,

I just purchased a 2008 Camry from Craigslist with an extended guarantee.

I brought it to a dealership for an oil change and they have informed me that I am leaking gear fluid (transmission oil). The person told me he is not sure where it is leaking; it could be between the drive shaft and the transmission.

I could not find anyone else with this problem.

I am scheduled to have a thorough diagnostic done to the car this Friday.

Any thoughts on this matter?

Thanks.
My 2007 CE 5 speed manual had a bad O-ring seal on the output shaft - started around 5 or 10 thousand miles, very very small leak. They replaced the seal under warranty in about 2-3 hours total. I posted a picture of it on Toyota Nation - search for it and you'll see it.

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
Wow, bad o-ring seal, water pump went early....keep an eye on that Camry of yours...although I admit water pumps go out early on 75% of Camrys/Corollas

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 2007 CE 5 speed manual had a bad O-ring seal on the output shaft - started around 5 or 10 thousand miles, very very small leak. They replaced the seal under warranty in about 2-3 hours total. I posted a picture of it on Toyota Nation - search for it and you'll see it.
I would really like to see this post and pictures but I could not find it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Wow, bad o-ring seal, water pump went early....keep an eye on that Camry of yours...although I admit water pumps go out early on 75% of Camrys/Corollas
Yes, I also had the dash rattle (TSB took care of that) and the hesitation on acceleration (TSB also done). The hesitation was strange, because it is a manual transmission. When I bought it, I knew the automatics had the hesitation, but it turns out the manual had the hesitation too!

No problems since, but the water pump worries me - when will it fail next?? All prior cars went at least 100,000 miles on the water pumps!!

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
Yes, I also had the dash rattle (TSB took care of that) and the hesitation on acceleration (TSB also done). The hesitation was strange, because it is a manual transmission. When I bought it, I knew the automatics had the hesitation, but it turns out the manual had the hesitation too!

No problems since, but the water pump worries me - when will it fail next?? All prior cars went at least 100,000 miles on the water pumps!!
I see in our service department all the time cars come in around 25-35k with bad water pumps. Warranty took care of it of course, but all the same, a big job that no one likes. My old car went 125k on the original water pump.

There's a TSB on the dash rattle??? I'm going to look into that....

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
There's a TSB on the dash rattle??? I'm going to look into that....
Yes, but my fix was to stuff some foam rubber down by the base of the dash where it meets the windshield. No more rattles and didn't have to have anyone disassemble half the car.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I want to thank everyone for posting.

I brought it to the dealership and they confirmed that it was the same gasket that was mentioned. And of course they do not have it in stock.... and now I have to go back.

Everyone at the dealership was really nice BUT THIS IS BULL SH*T THAT I HAVE TO COME BACK.

I was there last week to get an oil change... (express garage) where they noticed it... yesterday I went to another garage (next door to the express garage) and it took the guy like 20 seconds to say "YUP you need to change the gasket on the drivshaft".

I just think that is the DEALERSHIPS actual put the customer first this sort of stuff (coming back all the time) would not have happened. I'm a little disappointed.

I will post again when the job is done, and one more time when I DIY oil change and examine that I have a dry undercarage.

Thank you.

Josh

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
Manual transmissions in a Camry are very rare. The dealership needs to stock parts used daily or weekly, not once in a blue moon. The parts are at the regional warehouse and they can get them in a day or two. If they are being nice to you, understand that each dealer is not in a position to be a stocking warehouse for all parts for all models, and that they are probably doing the best they can.

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
Manual transmissions in a Camry are very rare. The dealership needs to stock parts used daily or weekly, not once in a blue moon. The parts are at the regional warehouse and they can get them in a day or two. If they are being nice to you, understand that each dealer is not in a position to be a stocking warehouse for all parts for all models, and that they are probably doing the best they can.
I work at a dealership and anything involving the trans on a manual Camry takes a couple days to come in. And expecially with the new 2010/2011 6 speeds sometimes they even have to special order it. (No one seems to carry parts for it!!! lol)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think you missed the point.

I was there last week for an oil change, they should have spent the 20 seconds examining my car and told me to come in when they get the part RATHER THEN...

telling me to come in again so they can spend the 20 seconds and examine my car.

I do expect them to have these parts stocked.... but that is my opinion.

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
If the dealer stocked every part for every car they would need their own warehouse. It's virtually impossible to stock everyone's part....but I do understand where you're coming from, I really do.

Like what was mentioned before, the manual transmission in the Camry is extremely rare and for the dealer to stock those parts on a usual basis would be silly, it just takes up space.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And again,

When I got the oil change, and they told me that I am leaking gear oil, they should have spent the 20 seconds THEN and said, it's the gasket and they will order it and I will come back to get it fixed RATHER THEN...
You have to come back so we can spend the 20 seconds plus 2 minutes to get your car on a lift plus you will need to wait ANOTHER HOUR, so we can tell you to come back....

I still think you are missing the point. You work for a dealership.... I totally appreciate anything you say...

But you should put the client first!!!! and not be so defensive about Toyota.

I persnally have a lot of gripes about Toyota but I still purchased another one... AM I CRAZY... maybe.

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
And again,

When I got the oil change, and they told me that I am leaking gear oil, they should have spent the 20 seconds THEN and said, it's the gasket and they will order it and I will come back to get it fixed RATHER THEN...
You have to come back so we can spend the 20 seconds plus 2 minutes to get your car on a lift plus you will need to wait ANOTHER HOUR, so we can tell you to come back....

I still think you are missing the point. You work for a dealership.... I totally appreciate anything you say...

But you should put the client first!!!! and not be so defensive about Toyota.

I persnally have a lot of gripes about Toyota but I still purchased another one... AM I CRAZY... maybe.
Easy man.....I just said that I totally understand where you're coming from. I would feel the same way. They should have inspected your car first rather than you coming back to have them inspect it. You are absolutely right. I see your point. :cool:

Everyone either loves Toyota or they hate them. I work for a Toyota dealer and drive a Camry, but I don't love everything about Toyota. They're better than other brands/dealers in some things, and worse than other brands/dealers in others.

Enough said. :D

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
I agree that they should have noted the leak the first time. Really no excuse for it. Now understand, I do NOT work for a dealer. I am not a schill. I am absolutely DELIGHTED that my dealer has to order odd parts when I need them. Why? Because I like the idea of paying $1 for a $1 part, that's why. If my dealer had to stock everything and warehouse it, I would pay for the warehouse, the cost of stocking the part and the costs accrued when keeping them on the shelves for countless years, unused. There was a time when a VW dealer could keep everything in stock that went into a Beetle, from the pan right on up. Even the paint. There just weren't that many parts and they rarely changed much. Nobody can do that in today's economy and with today's varied models and body styles. Simply is not realistic.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts