Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased it from the original owner, 137k miles, with lots of new parts (tires, brakes, battery, etc.). My 1st Toyota, and it's much better than my Suburban and Yukon XL!

The Power Lift Gate will only open (using the dash button, or the key fob).

When I try to close it, I get 1 long beep (about 5 seconds) and nothing happens.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance.

Wheel Car Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just to add some details:
The defeat button on the dash is Enabled, and it opens under it's own power.
the power latch works good, I can hear it cycling to open, when I press the handle under the window.
The Lift Gate opens and closes manually, with no issues.
Once the Lift Gate is powered open, I can close it very easily by hand.
Looks like the strut for the power mechanism is slightly bowed out
(not sure it effects the closing or not, but it opens good) photo attached below.

Wheel Tire Hood Automotive tire Tread

·
Registered
818 Posts
Toyota hinges are absolute junk. Raynolds aluminum foil is stronger.
What probably happened, if you cannot reprogram tail gate, is that it hit something during closing. It bent hinge enough to misaligned it although you might not see it with your eyes. It is big issue on Toyota vehicles and as usual, Toyota blames drivers.
How to fix it other than replacing lift gate, idk. Mine on Sienna got so bent that body shop just fixed it to be able to manually close it, but it could open like in your case. Toyota will only want to replace gate. In my case they quoted me $3,200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 Sequoia Platinum 210K
36 Posts
Just purchased it from the original owner, 137k miles, with lots of new parts (tires, brakes, battery, etc.). My 1st Toyota, and it's much better than my Suburban and Yukon XL!

The Power Lift Gate will only open (using the dash button, or the key fob).

When I try to close it, I get 1 long beep (about 5 seconds) and nothing happens.
The Liftgate Latch Control Rod - Toyota (85475-0C010) has a curve in it from the factory to allow for the opening arc of the door.

The main switch (on the dash panel on a 2008) if set to off position (switch depressed in) will disable the power back door system from operating either opening of closing. If the door opens under power, it is not disabled.

There are customized options for the operation of the door that are dealer enabled. See page 569-570 of your owner's manual.

What happens if you hold the power back door rear close button for 2-3 seconds?

If nothing, disconnect the battery (Neg lead) for 5-10 minutes. Reconnect and then the back door must be initialized. To initialize, close the back door completely by hand and unlock the back door.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts